ADVERTISEMENT

Soldier Salute Session IV Thread

Since you brought it up...Rathjen, cmon man, you won the soldier salute, not a freaking national championship.

I get he was amped up but for a guy who had done absolutely nothing so far his antics were a bit overboard.
I feel like he was excited about putting himself in the best position to win a spot in the Iowa Hawkeye line up, at a real event with fans and actual competition. Without completely excusing the actions, that is a big deal.

Since you brought it up...Rathjen, cmon man, you won the soldier salute, not a freaking national championship.

I get he was amped up but for a guy who had done absolutely nothing so far his antics were a bit overboard.
I’m glad he won. I said earlier in the year that I thought he’d represent us well at 149. I don’t like his actions after he won. I think he was in the dog house for his past indiscretions and wasn’t ever fully removed. The way he acted, indicated that he had just broken the chains on that dog house and was clearly head alpha.

I walked out of the area frustrated and totally on AJs side. After settling down on the car ride home and watching the videos I'm more frustrated and still on AJs side though less so. I'm very frustrated with how the match was handled by everyone including the officials. I think AJ got totally screwed on the double stalling calls. I love Glacier and what he has done this year but I think most people understand that AJ is just a better athlete / physical specimen. I think AJ was just trying to wrestle a somewhat quiet match and get it over with. I'm assuming he was not feeling great after the cut and time of the mat and the emotions of the whole thing. He I think just wanted to ride Zach out enough to get riding time and cruise through the rest of the match. I think the ref was way to quick with the stalling calls. They were not way out of bounds but I feel like the ref should have read the room better after that it was a mess on all sides.

I’ m sort of sure you aren’t saying what he did should just he over looked since he wasn’t technically wrestling for us yet? Tom was desperate and as you said it ended up being a terrible look for our program, wearing a hawk uniform or not.
I’m not saying something shouldn’t be done, it was a horrible dick move. I just didn’t know what they could do since he’s not affiliated with iowa in any way yet. I also don’t think Aj gives a shit regardless. I wouldn’t expect a formal apology coming ever.

Reactions: nu2u and el dub
As someone with family members who are addicts and I myself who has had some legal problems in the past, you don’t just give up on people. Help them learn and grow. This is about as embarrassing as a debut as AJ could have had but you guys having zero leeway is insane to me. He can still have his redemption.
Zero leeway? Yeow….

Reactions: Iron Doc and bobb22
Whatever you say.
He was sad when he left. Cried when he spoke with his “teammates”. He wanted to be here but didn’t sign the letter on intent. Someone or something didn’t want him to. He had a year man, 8 months into it he left, and they blamed it on Ferrari. That’s convenient but doesn’t explain why he didn’t sign when he came to Iowa to begin with.

Reactions: LIV4GOD and xjohnx

Yea, way over the top. A lifelong goal for a kid growing up in Iowa to make the starting lineup for Iowa Hawkeye wrestling team. Have to sit behind an all American/ blood round guy your first two years. Coaches bring in transfers to take your spot, don’t give you a wrestle off and you have to wait six weeks into the season to get a fair chance. Oh and all the fans don’t think you’re good enough to beat the transfers. You go out and beat both the transfers in back to back matches and win Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament. You’re right though he shouldn’t show emotion and fire.

I walked out of the area frustrated and totally on AJs side. After settling down on the car ride home and watching the videos I'm more frustrated and still on AJs side though less so. I'm very frustrated with how the match was handled by everyone including the officials. I think AJ got totally screwed on the double stalling calls. I love Glacier and what he has done this year but I think most people understand that AJ is just a better athlete / physical specimen. I think AJ was just trying to wrestle a somewhat quiet match and get it over with. I'm assuming he was not feeling great after the cut and time of the mat and the emotions of the whole thing. He I think just wanted to ride Zach out enough to get riding time and cruise through the rest of the match. I think the ref was way to quick with the stalling calls. They were not way out of bounds but I feel like the ref should have read the room better after that it was a mess on all sides.
Mr Ferrari please don’t let Angelo leave.

I don't know how any sane adult walks away from the arena, and then watches the videos, and still thinks AJ isn't totally in the wrong. I'm just shocked.

Agreed. I was surprised at the hate the crowd had for the Ferraris. It surprised me because they cheered like mad when they won earlier in the tourney.

In their defense they already hated AJ. It’s weird how that’s seemingly been forgotten.

As someone with family members who are addicts and I myself who has had some legal problems in the past, you don’t just give up on people. Help them learn and grow. This is about as embarrassing as a debut as AJ could have had but you guys having zero leeway is insane to me. He can still have his redemption.

He can. Hopefully it’s somewhere else. Iowa doesn’t owe him anything.

I have an opinion that I don’t think will be met well at all, but screw it.

I think I’m a well reasoned poster and I know I understand the sport. I think we saw tonight why de facto wrestle offs are no longer being held in public.

When Caleb beat VV3 and yelled I beat him every single fing time and I want my spot, then Caleb flexes on Anthony, slaps his chest and yells it’s my ****ing spot. There’s a lot of emotion in this sport. There’s only one spot and often times margins are slim. You have the recipe for fireworks.

Flash forward to Aj vs Glazier. Glazier is a senior that has bided his time, improved year after year, and has wrestled damn well to this point in the season. His match tonight was pry looked at as a de facto wrestle off. I don’t condone AJ’s actions but I sure see how he got there. Imo, that wasn’t the best officiated match. I thought Aj pushed the action for the entire first period. When Zach did start pushing that’s all he did. I don’t know if I saw an offensive move his entire match. After the second stall aj wasn’t happy. I’m not sure I would have been either hearing all the shit that was being said to him Aj wins and snatched Zach’s goal from him, in Zach’s mind. Zach gets mad and acts up. Here comes the part you might not like to hear, I’ve seen worse crap happen in a locker room then what happened tonight. If that same match happens in the wrestling room, you get a push, a bit of talking and nothing else.

As I said I don’t condone what Aj did, but I kinda get it. Again, I’ve seen fights in almost every locker room I’ve been a part off. This is a combat sport and there are 30 people vying for 10 spots. Things like this happen.

Locker rooms and arenas during competition are much different venues. Also, Zach was in on AJ’s leg at one point. A lot has happened since then so I don’t remember exactly when.

So, if AJ commits, does he get the nod against Nebby or does Glazier go, since he technically beat AJ? Discuss.

He will have to sit out his first eligible match at whatever NCAA institution he chooses to wrestle at due to his antics tonight.

Now that a little time has passed…despite all of tonight’s drama, I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that the Ferraris are leaving. My guess is there’s a better than average chance they still join the program. Buckle up.

In their defense they already hated AJ. It’s weird how that’s seemingly been forgotten.

He can. Hopefully it’s somewhere else. Iowa doesn’t owe him anything.

Locker rooms and arenas during competition are much different venues. Also, Zach was in on AJ’s leg at one point. A lot has happened since then so I don’t remember exactly when.

He will have to sit out his first eligible match at whatever NCAA institution he chooses to wrestle at due to his antics tonight.

Now that a little time has passed…despite all of tonight’s drama, I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that the Ferraris are leaving. My guess is there’s a better than average chance they still join the program. Buckle up.
You’re right Zach was on his leg but Aj quickly hipped him off.

Arenas and locker rooms are different which is why I said maybe there’s a reason wrestle offs aren’t public anymore.

Last time out rathjen flexed after his win in carver, he is not on board with Ferrari coming in and taking 149.
Just watched this match up close on my big screen. Rathjen definitely pushed first, but then he went into dumbass mode after Ferrari pushed back. You are spot on; Rathjen clearly appears to not be OK with the Ferrari way. Yes, this was a 2-TD match, but the one in the second period could have gone either way (all out scramble) and the one at the end of the match was with 5 seconds left countering Ferrari's all out attempts at getting a TD. This could go either way IMO, but I love it for Rathjen that he got the victory. I'm not for either; I'm for the best 10 men on the mat come March. IMO, anyone making this all about Ferrari either didn't watch the match or they're making up shit they want the rest of us to buy into because of their animosity towards sports cars.

Just watched this match up close on my big screen. Rathjen definitely pushed first, but then he went into dumbass mode after Ferrari pushed back. You are spot on; Rathjen clearly appears to not be OK with the Ferrari way. Yes, this was a 2-TD match, but the one in the second period could have gone either way (all out scramble) and the one at the end of the match was with 5 seconds left countering Ferrari's all out attempts at getting a TD. This could go either way IMO, but I love it for Rathjen that he got the victory. I'm not for either; I'm for the best 10 men on the mat come March. IMO, anyone making this all about Ferrari either didn't watch the match or they're making up shit they want the rest of us to buy into because of their animosity towards sports cars.
100% agree. Caleb was on edge all day and let it out after both his wins.

Reactions: sdvike and hoythawk

I think I’m a well reasoned poster and I know I understand the sport. I think we saw tonight why de facto wrestle offs are no longer being held in public.

When Caleb beat VV3 and yelled I beat him every single fing time and I want my spot, then Caleb flexes on Anthony, slaps his chest and yells it’s my ****ing spot. There’s a lot of emotion in this sport. There’s only one spot and often times margins are slim. You have the recipe for fireworks.

Flash forward to Aj vs Glazier. Glazier is a senior that has bided his time, improved year after year, and has wrestled damn well to this point in the season. His match tonight was pry looked at as a de facto wrestle off. I don’t condone AJ’s actions but I sure see how he got there. Imo, that wasn’t the best officiated match. I thought Aj pushed the action for the entire first period. When Zach did start pushing that’s all he did. I don’t know if I saw an offensive move his entire match. After the second stall aj wasn’t happy. I’m not sure I would have been either hearing all the shit that was being said to him Aj wins and snatched Zach’s goal from him, in Zach’s mind. Zach gets mad and acts up. Here comes the part you might not like to hear, I’ve seen worse crap happen in a locker room then what happened tonight. If that same match happens in the wrestling room, you get a push, a bit of talking and nothing else.

As I said I don’t condone what Aj did, but I kinda get it. Again, I’ve seen fights in almost every locker room I’ve been a part off. This is a combat sport and there are 30 people vying for 10 spots. Things like this happen.
Agree with everything you said. Gotta be better though. If they all come out and say it was in the heat of the moment then good. I’m worried that this is a room issue.

AJ was riding to ride, holding down and holding on, which is now garden variety stalling. It was acceptable when he won his title, and it was a tactic he employed to win it. He’s going to have to adjust because that strategy is no longer going to be effective. (Assuming he finds a home.)

And the ref shouldn’t ignore the rules out of fear AJ is going to lose it. That’s ridiculous.

There is absolutely no circumstance that makes throwing a punch and flipping off your opponent and the crowd acceptable. And it’s hardly a proportional response to a small returned shove.

Wasn't it PK at Luther losing a close match to the Bull a couple years ago. He was pissed and let it be known. Wrestle offs in live tournament settings are probably setting these guys up for fireworks. They are competitors fighting for a spot they have been working towards for a decade or more. I like the fire, the chippyness. Shows how bad they want it. 149 was fine and 197 was too far. Punches and the finger multiple times is not ok. Maybe Tom is playing 3D chess and AJ dismissed himself on his own before ever joining the team?! Tom will earn his paycheck in the next 2 weeks. Bringing in Caliendo was absolutely the right move.

100% agree, If it’s rathjens spot here on out then I hope he continues that fire and makes it known it’s his spot. Hell I wish they all had that fire all the time.

Ferrari pushed Rathjen in the back after the match. According to Ironside, Rathjen just kept walking and didn't turn around.
To all, not at CPHawk: Please watch the video...Rathjen was the one that turned it into a shit show. I'm not mad either way, but he certainly did not "just kept walking and didn't turn around." He immediately turned around and gave the flex right at Ferrari and then started playing the crowd while the ref tried to get him to act like he'd been there before. And very sportsman-like handshake from Ferrari. Again, I think some on this forum just have it out for the Ferrari's and see what the want to see, which in this case was shit that did not happen. Evidence clearly points to Rathjen pushing first, which I don't care about, and Ferrari pushing second, which I don't care about. All after that was a shit show (all by Rathjen), which we don't need to do especially against our fellow Hawks.

Last edited:
are you an idiot, Ferrari pushed him in the back after the match, total ass move!
You either didn't watch the match or you're one of the anti-Ferrari guys. Rathjen clearly pushed first. That said, I don't care about either push, just want to give you the facts. And neither push was a total ass move...they were harmless pushes.

Agree with everything you said. Gotta be better though. If they all come out and say it was in the heat of the moment then good. I’m worried that this is a room issue.
Hello. There has been a room issue with the Ferraris everywhere they have gone. At least 2 highschools and a college.

I have zero doubt they will divide the Hawk room, which IMO is more important than the shit shows we will see publicly.

I want a strong Iowa program, the best thing that can come from this is AJ is gone before he really started. Hopefully, the youngest will weather the storm and stay committed, without family pressure poisoning the well. It's time for AJ to look at WWE or MMA, and the idea of a package deal is mute.

Reactions: Iron Doc and ping72

At the end of the day, and especially after 197…eh…not that big of a deal. It’s not great but nothing we haven’t seen before. But you also have to understand nothing happens in a vacuum and Anthony comes with baggage. His history can’t be ignored.

going to OT. "nothing happened in regulation" per ironside...
Ironside was right. If Franek dicks around like this come NCAAs he's going to end up having a slip or a miscue with almost no time left and find himself in the cons rounds after round two. He's got to get a lead before he goes on the defense like that IMO. If you can get a TD within 2-3 seconds in OT, you can get another one somewhere along the way against the 18th ranked guy, again in my humble opinion.

I’m okay with all of what you described. However, it was all the stuff afterward the little slap-fight that was WAY over the line.

Defcon GIF by South Park
IB to your defense ive guessed all my like which is worse 1 or 5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT