ADVERTISEMENT

No AJ

lol, he might. I didn’t find anything that was outright bashing Iowa. Just found that odd to add in a tweet about Iowa/Iowa state dual.

I think if you go back farther you could find some, but that’s relying on my memory which is not necessarily reliable. He could have scrubbed it too.
The WeAre is a nothing burger. I'm pretty sure, but not positive, there was a time he may have had derogatory comments about Iowa, but I'm asking for within the past three years, which is when he's matured. Gilman is a very nice guy now.

Still waiting for @Is_there_vodka_in_heaven to show his negative posts.

The WeAre is a nothing burger. I'm pretty sure, but not positive, there was a time he may have had derogatory comments about Iowa, but I'm asking for within the past three years, which is when he's matured. Gilman is a very nice guy now.

Is that just how Penn Staters sign off? End a phone call, “ok bye! We Are!” ?

He matured three years ago? Excellent news.

Seriously, I get why Gilman had to leave Iowa. It's not as though TnT were going to help him game-plan how to wrestle Spencer in free-style, and before Spencer's recent injuries, there was every reason to think as early as 2020 that those two would be battling each other for a spot on the national team. It made perfect sense for TG to go to another program. Gilman could have been a little more gracious when leaving -- the lack of a NCAA title notwithstanding, he improved by leaps and bounds under the Brands -- but that's water under the bridge. A Lee-Gilman finals at the trials would be must-see wrestling. I'm hoping it happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub and MAGAman
Here are my proposals for new blood:

Iowa should bring in Strittmatter as an assistant coach. Wrestlers like him, he's a successful club coach, and he can help improve recruiting.

Iowa should also hire Willie as the recruiting coordinator. Willie has good rapport with many of the top wrestlers in the country. Couple that with the Iowa brand and a new facility, it seems like the timing would be good.

Sorry but no.

Can we please get someone on staff that hasn't wrestled for a Brands?

How can we learn new things with the "SAME" coaches/athletes?

Get new blood/ideas into this program.

Change is needed unless you always want to come in 2nd or lower.
What about TJ Williams? HOF wrestler, winningest Hawkeye ever. Has been coaching at his academy and at the HS level for a number of years. Great mentor as well.

Seriously, I get why Gilman had to leave Iowa. It's not as though TnT were going to help him game-plan how to wrestle Spencer in free-style, and before Spencer's recent injuries, there was every reason to think as early as 2020 that those two would be batting each other for a spot on the national team. It made perfect sense for TG to go to another program. Gilman could have been a little more gracious when leaving -- the lack of a NCAA title notwithstanding, he improved by leaps and bounds under the Brands -- but that's water under the bridge. A Lee-Gilman finals at the trials would be must-see wrestling. I'm hoping it happens.
You could have done without the first sentence.

I agree with most of the rest and would love to see a Gilman-Lee finals.

Reactions: Gusaford
It actually makes you look silly wen considering you are using that to show Gilman has been disrespectful to iowa, or did you forget why you joined the conversation?

Still waiting for @Is_there_vodka_in_heaven to show us the data.
I more posted the only thing I could find which could possibly be intepreted as “shade”. I never called it hate or disrespect.

I’d be happy if Tom would just go out an recruit the top HS kids. For him, however, kid has to want to be here, it’s beneath him to try to sell kids on being a Hawkeye.
Is there really solid intel to say Tom is not doing this? People can always find some individual case where "only Bobby called" the recruit, but I find it doubtful Tom is not working hard here, at least now. Maybe took some things for granted in the past and that has gotten us behind a very big eight ball (PSU) to overcome now, but to imply he just sits around waiting to see what kid clearly wants to come here is doubtful. My concern is more that maybe he's not (or wasn't) targeting the right kind of athletes in today's wrestling landscape.

I'm not on the "fire Brands" bandwagon at this time, but even if I were I'm skeptical most of the names being thrown around as alternatives would be good head coaches. I think many would make fantastic alternatives as assistants to help with training and recruiting, but in a head coach you need someone who has more of those 'business' leadership skills, able to see the big picture and integrate all key components of a successful program (fundraising, motivation, training philosophy/nutrition, modern talent assessment). Then, surround yourself with the popular young studs who can train well and serve as indirect recruiters just because of their name). Not sure who that ideal HC may be, but clearly Cael has done it well (and yes, money indeed helped him get there).

Reactions: Bones Malone

Seriously, I get why Gilman had to leave Iowa. It's not as though TnT were going to help him game-plan how to wrestle Spencer in free-style, and before Spencer's recent injuries, there was every reason to think as early as 2020 that those two would be battling each other for a spot on the national team. It made perfect sense for TG to go to another program. Gilman could have been a little more gracious when leaving -- the lack of a NCAA title notwithstanding, he improved by leaps and bounds under the Brands -- but that's water under the bridge. A Lee-Gilman finals at the trials would be must-see wrestling. I'm hoping it happens.
Just like Brooks/Taylor, Nolf/Dake, Retherford/Lee, … 😉

The early years won were pre Sanderson dynasty.

Had a little run with the Spencer Lee effect, but that’s now gone.

Keep being content Randy.
If you were athletic director you would fire a coach that is selling out the arena, darn near single handily raised 30 million plus for a new venue , won an NCAA title 3 years ago?

Who would you hire >?

The interview was absolutely terrible. AJ opening the interview by giving context for his actions - that fans were making racist comments etc., toward him all day…

Seems this is a kid can’t get out of his own way and each time he opens his mouth he just makes things worse for himself.

I was in the corner of giving him a chance and trusting T/T … but the double finger salute … and then repeating over and over during the interview how he is such a godly man… nutshell - the kid is full of shit. And I don’t think there is any way this kid can last 3 years at one program … before f&@$ing something up …
Racist comments or slurs? Like guido douchebag? I live in eastern Pennsylvania and we’ve always had this kind of dim a few on many Jersey residents. They’ve polluted Poconos and well. If you know anything about the city of Philadelphia, I stay away from that trash town myself.

The last time I was down the Jersey shore approximately 40 years ago and I’ll never go back, at least again we had rock ‘n’ roll clubs, not these goofy, idiot, techno dance club for mostly dudes or dance with each other.

This parody video is almost 20 years old but fortunately many people took it to be a guide for behavior, not a parody video

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Didn’t know anything about Gilman prior to him coming to Iowa other than he was a hammer in Nebraska. I’m guessing he didn’t come in acting that way, but learned it under the Brands.
If that was the case, all the the Iowa guys would be d*cks too. They're not. I'm guessing that he's just built that way.

Look, we're all frustrated that we aren't contending for the team title right now. So is coach Brands. But your little smears and snorts won't help.

Racist comments or slurs? Like guido douchebag? I live in eastern Pennsylvania and we’ve always had this kind of dim a few on many Jersey residents. They’ve polluted Poconos and well. If you know anything about the city of Philadelphia, I stay away from that trash town myself.

The last time I was down the Jersey shore approximately 40 years ago and I’ll never go back, at least again we had rock ‘n’ roll clubs, not these goofy, idiot, techno dance club for mostly dudes or dance with each other.

This parody video is almost 20 years old but fortunately many people took it to be a guide for behavior, not a parody video
Don't blame the Jersey Shore for AJ's behavior. I've known lots of great Jersey guys, but no one like A.J. Hope that I never do.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Do you recall where Dan Gable wrestled? He seems to have worked out well.
Gable started the Hawkeye wrestling empire.
What about Mark Hall? Great guy, great wrestling resume. Popular with the up and coming kids. Almost 3 years as UPENN assistant coach. Creative wrestling mind. Wants to be a coach as a career. A bit thin on coaching resume, but I think he should be an option.
Barf, big fat NO, on Mark Hall

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
People laugh at the idea Ben coaching Iowa...gotta admit, the idea is kinda funny but there will be more Ben Askren developed kids that will win a National Championship this season than Iowa has had in the past 4 or 5 ...
Well then those kids should go to Iowa so we can win a got dam national f***ing championship.

Reactions: GiApet
People laugh at the idea Ben coaching Iowa...gotta admit, the idea is kinda funny but there will be more Ben Askren developed kids that will win a National Championship this season than Iowa has had in the past 4 or 5 ...

He's never been a collegiate coach of any kind. Any "laughing" is at the idea of him going from HS club coach into a prime D-1 coaching position.

Seems like a guy primed for a prominent assistant position and HC later, or mid-level HC if he's interested. He might not be.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
If we lose aj and Anthony what's the chances on getting chittum back?
giphy.gif

Reactions: GiApet and el dub
He's never been a collegiate coach of any kind. Any "laughing" is at the idea of him going from HS club coach into a prime D-1 coaching position.

Seems like a guy primed for a prominent assistant position and HC later, or mid-level HC if he's interested. He might not be.
He’s mentioned coaching at ASU. And Shawn Bormet was coaching club before Michigan so not totally unheard of

Reactions: lookleft goright

He was an assistant at both Mizzou and ASU…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT