ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Rodents vs. Hawks Game Thread****

EO86aG.gif

That last sequence I can't help but think that K Murray would have been better in there for Nunge. When he's firing on all cylinders it's a huge mismatch, but when he's off, he gets in the way of rebounds and fails to pull it in, misses shots, etc.

Seems like that should have been a lot easier win given Minny shot so poorly.
That's because Iowa is still a bad defensive team. They can't afford to have offensive dry spells. When that happens, like it did today, it takes a potential blowout game and keeps it close.

Not to drag up the past, but where are the "Jbo shouldn't be playing over Joe T" crowd? It's BIG game time now and Jbo has risen from the ashes once again.....
Many said if JBO isn’t hitting shots then JT should start. Now, JBO is shooting well and turnovers are down. JT was playing better at the beginning. Seems like Jordan is a different player from what he was 4 games ago. The way he’s playing now, he should definitely start and play a lot of minutes. No turnovers today.

Any time he gets the ball under the hoop, he should be looking to dunk it at 6’11
Garza doesn’t but I’ll say Garza knows ahead what he wants to do and then adjusts as necessary. Jackie going to have to figure it out , getting stronger will help tho

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
What's up with CJF? Box score shows 25 mins. of PT, but he was almost non existent on the offensive end. He did help with carr, but it's not like he was the sole defender matching up with him one on one.

Garza doesn’t but I’ll say Garza knows ahead what he wants to do and then adjusts as necessary. Jackie going to have to figure it out , getting stronger will help tho
Garza doesn’t have the athleticism to dunk through contact - he usually needs a step. From an explosiveness standpoint, Jack should be looking to throw down and draw a foul on misses as he can definitely get up enough to do so in a given situation where he gets the ball under the hoop

What's up with CJF? Box score shows 25 mins. of PT, but he was almost non existent on the offensive end. He did help with carr, but it's not like he was the sole defender matching up with him one on one.
Not sure but glad he’s slumping with Bohannon on a tear. He’s too good of a player not to get it going soon

Reactions: KcTo and kceasthawk
Oh, and because it has to be said, Larry Scirotto and Courtney Green?

tenor.gif

If they call the game right today, Iowa wins by 25+.

Not to mention that both Carr and Robbins both foul out with 5+ minutes left on the clock.

Many said if JBO isn’t hitting shots then JT should start. Now, JBO is shooting well and turnovers are down. JT was playing better at the beginning. Seems like Jordan is a different player from what he was 4 games ago. The way he’s playing now, he should definitely start and play a lot of minutes. No turnovers today.
I understand that denmar, I do, BUT if your not going to give the benefit of the doubt to a FIFTH year senior who is Iowa's alltime leader in made threes', as well as a Big shot maker, AND one of Iowa's alltime assist leaders, then WHO exactly? Fran was right to stick with Jbo, and let him work his way back, and he can bring in JoeT or Ulis for that matter when needed. Until then, I plan on enjoying the last 20 games or so of some of the greatest Hawks who have ever played......

I understand that denmar, I do, BUT if your not going to give the benefit of the doubt to a FIFTH year senior who is Iowa's alltime leader in made threes', as well as a Big shot maker, AND one of Iowa's alltime assist leaders, then WHO exactly? Fran was right to stick with Jbo, and let him work his way back, and he can bring in JoeT or Ulis for that matter when needed. Until then, I plan on enjoying the last 20 games or so of some of the greatest Hawks who have ever played......
I understand Fran’s thinking, all coaches would have done the same. As couch coaches many of us noticed that JBO just wasn’t himself, uncharacteristically really bad passes, turnovers, and bad misses on his shots. Meanwhile, JT was playing his best basketball as a Hawk. Not so much now. Fans want the best 5 on the floor to start and JBO wasn’t at the time. Fran was willing to trade that for the chance for Jordan to come around. Kudos to him for that.

Nunge with 10 rebounds and pretty disruptive down low on defense. That’s all we really need from him this year.
Well put.
Nunge leads IOWA in rebound % and block shot % ( in 40 minutes of conference play ) and contributed 10 total (in 17minutes) but totaled 7 in only 10 2H minutes and added to IOWA being plus 5 rebounds in 2H (which was also the game margin).

With the scorers on this team, Nunge doesn’t have to score and attempt a lot of FGA, being an surprisingly nice passer being 2nd on team in Assists/40 Apart 5.7.

10 R, 1 B, 2 A, proves again to be a very productive 17 minutes will only add to his hiGH level of performance in these 2nd level metrics.

having Nunge play 17 Or more a game (versus the 9 in the 1st MN game) and his very efficient production in key areas (rebounding, defense, passing) will be a key to improving iowas defense PPP which must improve for Iowa to go deep.

Not sure but glad he’s slumping with Bohannon on a tear. He’s too good of a player not to get it going soon

I’m not worried about CJF and I don’t really think he’s slumping, he will make shots when asked, and he doesn’t take bad shots or turn it over.

my takeaways were 27 assists on 31 FGM, with jobo throwing it too Garza and Wieskamp 14x, for 2 guys that went 20-30.

The starting 3 perimeter guys had 18 assists and zero TO. We will take that and not worry about their point totals, as passing up contested or forced shots when you have Garza, Wieskamp and Jobo (now > 50% 3FG% in B1G play) is probably a smart thing. When CJF‘s FGA are there, I plenty confident that he will make more than his fair share.

Solid win, the guys firmed up late when needed after Minney cut the lead. Our defensive intensity still sucks, they were cutting through the zone and getting clean looks in the lane with ease.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT