ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Dual

Looking forward to 165. I think it’s a good style matchup. Caliendo is one of the few wrestlers athletic enough to hang with MM. should be a good test to see where both those guys are.

174 I’m worried about. Should be a solid reach advantage and Pk isn’t the best finisher against athletic opponents. Hopefully his pace doesn’t backfire against him. That one might get ugly.

No just no, we have blinders on but there are several states that are better.
No there aren't.....

its-just-facts-facts.gif

Looking forward to 165. I think it’s a good style matchup. Caliendo is one of the few wrestlers athletic enough to hang with MM. should be a good test to see where both those guys are.

174 I’m worried about. Should be a solid reach advantage and Pk isn’t the best finisher against athletic opponents. Hopefully his pace doesn’t backfire against him. That one might get ugly.
i’d be impressed if PK got to starocci’s legs at all. his head hands are as good as it gets.

i’d be impressed if PK got to starocci’s legs at all. his head hands are as good as it gets.
Yeah I’m actually worried about Pk getting pinned. CS has such a reach advantage and is athletic as hell. I could see Pk getting cradled up. 174 could be as ugly as 165 is fun. Time will tell.

honest question, who was the last great iowa wrestler who was at his best his final year?

long long list of guys with disappointing senior years

not many for sure.

to be fair though it’s a common theme across ncaa wrestling though which is why i don’t get the obsession with top guys taking redshirts. if gabe is banged up like rumored then it makes sense but if not i don’t get it.

Reactions: Rotisserie Scrotz
Marl Hall was just commenting on how Gable Steveson was talked up about being the next Cael Sanderson.. Anybody else catch that?

Does Hall remember what was said about him before college?

Watching the match with some buddies. Admittedly not the biggest Iowa fans. Just had a conversation about how a few years ago we were all at a high school tournament with our kids. Saw Van Dee, Kasak, Haines, Kilkeary etc. Quite a few college coaches there as well. We have never seen an Iowa coach at any of these events. Iowa high school wrestling is awesome, but why no reps in this area. I'm sure there is a bunch of kids in this area that would just love to wrestle in Carver. For real not trying to start any garbage, just curious. That environment is such a freaking selling point.

Looking at the lats, cut, and energy of the PSU guys, you can’t tell me that their conditioning for wrestling isn’t better than ours. Also, when is the last Iowa wrestler to give up the first TD to PSU and win a match? Kill, or be killed should be our mentality out of the gates.

They almost all seem better built. People claimed last year that Haines was barely cutting. I call BS.

No there aren't.....

its-just-facts-facts.gif
To support your claim I will add that Iowa won the team dual championship 2 of the last three years. I’ll also add that not all states attend that and that New Jersey and Pennsylvania and maybe California is comparable if not better than Iowa.

But yes, Iowa high school wrestling is held in high regard. Just not sure you could claim them as the best.

yeah i’m mostly talking about title contending type guys, but they still get credit for guys like murin and desanto too. i don’t know if murin was better his senior year, but he wasnt worse.

and im not specifically talking about final placement either. ramos was worse his senior year, but got it done in march. gilman finished worse, but was better his senior year.
Fair enough. But with Iowa’s history, let’s set the minimum bar for “great” at 2x champ.

So who was the last 2x champ (or better) to peak his final season?

Not Spencer. Not Brent. Not Matty McD. Now we’re gonna have to go back to a time before the Brands era. Hmmm……

Watching the match with some buddies. Admittedly not the biggest Iowa fans. Just had a conversation about how a few years ago we were all at a high school tournament with our kids. Saw Van Dee, Kasak, Haines, Kilkeary etc. Quite a few college coaches there as well. We have never seen an Iowa coach at any of these events. Iowa high school wrestling is awesome, but why no reps in this area. I'm sure there is a bunch of kids in this area that would just love to wrestle in Carver. For real not trying to start any garbage, just curious. That environment is such a freaking selling point.
Do you know what Telford even looks like? :cool:

Reactions: 4net3sandbagger
To support your claim I will add that Iowa won the team dual championship 2 of the last three years. I’ll also add that not all states attend that and that New Jersey and Pennsylvania and maybe California is comparable if not better than Iowa.

But yes, Iowa high school wrestling is held in high regard. Just not sure you could claim them as the best.
I can when it's the truth.......:cool:

....................................have you?

Hopefully, that's not some attempt at a flex on your part. 🫠
Sure when I had kids wrestling on iowa national youth teams and yeah, we arent as good as you think after about the age of 12, it's a toss up in the 10 and under crowd, I'd put iowa at 5th at best after kids hit the age of 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT