ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Dual

I know 133 doesn't have an allocation. Weird to have a 3x qualifier who hasn't lost or placed lower than the next guy and not get him enough matches...or the retuning qualifier...I think even I could figure out how to get an allocation.

Last edited:
And replace him with who?
Bill Zadick, Casey Cunningham, Pat Pop, Rob Koll, Coleman Scott, David Taylor if he’s ready to retire, Kyle Snyder if he’s ready to retire, Jordan Burroughs, Ben Askren, Damion Hahn, Tom Ryan, & a slew of others.

You’ll say we could get worse. Are we really so scared of that possibility and so satisfied with the results under Brands that we imagine there’s NOBODY out there who might be worth taking a chance on?

No energy from our staff in the our corner. Feels like this is the end, and probably should be.
NO. My take this week has been, Iowa could wrestle a lot better than they did vs. Michigan but get beat worse. That happened. Penn State is so good right now. But Iowa made some gains in this dual, and it was a much better gauge of where we are really at. Plus Michigan got sh*t stomped by Nebraska tonight. Hard to cheer for either, but didn't mind seeing the outcome. If all the Hawks compete well we will have a respectable March.

Reactions: Trapper85 and 1PSU1
NO. My take this week has been, Iowa could wrestle a lot better than they did vs. Michigan but get beat worse. That happened. Penn State is so good right now. But Iowa made some gains in this dual, and it was a much better gauge of where we are really at. Plus Michigan got sh*t stomped by Nebraska tonight. Hard to cheer for either, but didn't mind seeing the outcome. If all the Hawks compete well we will have a respectable March.
Spoiler alert we will most likely not compete well. We typically don’t in March under Brands.

Stop with the second place isn't that bad b.s. talk. One championship in 11 years and two straight blowout duals isn't acceptable. There's no energy in Carver or the program at this point.

Beat on take downs 5 to 1 and the only 2 wins came vs psu's back ups. Not a great timeliness for hawk fans.

Stop with the second place isn't that bad b.s. talk. One championship in 11 years and two straight blowout duals isn't acceptable. There's no energy in Carver or the program at this point.
Just curious... how many duals have you gone to this year, including this one?

Those who understand win percentage and how it pertains to allocations understand why Hill didnt go tonight..
Yeah, well, our coaches don’t even know how to get the correct starter’s name in the hands of the adminstrators of the coaches’ poll for allocations, so excuse us if we don’t give Tom & crew the benefit of the doubt on knowing how to game win% for allocations.

Reactions: vhsalum
Unfortunately, I believe it will be the biggest beat down the Hawks have ever received in Carver Hawkeye.
Does anyone know historically if it was the worst defeat for Iowa ever in Carver Hawkeye?

Guy on Intermat says the 23 point margin is the worst over Iowa there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scruddy
Two good wins by Ayala and Rathjen.

Overall, just out-wrestled, out-hustled, out-coached, out-classed by a great PSU team.

Better recruiting, better development, and better transfers. But aside from that...
The sad part Tarp is that yes Ayala won but he is a blue chip in his 3rd year vs a less heralded true freshman and he hits the slide by for once and then did nothing but kneel and block the rest of the match. Rathjen showed some guts but again true freshman vs veteran and he had to pull it out. I'm not confident in that result staying the same.

No, Kirk 2.0
I mean really, Morningstar and Telford??
This is why we will never compete with Penn State again until changes are made.
Yep...high school recruits would have to "google" Telford and Morningstar to even know who they are.
No cred, no name recognition, and zero Natty titles between them.
That ain't getting in the front door of any elite high schooler.

Many fans thought he would be 3 on our depth chart this year also, so our back up beat your backup. You guys so small you get salty about losing 1-2 matches in carver 🧐
I believe your guy won a wrestle off not out there because the starter was injured!

Corey clark? Tony Ramos?
Clark you could argue, what he did with one arm was remarkable. IMO Ramos junior year was better than senior year, Tony was a stone cold killer as a junior and just wrecked guys. Even though he won it as a senior he wrestled tight instead of letting it fly. I do wonder why it is guys seem to regress as they go through the program longer and I don’t have the perfect solution but I’ll be honest I’m in the camp where something needs change.

Reactions: Chuck C and vhsalum
I love my Hawks but man we have some real soul searching to do as a coaching staff. If we do not evolve the sport will leave us behind. The style of wrestling is changing significantly and high school kids with elite athletic ability are thriving. I can’t imagine not bringing in a Kyle Snyder after the Olympic cycle and offering him boat loads to take over head assistant or something. We need the shake up in 24/25 for the future

The most glaring thing that says this is Penn State training and coaching is the ride. These guys didn't come to Penn State riding like that. They all ride identical.
They are masters at it.
Just something that's obviously different.

The refs let Aaron Brooks float stall ride for 2 minutes and gave him multiple verbal stalling warnings (stalemate, that's on you red) prior to giving him a real stall warning. What's the point of the new top stalling rule?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT