ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting vs psu

You’re one smug prick you know that? I’d bet you do, JTS. But let’s talk about what else kids saw tonight...they saw Spencer Lee win his 3rd title in a row win no ACL’s. They also saw Iowa beat PSU for the first time in ten years. Sure, penn state performed and they’re talented as hell but like I’ve said time and again, Carl is one of the best game planners. Do you really believe Starocci is better than Kem right now? You’re a liar if you say yes. Is nick lee better than jaydin? I’d say maybe but it’s close. Excellent showing by psu, no doubt but kids will see heart by Iowa (Spencer, for sure) and running and game planning by psu. If I were a kid watching I’d rather be a skilled Iowa wrestler than a decent psu wrestler with a great game plan. The Brands’ will adapt and be better for it or they’ll be gone but kids saw excellent wrestling from Iowa and excellent preparation from psu. And last but not least, go eat a dick because for at least another year, champs baby! CHAMPS!
Classy!

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
They're mostly freshmen with a big upside. That’s what.

If you've followed college wrestling for a long time, and give some thought to wrestlers' development, you'll recognize that almost all wrestlers plateau at some point. Some 4-time state champs are hailed as can't miss D1 prospects who will probably win several NCAA titles, yet they never see the starting lineup. Some AA their freshman year, but never progress much and 7th may be the highest they ever place. Some don't even win a h.s. state title, yet go one to big success in college. Some improve year to year, others stagnate/plateau and never seem to improve.

I think that most people, myself included, get caught up in expectations that Joe Wrestler, who looked really good his freshman year, will improve year to year and become a title threat, when in fact that usually fails to happen. So "a big upside" is fairly meaningless - all those freshmen did was perform well this year, but we'll see how they improve/perform next year...same with wrestlers from ALL schools.

I'm not sure, but I was a diehard college wrestling fan for a good 15+ years and Bael has all but run me away from the sport. His scummy behavior is really a problem.
Fair. Weather. Fan. Not as much fun after Gable left?

Cael and the boys are living rent free in your mind.
You guys just won a NCAA championship and you are worried about who he is recruiting. My god.

Reactions: Ruby Tues
Fair. Weather. Fan. Not as much fun after Gable left?

Cael and the boys are living rent free in your mind.
You guys just won a NCAA championship and you are worried about who he is recruiting. My god.

I am from New York and am an ACC school fan. I have zero ties to Iowa. I just think this is a good board and migrated here a long time ago after TheMat.com went to crap, though I have never been a big poster. I am not an Iowa fan like most, though I like and respect them as a program.

I am just VERY negative on Bael, for a variety of reasons, and think he is pretty much the worst thing in amateur wrestling. Total scumbag.

How does anybody knock PSU for winning by recruiting better? If that’s what it takes, why wouldn’t any school try and recruit better? They clearly have good coaching. If their working harder at recruiting, have better creativity at finding alternative funding for expenses, have a better wrestling club, a better funded club, or whatever they are doing, we need to doing whatever they are doing. No reason we shouldn’t be getting 3-4 Top 20 guys each year (1-2 of which are in Top 5). No doubt kids are coming in more developed, ready to go, so it’s a no brainer to recruit better.

How does anybody knock PSU for winning by recruiting better? If that’s what it takes, why wouldn’t any school try and recruit better? They clearly have good coaching. If their working harder at recruiting, have better creativity at finding alternative funding for expenses, have a better wrestling club, a better funded club, or whatever they are doing, we need to doing whatever they are doing. No reason we shouldn’t be getting 3-4 Top 20 guys each year (1-2 of which are in Top 5). No doubt kids are coming in more developed, ready to go, so it’s a no brainer to recruit better.
Because Iowa amongst others play by the rules

We won, no need to be petty at this point. Pennsylvania year and year out has top tier talent, fairly easy to see how Cael recruits so well. Plus playing the age card with some of these guys is the pot calling the kettle black. Remember, Iowa won, go ahead and enjoy it.

Reactions: pumpdog20
To kids, an individual championship comes first. Sorry...it just does. Id also say the other guys in the lineup are all pretty much freshman and just stayed relatively close to the very best veteran squad Iowa has put out in ten years. The team EVERONE predicted would run away from the field.
They did run away with it. When you clinch before the final session that's what it's called. A runaway ass-kicking.

PSU is getting the quick twitch, freak athletes. That showed up in a big way Saturday night.
Iowa has a lineup of very technical, hard-nosed guys, and yes, TnT do well with them...as a whole, they're not the same caliber of recruit PSU gets.

Let me take a wild guess. Your guess the last two years was PSU was going win too. If Brands gets 1 to Cael's 3 P4P recruits he will win team titles. We just can't afford to get 0 to PSU's 3 a year.
Actually no, last year I believed Iowa was the solid favorite going into the big ten tournament and a solid favorite this year. I was unsure about this year with the erratic schedule . I was encouraged by PSU's performance and thought they had an outside chance to win , probably a solid second , and was hopeful for two individual championships , Young or Lee and Brooks. I thought Starocci was a dark horse possibility .
If is a very big word, it works both ways.

PSU is getting the quick twitch, freak athletes. That showed up in a big way Saturday night.
Iowa has a lineup of very technical, hard-nosed guys, and yes, TnT do well with them...as a whole, they're not the same caliber of recruit PSU gets.

They get the cream of the crop in recruiting but we still managed to be better the past 2 seasons. We need to do the best we can to try and get similar level recruits. If we had the same level recruits carl would likely not be real happy with the outcome, like at ISU.

They get the cream of the crop in recruiting but we still managed to be better the past 2 seasons. We need to do the best we can to try and get similar level recruits. If we had the same level recruits carl would likely not be real happy with the outcome, like at ISU.
If is a big word. You can't take recruiting out of coaching since it's part of the job of the coach to get the best recruits .

They did run away with it. When you clinch before the final session that's what it's called. A runaway ass-kicking.
You had PSUs second worst team in a decade still in it Saturday against the best team Iowa could piece together in ten years. No, that wasnt a runaway.

I'll give you this much tho, PSU didnt seem to be having much f** Saturday night. Oh wait....

You had PSUs second worst team in a decade still in it Saturday against the best team Iowa could piece together in ten years. No, that wasnt a runaway.

I'll give you this much tho, PSU didnt seem to be having much f** Saturday night. Oh wait....
Why do you keep bragging about Cael having a bad team? Cael should never have a bad team. This team had as much or more TALENT than any PSU team, or any team, in history. He also essentially has 50 world class training partners and de facto assistant coaches helping him = NLWC. Being young is not even a disadvantage anymore either. Have you even watched NCAA wrestling the last decade? Cael got out coached. Why the hell he didn't make Nick Lee go 149 and Bartlett to 141 is beyond nuts. Everyone in the country knew that was the best lineup and most likely could have been the point difference when Marinelli defaults. And don't get me wrong I am not bitching about the NLWC. I commend him for getting that much talent in one room, I just hope he is doing it on the up and up. Brands out coached him while in pretty much the beginning stages of building our own version of a super club.

What is the last recruiting battle the Hawks won against penn st? Spencer? Ayala? This question is not a criticism of the staff, I’m more curious what kids we were/are both after.

Iowa has done pretty well recruiting, while more so attracting stud trasfers. Short of Kirk, which is a big one, our transfers have been marginal, while recruiting very strong. Then there is OSU which on paper had been the strongest recruiter for a while.

Like the NFL you can build through the draft or free agency, but once they are in the room you have to deliver. There is more than one way to stay competitive and neither transfers or recruits guarantee championships.

There are booms and busts everywhere - we had a 4x can't miss Jimmy Guilibon who missed, and we had an under the radar Cassar who will probably be Gable's only NCAA loses ever.

These F*** state troll d*ckheads are honestly just a bunch of real low lives. I guess that is why what is happening over there in fun land is OK? They are all low lives!

You really must be a brain dead F-in moron to believe that ANY program, with ANY coach, could out recruit the next several program COMBINED on a level playing field.

The stupidity of thinking that all these wrestlers families are throwing away 100s of thousands of dollars just to be there is unreal. It was pointed out by Ryan, Brands, and maybe a few others that the NCAA and the F*** land compliance department are turning a blind eye to what is taking place PERIOD!!!

You continue to toss your horse shiy around after getting stomped the last 2 years with "on paper based on recruiting rankings" by far, the team that should have walked away with it!

Our mid range type recruits out performed your line up of top recruits and did it easy! Put that in your crack pipes and smoke it!!!!

These F*** state troll d*ckheads are honestly just a bunch of real low lives. I guess that is why what is happening over there in fun land is OK? They are all low lives!

You really must be a brain dead F-in moron to believe that ANY program, with ANY coach, could out recruit the next several program COMBINED on a level playing field.

The stupidity of thinking that all these wrestlers families are throwing away 100s of thousands of dollars just to be there is unreal. It was pointed out by Ryan, Brands, and maybe a few others that the NCAA and the F*** land compliance department are turning a blind eye to what is taking place PERIOD!!!

You continue to toss your horse shiy around after getting stomped the last 2 years with "on paper based on recruiting rankings" by far, the team that should have walked away with it!

Our mid range type recruits out performed your line up of top recruits and did it easy! Put that in your crack pipes and smoke it!!!!
Your saltiness is delectable. I can feel the rage from PA.

Congrats on the win. So glad you're enjoying it.

Never understood why opposing fans go to other sites to talk smack (as if they are the ones who suited up)... PSU has a lot of talent in that room. Hard to beat them on a regular basis with that much fire power. Fortunately, Iowa currently has the arsenal to beat PSU... Iowa needs to reload big time to compete with PSU...

We have and are going to piss pound your Top Ten recruit lineup for 3 years running and possibly more. I'm guessing my enjoyment far exceeds yours, but it's your tears and excuses I enjoy the most.

Enjoy your First Loser trophy, Big Ten or NCAA's, take your pick. LOL!

Iowa has done pretty well recruiting, while more so attracting stud trasfers. Short of Kirk, which is a big one, our transfers have been marginal, while recruiting very strong. Then there is OSU which on paper had been the strongest recruiter for a while.

Like the NFL you can build through the draft or free agency, but once they are in the room you have to deliver. There is more than one way to stay competitive and neither transfers or recruits guarantee championships.

There are booms and busts everywhere - we had a 4x can't miss Jimmy Guilibon who missed, and we had an under the radar Cassar who will probably be Gable's only NCAA loses ever.

Eierman is a stud transfer. ADS was not an AA before coming here and probably ranked outside the top 20 overall out of HS. Lugo the same no AA before coming as well and also low ranked HS recruit.

The whole we beat you with inferiot talent narrative is stupid to me. Our kids beat their kids this year. Those recruiting rankings coming out of high school don't win you matches once the whistle blows, but is an indicator. Both programs are great, both have kids in them that work extremely hard. Don't throw shade at the Hawk wrestlers so Brands can outshine Cael this year. Next year is going to be extremely competitive, I lean towards the Hawks if Lee is wrestling, towards PSU if he isn't. Penn State will be very good for several years, Iowa will have some reloading to do. Brands will coach them up, most of the kids he recruits don't miss because character means a lot to him during his recruiting process (not saying it doesn't for Cael). Just enjoy the championship for a few a days fellas!

Disagree in the sense that athletic prowess helped their offense on Saturday. In a combined 28 minutes of regulation wrestling, the four PSU champs scored zero takedowns. This is not like the PSU teams that dominated in the past.

Eierman is a stud transfer. ADS was not an AA before coming here and probably ranked outside the top 20 overall out of HS. Lugo the same no AA before coming as well and also low ranked HS recruit.
Well yeah but........LOL! These Ped State boys can't handle the fact their Top Ten factory has been getting their asses handed to them in a Team Tournament setting by anybody that doesn't recruit like them.

DeSanto and Lugo cranked it up big time when arriving in Iowa City. It is not debatable, and there is no reason to believe others won't in the future. That will be key to keeping up with the Slush Fund, especially when those p4p recruits don't "develop" like paper says they should, through redshirts, greyshirts, OTC years, all of it. They're doing things nobody else can do and still getting hammered by the Hawks.

Absolutely F'ing love it!

You sound insane but I'll explain it to you this way. If my son was D1 wrestling material and had a shot at PSU , he'd go there. First I can see him wrestle more often than the second farthest ? Big Ten school from where I live. Second, they have a great engineering program, which is what he majored in at college, Lehigh FWIW.
I had a certain amount saved for his school costs and any financial aid through sports would've been nice, but not necessary.
Some folk can actually afford to send their kids to college without any financial aid in a sport scholarship and have other reasons for choosing the arguably best wrestling program such as physical proximity and their parents are Alumni.

You sound insane but I'll explain it to you this way. If my son was D1 wrestling material and had a shot at PSU , he'd go there. First I can see him wrestle more often than the second farthest ? Big Ten school from where I live. Second, they have a great engineering program, which is what he majored in at college, Lehigh FWIW.
I had a certain amount saved for his school costs and any financial aid through sports would've been nice, but not necessary.
Some folk can actually afford to send their kids to college without any financial aid in a sport scholarship and have other reasons for choosing the arguably best wrestling program such as physical proximity and their parents are Alumni.
This post is 100% accurate for many folks.

All good points. I'd agree with you regarding my sons if they had a coach other than Bael, but, alas, here we are.

All good points. I'd agree with you regarding my sons if they had a coach other than Bael, but, alas, here we are.
Thanks, for me geographic proximity means a lot. Imaging what it would cost to see 6-10 meets where most cases it under a tank of gas travel cost wise, versus 800 or so miles? My kids owed 30k and 45k respectively, girl and boy twins. He had his masters in engineering, she graduated from PSU in four years.
Now let's say I lived in Muscatine or Davenport? They're going to Iowa most likely, especially him if he had D1 talent. Even though we are PSU grads.

Reactions: therod
Again the F*** state d*ckheads do not get it. As is pointed out.

A) Most of your line up is not freshman except in name.

B) most of your line up is either #1 at the weight recruit, or even #1 /top 10 P4p guys.

C) with that kind of fire power, to lose the last 2 years to IOWA which has nothing close to that. Shows really who is the better coaches and who has the better program. You got smoked by a team both this year and last, that has maybe a 1/4 of the high end recruits you have.

D) it does seem that your team is having more and more problems with wrestlers leaving etc. Will it even matter when you can just keep adding more and more top guys? Who knows? Just look at Heavy weight and 125 the last few years. I know of no other program with situations like these! I also know that no other program would not have had major setbacks if they did!!!!
Hey...relax IRONBIRDIE! Why so bitter?

Enjoy your team championship.

We‘ll continue to enjoy the limelight! Saturday night was FUN!!!

pretty small man to get your jollies talking crap on another's board, does it make you feel important

If you've followed college wrestling for a long time, and give some thought to wrestlers' development, you'll recognize that almost all wrestlers plateau at some point. Some 4-time state champs are hailed as can't miss D1 prospects who will probably win several NCAA titles, yet they never see the starting lineup. Some AA their freshman year, but never progress much and 7th may be the highest they ever place. Some don't even win a h.s. state title, yet go one to big success in college. Some improve year to year, others stagnate/plateau and never seem to improve.

I think that most people, myself included, get caught up in expectations that Joe Wrestler, who looked really good his freshman year, will improve year to year and become a title threat, when in fact that usually fails to happen. So "a big upside" is fairly meaningless - all those freshmen did was perform well this year, but we'll see how they improve/perform next year...same with wrestlers from ALL schools.
Hall and Tomasello were said to be probably going for four titles after their freshman year. Yet neither one got another title.

Reactions: HawkeyePA

Because of our team championship and Spencer Lee's heroics we are definitely in the lime light.

OH, I am relaxed and loving the smack down my HAWKS put on everyone including you kittens! Just like to keep things real!

As was pointed out by another member above, why come here and post your BS???? I have never posted a single thing on your board, not sure how many IOWA fans do? I have heard that if you post the crap like you D-heads post here. You get thrown off.

In any case, you try to put a spin on the stalling F*** state style that is now used by 100% of your wrestlers. Was not like this for the most part when you had several great wrestlers carrying the team. Now you have a game plan of backing up, playing defense and the edge, stall riding -especially riding on the near ankle etc.....

Lets see how this works out for your club wrestlers trying to move forward into international wrestling? I will answer it for you. IT WILL NOT!!! Watch all your club wrestlers fail come worlds and olympics.

Last edited:
OH, I am relaxed and loving the smack down my HAWKS put on everyone including you kittens! Just like to keep things real!

As was pointed out by another member above, why come here and post your BS???? I have never posted a single thing on your board, not sure how many IOWA fans do? I have heard that if you post the crap like you D-heads post here. You get thrown off.

In any case, you try to put a spin on the stalling F*** state style that is now used by 100% of your wrestlers. Was not like this for the most part when you had several great wrestlers carrying the team. Now you have a game plan of backing up, playing defense and the edge, stall riding -especially riding on the near ankle etc.....

Lets see how this works out for your club wrestlers trying to move forward into international wrestling? I will answer it for you. IT WILL NOT!!! Watch all your club wrestlers fail come worlds and olympics.
Baels "strategy" has certainly changed since his Nickal, Retherford, Nolf, Taylor, Ruth days.

Disagree in the sense that athletic prowess helped their offense on Saturday. In a combined 28 minutes of regulation wrestling, the four PSU champs scored zero takedowns. This is not like the PSU teams that dominated in the past.
Zero???? I swore I saw Nick Lee get one

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT