ADVERTISEMENT

Stop the DeVries talk

It would likely be a lateral move, at best? B1G money could/should change that, but the university hasn’t had a history of throwing money at the basketball program.
It would be Fran 2.0. Aka the Siena experiment.

The Mississippi State coach is from Iowa. They played poorly yesterday but he likes to play defense. MSU was hot, like they always are in the tourney

Reactions: LukaDuka
His end game coaching is a disaster. It's pretty bad to watch only a few games and be able to identify a major flaw in his coaching.

Reactions: amahawk
Did I miss something? What was the deal with taking his kid out on defensive possessions. Just what we need is another coach who can’t get his own kid to play defense.

Reactions: IAmTheLaw151
I’ve always been anti-DeVries.

He’s right at his perfect level.

His boy is a good player. Unless it’s a big game.

Biggest paper tiger in CBB.

Well, maybe Stevens from Colorado State. But point made.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
You’ll likely get your wish. Fran isn’t going anywhere and my guess is DeVries is gone after this year.
And Devries will have likely to go on to have some decent rosters yet flame out as soon as they make it to the tournament. I just don’t see the appeal based on what he has done when he is against anyone not in the MVC.

Dunno but I think a major big ten school can poach better.
Exactly. You don’t know. You’re talking out of your ass. You want Juwan Howard? TJ? DeVries has won more games the last 4 years than any program not named Houston. And it’s a helluva lot harder to win at Drake with very little NIL, fan support and small private school.

Exactly. You don’t know. You’re talking out of your ass. You want Juwan Howard? TJ? DeVries has won more games the last 4 years than any program not named Houston. And it’s a helluva lot harder to win at Drake with very little NIL, fan support and small private school.
Please tell me you want DeVries as Iowa’s next coach!

I think you do but I don’t want to make fun of you until I know for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69 and littlez

I actually want him to stay at Drake. You’re another guy who’s all talk with no idea who you think Iowa can actually get. And not only get but finish top 3-4 like you think we somehow deserve. You want to judge DeVries on 1 game vs a body of work of 34 games this year. Wazzu beat Arizona twice this year. Dogfight the whole game until Brodie fouled out. They made shots and Drake didn’t at the end.

• Haha
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

You guys know that most top flight coaches didn’t start out at a Power 5 school? Tell me, where did Lisa Bluder get her start? Oh, St Ambrose and Drake. Bill Self started at Tulsa. Jay Wright was an assistant at numerous small schools for 10 years before coaching at Hofstra for 7 years.

You guys know that most top flight coaches didn’t start out at a Power 5 school? Tell me, where did Lisa Bluder get her start? Oh, St Ambrose and Drake. Bill Self started at Tulsa. Jay Wright was an assistant at numerous small schools for 10 years before coaching at Hofstra for 7 years.
I think when Iowa fans hear young, promising coach from the Missouri Valley, they think hair gel and pompous, entitled ass.

Speaking of Steve Alford, how did Nevada do yesterday?

So we complain when Fran leaves Patrick in bc he can't play defense and complain when DeVries takes his kid out because he can't play defense??
Yep, damned if you do damned if you don't.

I'm not convinced Devries is an upgrade to Fran either, but there are few guarantees in life. We've seen his teams cough up late leads 2 years in a row in NCAA 1st round games, but then again, Drake has to be a notoriously difficult place to recruit to and win. Guy has to have something going for him to have even gotten them there 2 years in a row. It's a program that, historically, has played 3rd fiddle at best to Iowa and ISU in the state. If Fran moves on, I'm sure there are worse choices out there.

I don't keep up with who all the hot coaching prospects are, but as has been pointed out.. Who else would be available that people would prefer?

Are you implying Iowa can't get a good coach?

I'm not trying to be an as**.....just curious as to your thinking.
I’m not implying that at all. What I’m implying is that our last 3 coaches have come from the mid major ranks. Alford, Lick and Fran. Most power 6 teams that fire their coaches end up with a rising guy from the mid major ranks. Underwood at Illinois won big at Stephen F Austin before a short stint at Ok State. I’m also saying we could do worse than a coach who’s won 106 games over the last 4 years if we were to hire DeVries.

Reactions: LukaDuka and 83Hawk
I’m not implying that at all. What I’m implying is that our last 3 coaches have come from the mid major ranks. Alford, Lick and Fran. Most power 6 teams that fire their coaches end up with a rising guy from the mid major ranks. Underwood at Illinois won big at Stephen F Austin before a short stint at Ok State. I’m also saying we could do worse than a coach who’s won 106 games over the last 4 years if we were to hire DeVries.
Thanks for clarifying. Usually when I see the "who is Iowa going to get" comment it's from posters who think Iowa can't get anyone better than Fran.

Reactions: littlez
Are you implying Iowa can't get a good coach?

I'm not trying to be an as**.....just curious as to your thinking.
Seems to me you ARE trying to be a big:

Rick Ross Booty GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

Anyone remember Keno Davis? He was awesome at Drek for like a year. What happened to that guy?

We have four new teams joining the Big Ten next year ...

... and you guys want to attack that new schedule with a guy who has not even seen the other fourteen teams in our regular rotation?

As I remember when we hired Fran, we wanted a guy who focused on offense.

The Big Ten has 5-6 of the best coaches in the country. This includes Fran

Last edited:

Yep, damned if you do damned if you don't.

I'm not convinced Devries is an upgrade to Fran either, but there are few guarantees in life. We've seen his teams cough up late leads 2 years in a row in NCAA 1st round games, but then again, Drake has to be a notoriously difficult place to recruit to and win. Guy has to have something going for him to have even gotten them there 2 years in a row. It's a program that, historically, has played 3rd fiddle at best to Iowa and ISU in the state. If Fran moves on, I'm sure there are worse choices out there.

I don't keep up with who all the hot coaching prospects are, but as has been pointed out.. Who else would be available that people would prefer?

Yea, you can’t make this shit up. This guy isn’t even our coach and we’re already complaining about him…

LOL

as I’ve said, we won’t like the next guy any better

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT