ADVERTISEMENT

No AJ

Man there are alot of good prospects out there especially after this next Oly cycle. I’m not throwing this out there to create controversy I’m really not. But someone like Gilman who was loved by the Hawk fans and he loved Iowa at one point but then you add in the experience he’s got in the PSU room and that’s awfully valuable. He’s a medalist Has somewhat of a popular reputation. Again, I would just throw him in the mix. I’m not Sandy’s at the top of the list, but the fact that he’s got that Iowa mentality blended with now. The PSU philosophy would be a pretty strong combination. And maybe not as the head coach, but get him back in some capacity whether it’s HWC or as a head assistant.
Gilman: Great wrestler. Big mouth.

Reactions: el dub
Gilman: Great wrestler. Big mouth.
Agree but I do think he’s growing up quite a bit. Saw a good interview with Metcalf the other day asking him about the incident at Joe’s Nighthawk. Seems like they both have really grown up a lot. It’s unfortunate. He’s been outspoken against Iowa but I think that was all Induced to anger from the early Spencer days and Brands fueling the fire. It’s gonna be hard to find the perfect fit without having one controversial thing for anybody. I just like the fact that he’s been in both rooms where he gets the Iowa away, and I do believe he believes in it, but overlap it with the strategies and nuances of the PSU room it’s awfully powerful. Can you imagine combining the Hawkway and the PSU way together and he’s about the only person that’s been in both rooms for a significant amount of time

Agree but I do think he’s growing up quite a bit. Saw a good interview with Metcalf the other day asking him about the incident at Joe’s Nighthawk. Seems like they both have really grown up a lot. It’s unfortunate. He’s been outspoken against Iowa but I think that was all Induced to anger from the early Spencer days and Brands fueling the fire. It’s gonna be hard to find the perfect fit without having one controversial thing for anybody. I just like the fact that he’s been in both rooms where he gets the Iowa away, and I do believe he believes in it, but overlap it with the strategies and nuances of the PSU room it’s awfully powerful. Can you imagine combining the Hawkway and the PSU way together and he’s about the only person that’s been in both rooms for a significant amount of time
There are consequences for behaving like an a-hole. You lose fan support. Sometimes forever.

Last edited:
I have no idea what we are talking about at this point. I just expressed why any coach at Iowa would have the tools to be successful that every program but 1 doesn't have. They would be set up for success. Dropping to OK level, like someone mentioned, is beyond unrealistic.

Jiminy crickets you have low expectations. Iowa is an absolute blue blood with amazing facilities, a monster budget, incredible tradition, an established senior club, and deep NIL pockets. There's only one other program in the country that's set up with more resources to win.

The above post reminds me of "No way would Cael Sanderson leave ISU!" Obviously that doesn't mean every big name coach would be interested in leaving their school--especially as late in their careers as some of the guys you mention are--but you can bet there's a few that would listen. Think Grey isn't taking that call? Or Pat Pop? Or Coleman? Think again.

And nevermind you left out the part where I mentioned top assistants. Sorry, but Doug has had his chance to make a splash to set himself up for the Iowa job and just isn't doing it. Fantastic guy who's at around the level he should be.
Low expectations? I'm just trying to understand who would be considered a higher qualified coach if we were to make a switch. Do you think those other coaches we mentioned would have had more success than Schwab at UNI? There is a ceiling at UNI when competing with 2 other in state power houses not to mention actual D1 schools. Schwab has the pedigree/accomplishments/(Olympian/World Team) on the mat that the others do not have as well which is definitely a factor (outside of Coleman but he is the heir apparent to OK St). I'm actually not advocating for Schwab but I wouldn't not consider him either.

Personally, I'd love one of these young studs who are about to retire competitively to join the room and see what happens from there.

Man there are alot of good prospects out there especially after this next Oly cycle. I’m not throwing this out there to create controversy I’m really not. But someone like Gilman who was loved by the Hawk fans and he loved Iowa at one point but then you add in the experience he’s got in the PSU room and that’s awfully valuable. He’s a medalist Has somewhat of a popular reputation. Again, I would just throw him in the mix. I’m not Sandy’s at the top of the list, but the fact that he’s got that Iowa mentality blended with now. The PSU philosophy would be a pretty strong combination. And maybe not as the head coach, but get him back in some capacity whether it’s HWC or as a head assistant.

😂

Reactions: Exo
Something needs to change. The lack of recruiting results to me, plus the lack of Champions over the last 5 to 10 years means is enough to warrant a change. I'm not saying fire Brands, but for the first time I have thought it, but new coaches, new recruiting strategy, new training techniques, should all be examined. I don't see enough willingness to change but more of double down to what we do, and that may not be working anymore. I have been going to Iowa wrestling for over 30 years and don't know if I have ever been less excited for a season this year or next. I typically go to Nationals as well but have no desire to go see a PSU 3 day commercial.
Pretty sure the recruiting and lack of finalists and champions go hand in hand

Sorry but no.

Can we please get someone on staff that hasn't wrestled for a Brands?

How can we learn new things with the "SAME" coaches/athletes?

Get new blood/ideas into this program.

Change is needed unless you always want to come in 2nd or lower.
For me the only option for head coach is someone who wrestled for the Hawkeyes.
It wouldn't be a bad thing if they had left and picked up some stuff from coaching elsewhere, but whoever it is needs to be a Hawkeye.

For me the only option for head coach is someone who wrestled for the Hawkeyes.
It wouldn't be a bad thing if they had left and picked up some stuff from coaching elsewhere, but whoever it is needs to be a Hawkeye.
Was Gable a Hawkeye? Was Sanderson a Nittany Lion? I really don't think it matters as long as they are able to embrace the new ways of recruiting and retainment.

Was Gable a Hawkeye? Was Sanderson a Nittany Lion? I really don't think it matters as long as they are able to embrace the new ways of recruiting and retainment.
Do tell us of the "new ways of recruiting and retainment."
I know the first rule: get a donor to write a 5M check to the HWC.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
Low expectations? I'm just trying to understand who would be considered a higher qualified coach if we were to make a switch. Do you think those other coaches we mentioned would have had more success than Schwab at UNI? There is a ceiling at UNI when competing with 2 other in state power houses not to mention actual D1 schools. Schwab has the pedigree/accomplishments/(Olympian/World Team) on the mat that the others do not have as well which is definitely a factor (outside of Coleman but he is the heir apparent to OK St). I'm actually not advocating for Schwab but I wouldn't not consider him either.

Personally, I'd love one of these young studs who are about to retire competitively to join the room and see what happens from there.

Doug has been HC at UNI through the worst run in ISU history and he can’t get into the top 10. Not a single time. Penrith recruited and developed as many AAs as Doug but did it in fewer seasons. His lineup is in constant flux due to injuries and burnout (sound familiar?). I’m a UNI fan and also a Doug fan. He just hasn’t done enough to have earned the job.

Reactions: vhsalum
What about Mark Hall? Great guy, great wrestling resume. Popular with the up and coming kids. Almost 3 years as UPENN assistant coach. Creative wrestling mind. Wants to be a coach as a career. A bit thin on coaching resume, but I think he should be an option.

A surprised troll oozes back. Finally all in and happily anticipating three AJ/AB matches, I’m stunned but giving props to your AD (if thread title holds). Behavioral issues will always haunt this child of defective parents who pimp sons for NIL. But the plusses outweigh lost March points, starting with an instant boost for Hawk recruitment, ZG’s “you’ll see” motivation, and no loss of Angelo.
Oh, please. As if any—I mean ANY—other AD would risk cushy paychecks to be force-fed Daddy Barbells 3-ring-or-none circus, especially after SS. Nah, AJ’s latest antics cemented li’l bro as a Hawk by vaporizing papa’s chance to seek better perks, er, I mean, “educational opportunities” elsewhere. That’s great for us true fans of the sport (AF Sr isn’t that). Angelo alone will contribute mightily to NCAA’s best wrestling rivalry as a 4-year Iowa starter (sorry pops, but Anth is just a room guy and AJ is so fond of himself, I fear he may transition into “Angela” by next season). One unsolicited tip for SrFastTwitch. Take an interest in AJ’s mental well-being. He’s your son, not a carnival act meal ticket.
Rescheduled repairs now at hand. It’s hell getting old.

What about Mark Hall? Great guy, great wrestling resume. Popular with the up and coming kids. Almost 3 years as UPENN assistant coach. Creative wrestling mind. Wants to be a coach as a career. A bit thin on coaching resume, but I think he should be an option.
Mark Hall is 83% worse than what we currently have

Tom and Terry are popular with the kids, but have to believe this Ferrari thing has probably rubbed some of the kids the wrong way. The holes in this years team are just intensified by the gambling suspensions.

As far as the coaching of the kids, I feel like one of Tom’s worst mistakes was letting Metcalf leave town. Needed to find a spot for him. He has made his mark at Iowa State. Many of those kids show his toughness and intensity and are fundamental. Kids are developing and they are recruiting well since he got there with Dresser. Just really like that young man.
Don’t know what Metcalf has done at ISU but I’m very happy he’s not with us. I was told by someone in the Hawkeye room at the time that his teammates were not Metcalf fans either.

I agree. We need less of that trait, not more, imo.
I agree eldub that’s why I’m a little critical on our current leadership. I’ve watched this since they started like all of us. They both make Gilman look like a church choir boy.

• Haha
Sorry but no.

Can we please get someone on staff that hasn't wrestled for a Brands?

How can we learn new things with the "SAME" coaches/athletes?

Get new blood/ideas into this program.

Change is needed unless you always want to come in 2nd or lower.
Except for the 4x we have finished 1st under Brands and the 5th time we clearly had the best team and Covid ruined the season?

I get it..we want to be 1st or in the hunt every year, we all want a coach that is the next Gable or yes even Sanderson. Maybe Brands doesn't cut it for a portion of our fanbase-- but when someone uses terms like "always" it's hard to take them serious.

Except for the 4x we have finished 1st under Brands and the 5th time we clearly had the best team and Covid ruined the season?

I get it..we want to be 1st or in the hunt every year, we all want a coach that is the next Gable or yes even Sanderson. Maybe Brands doesn't cut it for a portion of our fanbase-- but when someone uses terms like "always" it's hard to take them serious.
The early years won were pre Sanderson dynasty.

Had a little run with the Spencer Lee effect, but that’s now gone.

Keep being content Randy.

I hope Vodka has much better stuff than this.

@Is_there_vodka_in_heaven
lol, he might. I didn’t find anything that was outright bashing Iowa. Just found that odd to add in a tweet about Iowa/Iowa state dual.

I think if you go back farther you could find some, but that’s relying on my memory which is not necessarily reliable. He could have scrubbed it too.

I favor the Dake Boat unless there are some negatives that I am not aware of.

Solar callous is what comes to mind.

Hes a little meat headed for sure but apparently a good dude. (Friends husband knew him in college. Meat headed is my comment not that guys)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT