ADVERTISEMENT

****Official Iowa vs Minnesota game thread****

If we can’t beat Wis at home or Minn on the road we don’t deserve to go to NCAA tourney. I hardly get this phased off after a game. Hope Cook takes a good look st himself in the mirror to discover that he ain’t no LeBron!!!

Well I know every play counts but way to throw the momentum away by being your usual showboat self Tyler Cook amd turning the ball over.

Reactions: kmorgan12
Cook easy to point out, and I agree he was garbage.

But JBo and Joe combing for 5 points didn’t help either. Neither did free throw shooting

Completely agree. Wish we had a couple more on ball defenders. Fran needs to pick another one up...assuming Joe T is all that and a bag of chips.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Yes I would want Cook back for his senior year. We don’t usually get that type of athletic talent at Iowa.

Do you think maybe we should have focused on stopping Murphy and Cofey? Minnesota wanted it more. But really-they weren’t even that great. We just didn’t seem to care.

Say what? Wisconsin has a NET Ranking in the top 15. Minnesota is in the 50s, and they have some good wins. They both will most likely be in the tournament...and we don't deserve it since we lost on the road? Ok...

If we can’t beat Wis at home or Minn on the road we don’t deserve to go to NCAA tourney. I hardly get this phased off after a game. Hope Cook takes a good look st himself in the mirror to discover that he ain’t no LeBron!!!

The Barn brought it, great atmosphere. Gophers played out of their ass but, damn, find a way to break their rhythm. It’s simply too easy to make JBo a non-factor, just ride him everywhere and he hasn’t the body or athleticism or game to counter much. He doesn’t even ATTEMPT a three today, at least I don’t remember any.

And yet with three to go Hawks have a chance to steal one on the road against a team feeling great about themselves. Cook got a wake up call: Coffee and Murphy showed him something. Joe was bound to have a freshman game. A legit PG would make life easier for all.

So similar to jbo but Connor plays better D? What’s your point?
Slow as molasses in January with a vertical leap of 9 inches is a bad combo for any BIG 10 guard. Both offensively and defensively. And oh..............he doesn't have a shot. His little dribble between the legs is ok for an 8 year old but man.....its getting old.

Yes I would want Cook back for his senior year. We don’t usually get that type of athletic talent at Iowa.

For certain we want him back. He will make another leap in his performance. Cook is definitely a better player than he was last year. IMHO... And his assist-to-turnover ratio is far better this year. He was 1:3 last year and is 1:1 this year. Give him another season to improve his shot (and I am calling it that he does significantly), cut down on turnovers and he will make us a much better team.

Fran gets this team into the tournament, he’s secure for a couple more years.

Fran is secure for a couple of years either way...

I think he needs to, and believe he will, get us to the tournament, for 2020 and beyond recruiting.

We WILL be a darn good team next year. We are this year... Throw in a couple of real good recruits, and I see us trending up or holding steady as a top third tier B1G team for the next 4 years.

I feel sorry for Cook. You know the guy is trying his arse off. Maybe not as much as Garza(but who does!). And He just choked down the stretch.
He has been decent from the FT line. Completely missing the rim had to hurt him as much as it did the team....and that turnover right afterwards...Ugh.

I feel sorry for Cook. You know the guy is trying his arse off. Maybe not as much as Garza(but who does!). And He just choked down the stretch.
He has been decent from the FT line. Completely missing the rim had to hurt him as much as it did the team....and that turnover right afterwards...Ugh.
He’s a good player but to be a great player you have to play smart. I admire the fact he tries to take the team on his shoulders but as a player he has to understand his limitations. And not have them exploited like missing practically every fast break opportunity.

Fran is secure for a couple of years either way...

I think he needs to, and believe he will, get us to the tournament, for 2020 and beyond recruiting.

We WILL be a darn good team next year. We are this year... Throw in a couple of real good recruits, and I see us trending up or holding steady as a top third tier B1G team for the next 4 years.

Like your optimism. But if Fran misses this year he’s on shaky ground. If he misses next year, he’s gone.

This team is 10 points better if Cook would quit trying to pull off point guard drives to the basket. Thats on Fran. Fran's message to Tyler should be this....." if I ever see you try and drive from beyond the 3 point line again, you're going to sit on the bench for 40 minutes straight'.. That means the penalty could carry over to the next game, without Tyler in the starting lineup.

Cook and his aspirations to be drafted in the NBA is killing this team if it is't already dead.
He can't make a jump shot, he's not a great free throw shooter, when he want's to take over a game he becomes a selfish player that has tunnel vision and becomes less of a team player. Not a great rebounder either.
Lot's of athleticism but zero sh!t for brains, hope he's tired of college life and moves on after this season.
Fran should shoulder most of the blame for Tyler's inadequacies, what the eff does he teach between games, evidently nothing...

Reactions: Daisy Mae
I want to be hard on Cook, too, call him selfish and all that, but I can't do it (yet). I watch a ton of college basketball. My whole life. I played, started out freshman year as a walk-on at Iowa, ended up playing D2 at U Alabama-Huntsville. When it comes to watching Iowa I watch everything looking for any and all evidence of something to get excited about. I watch the bench a lot. I'm always interested in how a player behaves on the bench especially if they're struggling. You can tell a lot about team and/or program culture by keeping an eye on the bench during games, especially bad games. Cook is almost never pouting, at least I've never seen it. When he's on the bench he acts like a great teammate, like he is fully engaged and enjoying playing for Iowa.

Cook is a natural athlete but not a natural all-around basketball player. 20 or 30 years ago the expectation for him would have been much more limited. Rebound your ass off, score on the low block. No mid-post, no face-up, not until you've fully developed either/both in the offseason. These days whoever is your most talented physical body it's like all resources available go into turning that guy into an all-court player, score at all levels, make him a pro. Crazy thing is Cook is fairly close. Damn imagine Cook playing alongside a guy who could drive and draw gifting him a dunk or two per game, easy scores to get him going.

Hopefully Cook learns from today. Keep it simple. That last turnover was so bad and unnecessary. Hell he gives it up early to I think it was Moss on the wing he might get it back (hopefully Moss drills the three).

I don't know. Fran drives me nuts. Good dude, gets good people, but this is the B1G. You need frickin' studs to win in late January and through February. You need guys in practice that can come close to replicating the size, athleticism and physicality of MSU and Purdue. I feel like it's inching closer, guys like Nunge and Pemsl and Kriener surely are part of why Iowa is more consistently effective with the bigs, because they give Cook and Garza all they can handle in practice. But the backcourt? Depth there needs improvement.

I wish Joe could be a lead guard for stretches, maybe next year. It definitely helps Bohannon to get breaks, both more time on the bench and time on the floor with less ball handling responsibility. But Connor doesn't attack the basket from the lead guard spot either. That's the big hole in the roster (duh).

Sonofabitch I hate Richard Pitino. I sincerely hope that the kid Connor fouled recovers from that awful, malicious, flagrant foul.

But as an Illinois kid who went to Iowa, who doesn't have that Iowa-bred hatred of Minnesota, god I love that gym. I would trade the Barn for Carver in a heartbeat, and I say that having witnessed Carver at its absolute best.

WE didn't lose because Tyler Cook. We gave up 52 pts in 1st half, that is why we lost.

Tyler Cook has most physical talents on the team. Fran probably had to give him the carrot that this would be Tyler's team to keep him at Iowa. After Cook is gone, less turnovers but we will miss a guy that can get his own shot from low post. I don't think it will be addition by subtraction..just more of the same.. middle of the pack Iowa b-ball, nothing special.
Luka Garza respectfully disagrees

Like your optimism. But if Fran misses this year he’s on shaky ground. If he misses next year, he’s gone.

I am not so sure on Fran being gone. This is a good team. That I am sure of. Whether our record shows that in the end remains to be seen. But I think that we will have a good enough record to make the NCAA tourney.

That and this team will be better next year, with or without Cook. I would say with Cook, B1G contentors for certain. Without him we are still top third. And that is good to great basketball.

Lastly, Fran has some decent players: Garza, Weezie, Moss, JBo, Pemsl, Kriener, Nunge, Joe T, Patrick, Connor and Dailey. And let's not forget Till & CJ

WE didn't lose because Tyler Cook. We gave up 52 pts in 1st half, that is why we lost.

Tyler Cook has most physical talents on the team. Fran probably had to give him the carrot that this would be Tyler's team to keep him at Iowa. After Cook is gone, less turnovers but we will miss a guy that can get his own shot from low post. I don't think it will be addition by subtraction..just more of the same.. middle of the pack Iowa b-ball, nothing special.

Wrong. Tyler Cook had two chances to help Iowa win at crunch time but choked. First with the air ball free throw when lead was cut to four. Then tries to dribble it in from half court and turns it over when lead cut to four. TC is a selfish player who has highlight reel plays but has an overall negative impact on the game as a result of his turn overs, bad defense, lack of rebounding, selfish/poor ball handling, etc etc. Can’t wait until he is in the euro league or wherever good athletes that can’t shoot or handle the ball go.

Great post 'dolph. I very much appreciate the insight.

I agree with just about everything you mentioned. Cook definitely looks like a great teammate. All those guys do. This is a team that enjoys themselves, and they seem to thrive together. Love it.

Hopefully Cook learns from today. Along with the rest of the team, in playing with some aggressive defense, ALL OF THE TIME.

TC needs to continue to develop and play within yourself. He just gets so excited that he sometimes gets out of control. That noted, he is much better than he was last year. I hope to watch the progression over the next year-and-a-half in IC.

Go Hawks!

I want to be hard on Cook, too, call him selfish and all that, but I can't do it (yet). I watch a ton of college basketball. My whole life. I played, started out freshman year as a walk-on at Iowa, ended up playing D2 at U Alabama-Huntsville. When it comes to watching Iowa I watch everything looking for any and all evidence of something to get excited about. I watch the bench a lot. I'm always interested in how a player behaves on the bench especially if they're struggling. You can tell a lot about team and/or program culture by keeping an eye on the bench during games, especially bad games. Cook is almost never pouting, at least I've never seen it. When he's on the bench he acts like a great teammate, like he is fully engaged and enjoying playing for Iowa.

Cook is a natural athlete but not a natural all-around basketball player. 20 or 30 years ago the expectation for him would have been much more limited. Rebound your ass off, score on the low block. No mid-post, no face-up, not until you've fully developed either/both in the offseason. These days whoever is your most talented physical body it's like all resources available go into turning that guy into an all-court player, score at all levels, make him a pro. Crazy thing is Cook is fairly close. Damn imagine Cook playing alongside a guy who could drive and draw gifting him a dunk or two per game, easy scores to get him going.

Hopefully Cook learns from today. Keep it simple. That last turnover was so bad and unnecessary. Hell he gives it up early to I think it was Moss on the wing he might get it back (hopefully Moss drills the three).

I don't know. Fran drives me nuts. Good dude, gets good people, but this is the B1G. You need frickin' studs to win in late January and through February. You need guys in practice that can come close to replicating the size, athleticism and physicality of MSU and Purdue. I feel like it's inching closer, guys like Nunge and Pemsl and Kriener surely are part of why Iowa is more consistently effective with the bigs, because they give Cook and Garza all they can handle in practice. But the backcourt? Depth there needs improvement.

I wish Joe could be a lead guard for stretches, maybe next year. It definitely helps Bohannon to get breaks, both more time on the bench and time on the floor with less ball handling responsibility. But Connor doesn't attack the basket from the lead guard spot either. That's the big hole in the roster (duh).

Sonofabitch I hate Richard Pitino. I sincerely hope that the kid Connor fouled recovers from that awful, malicious, flagrant foul.

But as an Illinois kid who went to Iowa, who doesn't have that Iowa-bred hatred of Minnesota, god I love that gym. I would trade the Barn for Carver in a heartbeat, and I say that having witnessed Carver at its absolute best.

Last edited:
Say what? Wisconsin has a NET Ranking in the top 15. Minnesota is in the 50s, and they have some good wins. They both will most likely be in the tournament...and we don't deserve it since we lost on the road? Ok...
Net ranking? what’s Iowa’s NET ranking? Source please!

Well this is the board I'm use too. Who do we bash when we lose. This time it is Cook and Fran. Next time it will be J Bo and the other three guards. Maybe if any of these guards would have shown up the last two games then Cook wouldn't have to do everything.
This is a great thread, 800 posts on griping about a team who is trying hard. Maybe not up to all our standards but I really doubt any of them are not giving 100%. Probably trying more than 90% of you guys at your jobs.:(

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT