ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

If this year's version of the Cubs was an automobile, they would have an automatic transmission.

They definitely do not have any clutch.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Most everyone knew the Cubs would stink this year.

Last year's little highlite reel by the new guys wasn't going to last once teams got film.

Once Contreras and Hendricks get moved, the purge will be complete.

Just be grateful that Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are in the division.

Most everyone knew the Cubs would stink this year.

Last year's little highlite reel by the new guys wasn't going to last once teams got film.

Once Contreras and Hendricks get moved, the purge will be complete.

Just be grateful that Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are in the division.
We are extremely fortunate in that regard.

We just might expect a total riot in Cincinnati before the All-Star game.

How come we can't play them yet? Each team's last 6 games are against each other, given the quirks of this season's delayed start schedule. Those 6 contests just might be for next season's top 2 or 3 draft choices. The Reds totally suck at this point.

We are extremely fortunate in that regard.

We just might expect a total riot in Cincinnati before the All-Star game.

How come we can't play them yet? Each team's last 6 games are against each other, given the quirks of this season's delayed start schedule. Those 6 contests just might be for next season's top 2 or 3 draft choices. The Reds totally suck at this point.
Can't imagine being a Red's player and what the mood in the clubhouse would be.

Feel bad for a guy like Votto, who has to endure this.

Reactions: TheCainer
I’ll say it again, this season has been what I expected. This season was all about getting actual answers on guys who were strong in a 2-month sample last year. We’re still in the small sample size category right now, but it’s looking like we have answers on several guys:
  • Schwindel - he’s really struggled and if I had to decide today, he’s a no.
  • Wisdom - he’s showing that he can play. He’s going to K a lot, but he has solid power and plays a good 3B (note: I’m not saying he’s the answer at 3B, but he is a legit major leaguer).
  • Hoerner is showing he can play SS and he’s been pretty consistent at the plate.
  • Happ is off to a good start, we’ll see if he can avoid another Jekyll & Hyde season.
  • Suzuki is going to continue to play the adjustment game, but the guy can play.
  • The Cubs show they can still build a bullpen on the fly and now some of the arms are homegrown. There will be several from this group that could be trade pieces at the deadline.
  • Rivas has been a pleasant surprise. Need to see more, but he needs to be in the lineup regularly at this point.
  • Madrigal is struggling. I wouldn’t be opposed to him going back to AAA for a stretch.
  • Hermosillo still needs more playing time, but he’s made some horrendous mistakes.
  • Ortega ain’t the guy.
  • In the young pitcher department, Alzolay has been hurt, Steele has been disappointing, but Keegan Thompson has been absolutely outstanding.
There’s no need for them to trade anyone, but they certainly may deal Contreras. I think there’s value in signing him and keeping him as part of the next winning team, but he’d also bring a decent haul. I don’t see much value in trading Hendricks unless someone overbids. He’s a #3 starter with a very reasonable contract. He pitches really well at Wrigley, which might make him more valuable as a Cub than anywhere else. Absolutely no need for the Cubs to trade him unless someone blows them away with an offer.

If I ran the Cubs right now, the first thing I’d do is DFA Heyward and, if nobody signed him to the league minimum, offer him an organizational position with an eye on bringing him back as a coach. DFA helps everyone - it gives the Cubs a few more ABs and defensive innings to spread around guys they’re trying to make decisions on and it gives Heyward a chance to catch on with a contending team if there’s someone out there that wants a little value for a league-minimum deal. I hate Heyward’s value at $25M, but if I’m a contender with the need for an extra OF glove and veteran presence, I don’t hate him at $750K.

I’ll say it again, this season has been what I expected. This season was all about getting actual answers on guys who were strong in a 2-month sample last year. We’re still in the small sample size category right now, but it’s looking like we have answers on several guys:
  • Wisdom - he’s showing that he can play. He’s going to K a lot, but he has solid power and plays a good 3B (note: I’m not saying he’s the answer at 3B, but he is a legit major leaguer).
  • Hoerner is showing he can play SS and he’s been pretty consistent at the plate.
  • Happ is off to a good start, we’ll see if he can avoid another Jekyll & Hyde season.
  • Suzuki is going to continue to play the adjustment game, but the guy can play.
  • The Cubs show they can still build a bullpen on the fly and now some of the arms are homegrown. There will be several from this group that could be trade pieces at the deadline.
  • Rivas has been a pleasant surprise. Need to see more, but he needs to be in the lineup regularly at this point.
  • Madrigal is struggling. I wouldn’t be opposed to him going back to AAA for a stretch.
  • Hermosillo still needs more playing time, but he’s made some horrendous mistakes.
  • Ortega ain’t the guy.
  • In the young pitcher department, Alzolay has been hurt, Steele has been disappointing, but Keegan Thompson has been absolutely outstanding.
There’s no need for them to trade anyone, but they certainly may deal Contreras. I think there’s value in signing him and keeping him as part of the next winning team, but he’d also bring a decent haul. I don’t see much value in trading Hendricks unless someone overbids. He’s a #3 starter with a very reasonable contract. He pitches really well at Wrigley, which might make him more valuable as a Cub than anywhere else. Absolutely no need for the Cubs to trade him unless someone blows them away with an offer.

If I ran the Cubs right now, the first thing I’d do is DFA Heyward and, if nobody signed him to the league minimum, offer him an organizational position with an eye on bringing him back as a coach. DFA helps everyone - it gives the Cubs a few more ABs and defensive innings to spread around guys they’re trying to make decisions on and it gives Heyward a chance to catch on with a contending team if there’s someone out there that wants a little value for a league-minimum deal. I hate Heyward’s value at $25M, but if I’m a contender with the need for an extra OF glove and veteran presence, I don’t hate him at $750K.
Thanks! Right or wrong I appreciate reading analysis like this.

• Ortega ain’t the guy.

Thanks, I've saved a lot of time this season not watching and just catching occasional highlights but I do appreciate the analysis. Totally agree on Heyward DFA

Thanks, I've saved a lot of time this season not watching and just catching occasional highlights but I do appreciate the analysis. Totally agree on Heyward DFA
I would love it if there’s a path to keeping Heyward in the organization in some capacity, or if there’s a contender that wants a bench OF glove, awesome, but he can’t be eating ABs that should be going to “maybes”. Even if guys like Ortega, Hermosillo and Frazier prove to be nothing, the Cubs will have had the chance to see that they’re not viable and can move them along.

Miley is on the way back (rehab start in AAA the other day) and Mills is throwing. Frazier will be back from appendicitis and David Bote will be back in early June. Heyward has to be one of the moves when those guys come back.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
I’m shocked that Heyward didn’t hit a home run in the 9th. Then the narrative could be spun that he’s turning things around.

Schwindel gets sent down, but that sack of balls Heyward is still on the roster? Hey, if Schwindel needs to work on some stuff, fine, but if it’s about production start cutting and get guys in who can play. Don’t base things off of salary owed.

Schwindel gets sent down, but that sack of balls Heyward is still on the roster? Hey, if Schwindel needs to work on some stuff, fine, but if it’s about production start cutting and get guys in who can play. Don’t base things off of salary owed.
100%. Heyward is sunk cost. Cut him and you’re replacing him with a young player making nothing. Move on. It also gives Heyward a shot at catching on somewhere else.

When do the Cubs get to play the Reds? Do they have to wait until the Reds get "hot"?

The Cubs current schedule is kind of a Murderer's Row when one considers that their current/recent opponents were Division favorites at the start of the season. Now after playing SD next, they get the D'backs who are probably this season's most surprising team.

Thankfully, when the Cubs do get back home, they at least get to play Pittsburgh, again. 🥴

Reactions: hawkifann
When do the Cubs get to play the Reds? Do they have to wait until the Reds get "hot"?

The Cubs current schedule is kind of a Murderer's Row when one considers that their current/recent opponents were Division favorites at the start of the season. Now after playing SD next, they get the D'backs who are probably this season's most surprising team.

Thankfully, when the Cubs do get back home, they at least get to play Pittsburgh, again. 🥴
I still think this is a 75-85 win team. We’re seeing some guys who are clearly not future key pieces right now, but that was important to go through. The Cubs are doing this without 3 guys who were widely thought to be part of their opening day rotation (Miley, Mills, Alzolay). There are some guys in the minors who are probably going to be knocking on the door in June.

This isn’t a playoff team, but I don’t think this is a top 5 pick team either. I’m looking forward to the 2nd half of the season when maybe the rotation is Stroman, Miley, Hendricks, Smyly and Caleb Kilian with a bullpen full of Keegan Thompson, Scott Effross, Adbert Alzolay, Justin Steele, etc. Hopefully Brennan Davis can take over CF at some point this year. Before the season is over, this is going to be a team that’s fun to watch.

It sounds like the team may have a bit of a Covid problem. Stroman, and now Robertson.

What could be more Cubs than having men at 2nd and 3rd with nobody out in the 1st, and failing to score. ☹️

Reactions: TheCainer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT