ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Indiana Game Thread*****

2cBmeSLCyLqkn6YIERKdRUToqsa.jpg

Imagine being Indiana fans tonight.

Coming off the season sweep of Purdue after a big win in WL this weekend, and get your shit pushed in by a team that frankly looked like dog crap in its last two road games.

will-ferrell-evil-boss.gif
Oh theres NO red ass out there right now quite like the ones that the Hoosiers have for anything to do with Iowa basketball, men or women... :D

RECAP:

On paper, Iowa's game on Tuesday night looked like one of the toughest tests of the season for the Hawkeyes: a road game against an Indiana team that was 14-1 at home, ranked 15th in the nation, and coming off one of the most impressive road wins of the season over Big Ten-leading Purdue.

Suffice to say, Iowa aced that test.

The Hawkeyes maintained the same red-hot offense that fueled their improbable comeback win over Michigan State on Saturday, built a big early lead on the Hoosiers and never looked back, coasting to a 90-68 victory. Iowa improves to 19-11 overall and into fifth place in the Big Ten at 11-8.

RECAP​

How dominant was this victory for Iowa?

* The Hawkeyes led for 39:21 and never trailed in the game.

* The Iowa lead dipped under 10 points once in the final 28 minutes -- for all of 25 seconds (then Kris Murray hit a 3-pointer to put Iowa up 12).

* Iowa scored 47 points in the first half (most by any team in the Big Ten this season).

* Iowa scored 90 points on the road; only three other IU opponents had cracked 70 points at Assembly Hall this season.

* Indiana was 14-1 at Assembly Hall this season prior to this game and the one loss came by just one point; Iowa won by 22.

The tone of the game was set from the very beginning: Indiana missed its first four shots, while Iowa made its first three to jump out to an 8-0 lead. Even better than the lead was the fact that two of Iowa's first three made buckets were three-pointers (both by Kris Murray). Iowa's three-point shooting woes on the road have been discussed ad nauseum for the past month, but for good reason: the Hawkeyes were apocalyptically terrible from 3 in their first four February road games (16/83, or 19.2%). On Tuesday: 13/23 (56.5%) from 3-point range.

Indiana called timeout after that 8-0 Iowa lead, but it had little impact. Iowa's lead ballooned to 16-7 by the first media timeout. The Hoosiers made a few mini-runs and got as close as 21-18 -- which prompted a 13-3 Iowa run over the next 4:30 of game time.

After cutting the Iowa lead to 11 at half (47-36), the Hoosiers' best chance to get back in the game was a fast start out of halftime. Indiana started the second half with a full-court press look that flustered Iowa into a few early turnovers and led to an Indiana basket that dropped Iowa's lead back to single digits since the 9:06 mark in the first half, sending Assembly Hall back to full volume.

Instead of caving to the sudden road pressure, Iowa responded with a 12-2 run that seemed to break Indiana's spirit in the game. While there were still almost 16 minutes to play, the Hoosiers' body language wore the 61-40 deficit like a lead coat, and the game was effectively over. Indeed, Indiana never got closer than 19 points in the final 17 minutes of the game, and Iowa rolled to one of its easiest wins of the season.

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/iowa-90-no-15-indiana-68-flame-on

I'm one of the few who don't approve of Sandfort blowing kisses. We wouldn't like it if an opposing player did it in Carver.

I prefer to see good sportsmanship. But that makes me a dinosaur, I guess.
Not sure what he was hearing from them during the game. Thought I heard one of the announcers mention that there was dialogue from the fans and it may have been a response to that. Pretty harmless really but I’m sure he was advised once he got to the bench not to do it again. Or not.

Reactions: Ree4
I'm one of the few who don't approve of Sandfort blowing kisses. We wouldn't like it if an opposing player did it in Carver.

Oh Jeez. Did Peyton hurt the feelings of Indiana fans? What a bad boy and poor sport. So sick of the PC crowd.

Reactions: Ree4

I do not have a problem of him doing that and I would never do it. Those types of gestures usually come back to haunt you at some point.

Reactions: 83Hawk
I'm generally pro-taunting—with the understanding that if you do it in an opposing player's face, you're getting what's coming back. Doing it to the crowd is fine. Those people say vile things on a routine basis.

Georges Niang blew some kisses at the student section at Carver at the end of their win in 2014-15. Got the fans plenty fired up. I thought it was kinda funny. Nobody's heads fell off.

ISU also hasn't won at Carver since then. So in a way it was good for ISU that one of their guys got some taunting in while they could, because there's plenty of guys whose Cyclone careers have come and gone without another opportunity.

Might be the case for Iowa too. Who knows when the next time comes that Iowa absolutely dump-trucks IU at Assembly Hall like that?

I'm generally pro-taunting—with the understanding that if you do it in an opposing player's face, you're getting what's coming back. Doing it to the crowd is fine. Those people say vile things on a routine basis.

Georges Niang blew some kisses at the student section at Carver at the end of their win in 2014-15. Got the fans plenty fired up. I thought it was kinda funny. Nobody's heads fell off.

ISU also hasn't won at Carver since then. So in a way it was good for ISU that one of their guys got some taunting in while they could, because there's plenty of guys whose Cyclone careers have come and gone without another opportunity.

Might be the case for Iowa too. Who knows when the next time comes that Iowa absolutely dump-trucks IU at Assembly Hall like that?
Agreed. If a kid taunts an opposing player, the opposing bench/staff, or an official, T him up. If it's directed toward the crowd, assuming it isn't something vile, who the hell cares?

Oh Jeez. Did Peyton hurt the feelings of Indiana fans? What a bad boy and poor sport. So sick of the PC crowd.
It has nothing to do with being PC, and everything to do with sportsmanship. But people now no longer care about that. Why be a gracious winner when you can taunt and humiliate others?

I was always taught to be respectful of others.....in victory and defeat. Like I said.....I'm a dinosaur.

We got a coach that invented the Stare and a sharpshooter that blows kisses to the Indy crowd. CMAC is a hot head. Got some characters.
I don't know what a fan did or said to Perkins but he really layed into them. Wish i knew what happened. And you could see the joy in Sandfort when he was blowing that kiss. Hysterical.

I don't know what a fan did or said to Perkins but he really layed into them. Wish i knew what happened. And you could see the joy in Sandfort when he was blowing that kiss. Hysterical.

Tony had a lot of friends and family at the game...

Reactions: Bishop1971
Tony had a lot of friends and family at the game...
Yeah so when he went a little nasty at someone in the crowd it must've been well deserved. He might talk a little but I've never seen him get so pissed at a fan during a game. Or anytime for that matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT