ADVERTISEMENT

Starting line up for Iowa against cal baptist

Dude. The first time he faced Hamiti it was a one point match. When he lost to Amine it was a one point match. Murin never had 3 returning NCAA champions in his bracket. This year there are 2. 165 is a buzz saw. Is Amine elite?
Is Amine elite? No. He is a very solid positional wrestler but elite is not the term I would use.
Do you think PK's ceiling is Bull level? I did at one point but do not anymore. I would love to be wrong.

Is Amine elite? No. He is a very solid positional wrestler but elite is not the term I would use.
Do you think PK's ceiling is Bull level? I did at one point but do not anymore. I would love to be wrong.
Amine has placed 7,4,4 ranked 3 pre-season. Beat Marinelli at NCAA ‘22. I wouldn’t call him elite (Carr and KOT are obviously the two best at the weight) and, Hamiti seems to be a bad matchup but, PK can beat anyone else at the weight. Certainly should be expected to get on the podium.

Ok best possible line up is still up in the air.
157: Franek done and over best option we have
165: Likely Caliendo I think PK takes a Olympic
174: Brands best option we have. If he can’t go I would Love to Gabe but huge question mark if we don’t get our guys back.
184: Assad is our best option but if he does not get cleared look for Swaff to be the guy.
197: will be Glazier outside chance it’s Franklin
Hwt: Cass is the guy but if he does not get cleared look for AJ after 1st of the year to be the guy here. No way in Hell can AJ make 197. Last I heard he was above 230lbs.

Ok best possible line up is still up in the air.
157: Franek done and over best option we have
165: Likely Caliendo I think PK takes a Olympic
174: Brands best option we have. If he can’t go I would Love to Gabe but huge question mark if we don’t get our guys back.
184: Assad is our best option but if he does not get cleared look for Swaff to be the guy.
197: will be Glazier outside chance it’s Franklin
Hwt: Cass is the guy but if he does not get cleared look for AJ after 1st of the year to be the guy here. No way in Hell can AJ make 197. Last I heard he was above 230lbs.

He’s down quite a bit from what I heard…about 15 pounds to 197. My source is Tru Stme.

I could see things shaking out like this by spring, understanding that nothing is set in stone:

25: Ayala
33: Teske
41: Woods
49: Ferrari/Voinovich
57: Franek
65: Caliendo
74: Kennedy
84: Brands
97: Ferrari
285: Cassioppi
I miss the good ol' days when Gable would bring them in and develop them. Six of these guys are transfers.

We watched him plenty, myself in person several times over the last 3 years. He is not athletically gifted enough to be a top 4 at this weight at this level IMO. He strikes me as a Murin type of ceiling, will almost always beat guys outside of the top 10 but not quite a good enough athlete to finish on the elite 165s with a reach and speed advantage. Vhsalum made a good point about Tom recruiting over him, its the reality of the situation. Next year he could be a deadly 157 IMO when Franek is done. Until then he is the odd guy out.
I think you're wrong, but I like the good discussions. I think he takes charge of 165 for the Hawks.

Reactions: sdvike
I could see things shaking out like this by spring, understanding that nothing is set in stone:

25: Ayala
33: Teske
41: Woods
49: Ferrari/Voinovich
57: Franek
65: Caliendo
74: Kennedy
84: Brands
97: Ferrari
285: Cassioppi
I like this lineup as long as 74 and 84 aren't undersized. I would have to see something impressive during the regular season to believe each of those weights could do better than 2-2 or 3-2 at NCAAs. Just don't like the thought of undersized guys going on the mat in March. I felt horrible watching Brands against much bigger guys at 84 a couple years back, but sure liked the way he looked last year at 74 much better.

Why - How about you give me your pearls of wisdom why someone who was a completely dominating athlete at the high school level has not yet reached the podium after three years in the Iowa wrestling room?

I'd love to see him take the next step but there are reasons why some do and some don't.

The footprint of top division one teams has changed drastically. What remains the same is iron sharpens iron.
Bringing in the best of the best weather it’s a high school recruit or any level of eligibility is, and what needs to be done.

Constant upgrades of the program is the only thing that’s going to keep us in the top three teams year in and year out . TNT have proved they can accomplish this, but only the highest level of recruitment training facilities coaching, will get us to number one.

Im of two minds about it. It’s fun to watch guys come in to the program as freshman and develop into champs, but it’s exciting when an established stud from another program wants to come over.
So, you’ve been having a lot of fun lately, eh?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT