ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

According to some of the local crowd, there hasn’t been a 157 available to recruit or transfer in to strengthen our line up for over four years.
I'm talking about next year when we have a need at 157.

We didn't have a need at 57 the last 4-5 years despite what you'd like to say. Again, I'd like to see the list of guys that we legitimately could have brought in as a recruit or transfer that would have been better than Young.

Depending on transfers is a dangerous game. I feel like AA-level guys hitting the portal is more of an outlier than a regular occurrence. And if guys wanted to jump ship *just* to hop on the bandwagon for a contender, someone would have done it with Penn State at 165 this year imo.
They tried lol. Couldn't make Wick's credits transfer right. He was leaving Wisconsin anyway though.

I don’t know how much longer the fans will put up with no solutions at 184 in year 15 for Brands. That’s ridiculous he can’t get points from that weight.

(substitute ISU and 165 for the above and it’s my weak attempt to troll Mitch)
How much longer is your fan base going to put up with not even being top 5 🖕

Shultz, Paris and Kerk and maybe one more will be ahead of Cass. Before the tournament I didn't think Schultz deserved the 2 seed but after watching him, he's pretty good and getting better.

Shultz, Paris and Kerk and maybe one more will be ahead of Cass. Before the tournament I didn't think Schultz deserved the 2 seed but after watching him, he's pretty good and getting better.
Hendrickson was clearly over seeded losing to two middle pack big 10 guys. Cass needs to get healthy and put about 15 to 20 pounds back on. Would like him to be at least 255. Under 240 is too small. Parris seems to be regressing, Schultz earned his keep an NCAAs but needs to wrestle someone in the regular season next year.

Depending on transfers is a dangerous game. I feel like AA-level guys hitting the portal is more of an outlier than a regular occurrence. And if guys wanted to jump ship *just* to hop on the bandwagon for a contender, someone would have done it with Penn State at 165 this year imo.

No one is “depending” on it but in a quick scan of this years placewinners I found at least 10 transfers. And 3 finalists. And those are only the ones I know of.

I would Surprise'd if anyone wanted to wrestle him next season. I'm convinced he was the second best hvy there.

Bottom line is Carl is top of the line at getting high end talent. Then he just polishes them up. He has had multiple Spencer Lee calibur recruits. If we judged brands on how he coaches guys like that he would look awesome too. Guys that talented make coaches look good. The other thing is Carl doesn't really recruit short for the weight guys for the most part he doesn't go after grinders. He goes after guys who have length, strength and scoring abilities, just like he was. Berge and Bartlett are the two closest things to a grinder he has gotten lately and they have struggled. As long as they are bringing in top grade diamonds and we are bringing in 2ns or 3rd tier diamonds and cubit zirconias we will be battling for 2nd. We are bringing in 2 recruits this year ranked outside the top 20 and 8 guys who will never do a thing outside the practice room or low level open tournaments.

Bottom line is Carl is top of the line at getting high end talent. Then he just polishes them up. He has had multiple Spencer Lee calibur recruits. If we judged brands on how he coaches guys like that he would look awesome too. Guys that talented make coaches look good. The other thing is Carl doesn't really recruit short for the weight guys for the most part he doesn't go after grinders. He goes after guys who have length, strength and scoring abilities, just like he was. Berge and Bartlett are the two closest things to a grinder he has gotten lately and they have struggled. As long as they are bringing in top grade diamonds and we are bringing in 2ns or 3rd tier diamonds and cubit zirconias we will be battling for 2nd. We are bringing in 2 recruits this year ranked outside the top 20 and 8 guys who will never do a thing outside the practice room or low level open tournaments.
To be fair I couldnt find any world beating recruits for PSU that graduate this year. Out of curiousity I looked at tracks recruiting rankings. Iowa had Kolby Franklin in the top 25 and PSU had Levi Haines. There was quite a variety of commitments in the top 25, but Ohio State stood out.

In 2023 Iowa has Jesuroga, Kueter, and Arnold. All 3 top 10 pound for pound depending on which rankings you look at.

To be fair I couldnt find any world beating recruits for PSU that graduate this year. Out of curiousity I looked at tracks recruiting rankings. Iowa had Kolby Franklin in the top 25 and PSU had Levi Haines. There was quite a variety of commitments in the top 25, but Ohio State stood out.

In 2023 Iowa has Jesuroga, Kueter, and Arnold. All 3 top 10 pound for pound depending on which rankings you look at.
Haines might score more career NCAA points than Franklin and Riggins combined.

Thank you for the logic. Most of these Brands loyalist want to place blame on literally everything outside of the obvious. 1) Cael recruits better 2) Teaches technique and discipline. 2 things Iowa has struggled with for the past 10 years.

referring to track's recruiting analysis is a problem

jr jock thoung turn your panties around. Dean won a national title like or not your words aren't going to change that. The embarrassing crying over what psu did, well it's just is embarrassing. Dean won along with 4 of his teammates as did there team. They just did and they're better right now.

jr jock thoung turn your panties around. Dean won a national title like or not your words aren't going to change that. The embarrassing crying over what psu did, well it's just is embarrassing. Dean won along with 4 of his teammates as did there team. They just did and they're better right now.
No sh**

Cael has had 0 Spencer Lee level recruits. But yes, PSU has out recruited Iowa and it isn't even close.
Spencer wasn't even ranked #1 in his class. How he has done in college is not the point. The point is Carl has had a number of that level recruit coming out of highschool. Guys like Taylor, Hall, Brooks, Kerk etc. Elite of the elite blue chips.

Cael is smack dap in the middle of the best high school wrestling in the country. He was not so hot with his recruiting at ISU. How many titles did he win at ISU? How many times did he beat Iowa when he was at ISU?
Iowa high school wrestling has regressed in the past 40 years. Iowa has to rely on getting Illinois, Ohio and Penn. kids now. Cael is beating them in that game.

Haines might score more career NCAA points than Franklin and Riggins combined.
If the you don't think Cruo can use the success of Lee in college to support his argument than don't use your thoughts on your predicted future for Haines.

Spencer wasn't even ranked #1 in his class. How he has done in college is not the point. The point is Carl has had a number of that level recruit coming out of highschool. Guys like Taylor, Hall, Brooks, Kerk etc. Elite of the elite blue chips.
Who was higher?

Who was higher?
Depends on the ranking service. Lee was still #1 in some, but he was #2 on Flo behind Fix. Then after Lee were Yianni and Arujau. That's not the point though. Based on reality and not the criteria-based ranking, Spencer was in a class of his own. The only other school who has gotten a Spencer level recruit in the last 10 years is Minnesota.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT