ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

I suppose if it’s only guys officially listed in the portal. And it’s a significant point scorer it has to be Ailerez or Carroll. Unless a guy like Cardenas or Hendrickson are backing out of initial portal commit. I don’t think Carrol scores much more than Glazier but it would be nice to have him for 4 years if he can continue to make 197. Plus he would be a great workout partner for BK. I’d still absolutely love it if Nate came home to man 125/133 opposite of Drake. Ailerez would be a great 1 year rental and bonus if he stayed and trained at the HWC to train with Spencer and Austin.
I know it’s freestyle but Carroll just beat Warner and Cass so I would think he would score more points then Glaizer who last year scored 1pt.

Remember he is a PSU fan. I would be very positive, warm and fuzzy saying it would be the best thing for PSU next year to show Kerk and Star the door 😉
Touche.:)
For me, no wrestler should be gifted a 5th tournament. Not for Covid, Black Death, Spanish Flu, or the GD Plague. My brain must be addled, because I’ll never follow the logic of how a pandemic year translates into an “extra” podium chance. If it stole one of your tickets, by all means, stay till you’ve cashed all four. NOT five.
That said, I get why young athletes that can get paid well to do something they like while pondering a career are taking advantage of the NCAA’s gift. For our two thread camps, at least it'll result in some much better bouts between a beefed-up, mat-focused Kueter and Kerk.

For me, no wrestler should be gifted a 5th tournament. Not for Covid, Black Death, Spanish Flu, or the GD Plague. My brain must be addled, because I’ll never follow the logic of how a pandemic year translates into an “extra” podium chance. If it stole one of your tickets, by all means, stay till you’ve cashed all four. NOT five.
That said, I get why young athletes that can get paid well to do something they like while pondering a career are taking advantage of the NCAA’s gift. For our two thread camps, at least it'll result in some much better bouts between a beefed-up, mat-focused Kueter and Kerk.
I think the logic was to avoid mass redshirting and deferred enrollments during 20-21. There was a real possibility of cancelling another season. It’s the decision they rolled with. Not perfect but it’s what they did. It stinks for the 2020 seniors but they didn’t want to deal with the scholarship and budget mess. It’s unfortunate.

For me, no wrestler should be gifted a 5th tournament. Not for Covid, Black Death, Spanish Flu, or the GD Plague. My brain must be addled, because I’ll never follow the logic of how a pandemic year translates into an “extra” podium chance.

Because there were so many unknowns and hesitancy heading into the 2020-21 school year, they FINALLY did something with the athletes in mind and took any eligibility risk out of competing. I don’t know why everyone gets so pissy about 5 years…when it went from 3 to 4 it didn’t ruin anything. Breathe, my friend.

According to Willie the portal for OSU is closed now so it has to be someone already in the portal

That is correct. I was thinking it is 60 days, but it is 30.

I just don’t see anyone that will make in impact besides those 3 and if it’s not cannon and Carroll is going ISU only one left would be barraclough but he’s not a need weight.

There has been no announcement about Carroll to ISU, for the record.

Don't see that (Cannon) as a difference maker. I can't imagine he'd have us all on edge for that announcment. However, I'd love a Nate announcement.

A guy who hasn’t wrestled in years, and not at all in college, who quit due to burnout and concussions = awesome.

A two time AA = meh

😂

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I know it’s freestyle but Carroll just beat Warner and Cass so I would think he would score more points then Glaizer who last year scored 1pt.
He didn't make 197 to do that. His talent is not the question, it's whether he has anything left at 197. One of the last times he was at 195 in highschool was the club duals a couple years ago where he got pinned by Kueter and then passed out in a match later in the day. He then went to 220 and killed Kueter at Fargo.

If he can somehow hold 197 and be comfortable and effective, it would be a no brainer over Zach. This guy was the #1 pfp guy in his class, Ben was 2nd. I just worry about his size. If this happens, Zach will be pulling his hair out. What he did in the SS match to trigger bad decisions by AJ, which ultimately lead to him being rejected by Iowa was brilliant. Probably thought he was home free this year as our only 197.

Cannon is a multiple time AA - that’s so many more points than we have coming right now
Yeah, but not an ex
Cannon is a multiple time AA - that’s so many more points than we have coming right now
Yep, a couple 7th or 8th place finishes, give or take. What is that? 3 or 4 points per NCAA tournament? Don't think that's going to stir up a lot of excitement in this environment. And also don't think that's "so many more" points. To get "so many more" points we're going to need really high AA guys, not 7th or 8th placers. But I appreciatae your enthusiasm. :)

Reactions: eb05
If he can somehow hold 197 and be comfortable and effective, it would be a no brainer over Zach. This guy was the #1 pfp guy in his class, Ben was 2nd. I just worry about his size. If this happens, Zach will be pulling his hair out. What he did in the SS match to trigger bad decisions by AJ, which ultimately lead to him being rejected by Iowa was brilliant. Probably thought he was home free this year as our only 197.
Knock it off. AJ consistently makes bad decisions on his own. Stop blaming others for his bad decisions. That’s what a narcissist does. Full stop.

What he did in the SS match to trigger bad decisions by AJ, which ultimately lead to him being rejected by Iowa was brilliant. Probably thought he was home free this year as our only 197.

I don’t know what you're smoking, but I’m 83% sure that it isn’t even legal in Amsterdam.

Knock it off. AJ consistently makes bad decisions on his own. Stop blaming others for his bad decisions. That’s what a narcissist does. Full stop.
Not blaming Zach at all, he knew his propensity for making bad decisions, he knew he just needed to provide alittle spark to light the fire of emotional stupidity. AJ needed to have the smarts and emotional control to realize what was going on, and just run away from the fight, but he predictably didn’t, and never made it on the team.

I don’t know what you're smoking, but I’m 83% sure that it isn’t even legal in Amsterdam.
I’m 83% sure many of you dudes have FDS ( Ferrari derangement syndrome), and need to get over it as much as I need to get over my disappointment the older two Ferrari’s will never wrestle for us. We may still have one of them on our team for 4-5 years, and may be our best wrestler in 2-3 years, so the family will still be Hawkeyes.

Yeah, but not an ex

Yep, a couple 7th or 8th place finishes, give or take. What is that? 3 or 4 points per NCAA tournament? Don't think that's going to stir up a lot of excitement in this environment. And also don't think that's "so many more" points. To get "so many more" points we're going to need really high AA guys, not 7th or 8th placers. But I appreciatae your enthusiasm. :)

for some reason people can’t grasp that a low aa does essentially nothing for team scores when the goal is to win the team title.

it’s not a knock on anyone in particular but when we are having these transfer portal discussions it’s essential to understand the cost versus benefit of these 1 year rental type guys and what they are really bringing to the table.

Yeah, but not an ex

Is that right??? I thought aa points are like minimum of 10-12. Honest question.

Is that right??? I thought aa points are like minimum of 10-12. Honest question.
If you get 8th place, that earns you 3 placement points, 7th earns 4 placement points

Let's say you get to the 7th/8th match by making the QF, losing, and then winning in the blood round before losing in the consolation quarterfinals. In that case you get 2 advancement points on the front side and .5 advancement on the backside. Therefore 7th place is worth 6.5 plus bonus and 8th place is worth 5.5 plus bonus. Not nothing, but a team of 10 7th place finishers is only worth 65 points plus bonus, far below what a team needs to meaningfully be in the race for the title

If you get 8th place, that earns you 3 placement points, 7th earns 4 placement points

Let's say you get to the 7th/8th match by making the QF, losing, and then winning in the blood round before losing in the consolation quarterfinals. In that case you get 2 advancement points on the front side and .5 advancement on the backside. Therefore 7th place is worth 6.5 plus bonus and 8th place is worth 5.5 plus bonus. Not nothing, but a team of 10 7th place finishers is only worth 65 points plus bonus, far below what a team needs to meaningfully be in the race for the title
Exactly. I did a 10 year analysis once, and here is how many points each AA brings to the final tally on average (WITH bonus included):

1st 23
2nd 18
3rd 15
4th 13
5th 12
6th 10
7th 8
8th 7
R12 3-4

Some will think that because they have so many more matches that guys in the consis should have more bonus but we need to remember they have to save energy for the next match and aren't going for the techs, etc. 8-3 decision, healthy and moving on is the goal.

Definitely single digits for 7th-8th place, even after bonus points are factored in.

Placement points (not including bonus pts)
1st place: 16 points
2nd place: 12 points
3rd place: 10 points
4th place: 9 points
5th place: 7 points
6th place: 6 points
7th place: 4 points
8th place: 3 points

But 10 6th placers gets you 90 plus bonus and does put you in the mix for the title (obviously with some of those bettering 6th).

I’m 83% sure many of you dudes have FDS ( Ferrari derangement syndrome), and need to get over it as much as I need to get over my disappointment the older two Ferrari’s will never wrestle for us. We may still have one of them on our team for 4-5 years, and may be our best wrestler in 2-3 years, so the family will still be Hawkeyes.

They are all independent people. I have yet to see anyone disparage Angelo or say they wish he wouldn’t come. You need to get your nose out of their dirty, greasy jocks.

for some reason people can’t grasp that a low aa does essentially nothing for team scores when the goal is to win the team title.

Team title? 😂 Some people need a smack in the face by big ole dick of reality: Iowa is miles away from a team title. This is now about putting the best possible team on the mat to maximize points and stay relevant.

Team titles…lol

Last edited:
Not blaming Zach at all, he knew his propensity for making bad decisions, he knew he just needed to provide alittle spark to light the fire of emotional stupidity. AJ needed to have the smarts and emotional control to realize what was going on, and just run away from the fight, but he predictably didn’t, and never made it on the team.
Blaming others is a bad look. You ARE blaming ZG. It’s almost like you’re part of their family. You’re trying to make AJ out as a victim. That’s what cluster B folks do at every opportunity.

I’m so f***ing tired of alternate reality programming.

5/5 ? I have it 4/6
Ayala > Kysen
Kale < Frost
Block < Ech
Parco > Swiderski
Cobe < Paniro
Cali > Chittum
PK/Gabe > Gaitan
Nelson > Tate?
Glazier < Carroll
BK < Bastida
5/5 and this is the absolute best lineup ISU can put out there. Ech said he’s going up which leaves a hole at 41 where I would assume frost would move into, creating a hole at 33. Paniro forces chittum up where I would expect him to be undersized.

Ayala > Kysen
Kale < Frost
Block < Ech
Parco > Swiderski
Cobe < Paniro
Cali > Chittum
PK/Gabe > Gaitan
Nelson > Tate?
Glazier < Carroll
BK < Bastida
5/5 and this is the absolute best lineup ISU can put out there. Ech said he’s going up which leaves a hole at 41 where I would assume frost would move into, creating a hole at 33. Paniro forces chittum up where I would expect him to be undersized.
You are not close to the line up and alot of nil dollars left to spend. Where is Arnold the great here?

They are all independent people. I have yet to see anyone disparage Angelo or say they wish he wouldn’t come. You need to get your nose out of their dirty, greasy jocks.

Team title? 😂 Some people need a smack in the face by big ole dick of reality: Iowa is miles away from a team title. This is now about putting the best possible team on the mat to maximize points and stay relevant.

Team titles…lol

that’s kind of my point. trying to nickel and dime your way to short term relevance has not and will not put iowa in position to win.

now it’s probably a bigger discussion to be had on whether our recruiting woes are related to too much focus on the transfer portal or are we just using the portal more because of recruiting failures? that i don’t know.

I would be cool with us landing powe if he's still in the portal.

Animated GIF

If Iowa had one more 8th place finish, they take second. It does matter. Penn State wouldn't have won one of their titles but for the 8th place finish of James English.
I don't recall anyone saying it didn't matter; it was more like it's not all that many points and certainly not worthy of a "Holy shit, guess who's coming to Iowa" thread. :)

I would be cool with us landing powe if he's still in the portal. That dude could be good if he trained in our room
Poor kid faced a couple monsters for his 2 NCAA losses. That said, if you look at the talent he wrestled last season I didn't really see anyone meaningful until the losses to Mendez and Cole Matthews at NCAAs. Sure I'd take him, but I'm not throwing scholarship money or anything else at him as I didn't/don't see anything there that tells me I'm looking at a future sure fire AA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT