ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting vs psu

OH, I am relaxed and loving the smack down my HAWKS put on everyone including you kittens! Just like to keep things real!

As was pointed out by another member above, why come here and post your BS???? I have never posted a single thing on your board, not sure how many IOWA fans do? I have heard that if you post the crap like you D-heads post here. You get thrown off.

In any case, you try to put a spin on the stalling F*** state style that is now used by 100% of your wrestlers. Was not like this for the most part when you had several great wrestlers carrying the team. Now you have a game plan of backing up, playing defense and the edge, stall riding -especially riding on the near ankle etc.....

Lets see how this works out for your club wrestlers trying to move forward into international wrestling? I will answer it for you. IT WILL NOT!!! Watch all your club wrestlers fail come worlds and olympics.
You’re quite amusing.

Why don’t you win with class like your talented wrestlers?

Just wanted to say congrats to the coaches, wrestlers, and all the fans on the championship. It was a fun tournament to watch. No excuses, you guys were better. It’ll be interesting to see how lineups play out next year, and if we can gain some ground and pull it off. As of right now, I’d say you’re the favorites for next year as well. Having this rivalry is great for the sport, and being from PA, I like seeing the PA natives be successful. Congrats once again, enjoy it!

The Hawks are in a much better position to win two straight team titles, the days of psu guys scoring bonus points against the top competition is over. They can be as ”happy“ as they want they are not winning a team title again with this group. Their stalling technique will bite them in the ass, we are the ones going out to score points and it’s not going to change. I’m extremely excited about next season, the gap will widen and they know it. Let’s enjoy this, we are living rent free in their heads

How does anybody knock PSU for winning by recruiting better? If that’s what it takes, why wouldn’t any school try and recruit better? They clearly have good coaching. If their working harder at recruiting, have better creativity at finding alternative funding for expenses, have a better wrestling club, a better funded club, or whatever they are doing, we need to doing whatever they are doing. No reason we shouldn’t be getting 3-4 Top 20 guys each year (1-2 of which are in Top 5). No doubt kids are coming in more developed, ready to go, so it’s a no brainer to recruit better.
----
Work harder at recruiting and creative funding?

Lol! Yes, that would certainly help.

Info below is from 2016, but you can see the NLWC absolutely crushes the competition when it comes to money. They have more than double the $$$ as the next 10 clubs combined (most of that money came in a single year, from one guy ... who reportedly gave over $5 million to the NLWC, in a single year).

Ken Chertow described the situation with wrestling clubs as an "arms race" and said the situation is "not great."

2016 wrestling club assets
Wrestling clubNet assets
Nittany Lion Wrestling Club$5,824,799
Hawkeye Wrestling Club$717,173
Wolfpack Wrestling Club (N.C. State)$324,547
Ohio Regional Training Center$63,453
Terrapin Wrestling Club$21,014

As there is such a large grey area in how this money gets '"creatively" used, you don't need to be paranoid to see the potential for abuse and undoubtedly plays a part in grabbing so many top 10 recruits, year after year. It's a very un-level playing field.

PSU is getting the quick twitch, freak athletes. That showed up in a big way Saturday night.
Iowa has a lineup of very technical, hard-nosed guys, and yes, TnT do well with them...as a whole, they're not the same caliber of recruit PSU gets.

This.

And more than just "fast twitch." So many of the PSU recruits are proven elites... top 10 p4p, top of their weight class in HS nationally. In FS or GR they've had some real blue chip guys on a national and world level - including half of this year's team.

Retherford - world cadet FS gold
Hall - world Jr FS gold x2
Manville - US GR team
Cassar - US Jr FS champ
Berge - world Jr FS bronze
Brooks - world Jr FS silver
Verkleeren - world cadet FS gold
Howard - 2x cadet world team member. Jr Olympic gold
N Lee - national cadet and jr FS champ
Starocci - US cadet FS and GR gold
Kerkvliet - world cadet FS gold

----

Info below is from 2016, but you can see the NLWC absolutely crushes the competition when it comes to money. They have more than double the $$$ as the next 10 clubs combined (most of that money came in a single year, from one guy ... who reportedly gave over $5 million to the NLWC, in a single year).

Ken Chertow described the situation with wrestling clubs as an "arms race" and said the situation is "not great."

Wrestling clubNet assets

As there is such a large grey area in how this money gets '"creatively" used, you don't need to be paranoid to see the potential for abuse and undoubtedly plays a part in grabbing so many top 10 recruits, year after year. It's a very un-level playing field.

Really interesting that they also have a "Penn State Wrestling Club". That basically has award banquets. The author compares it to a really expensive "party planning committee"

Last edited:
----

Wrestling clubNet assets

Something fishy is going on fellas. Need someone in Happy Valley to pour some truth serum down the gullets of some Lions in the know so we can finally figure out what's going on.

In all seriousness, the absolute lock they have had on top-level recruits when viewed in connection with this info is certainly troubling. Even if there aren't any violations, and that's a big if, this just isn't great for the sport, period.

Disagree in the sense that athletic prowess helped their offense on Saturday. In a combined 28 minutes of regulation wrestling, the four PSU champs scored zero takedowns. This is not like the PSU teams that dominated in the past.
Agree 100 % with the total lack of offense...we shall see how Iowa comes back and defends next year. I would be telling the Hawks to NOT shoot and wear yourselves down Like Eirman did with 13 Unanswered shots...or like Kem did with repeated shots....which PSU used to score off of because they were just scrambling...PSU had no tilts or Back points against us and basically danced and waited for 28 minutes for their opponents to attempt to score... Put the refs on task to actually call stalling and you will die of old age before that happens consistently. Ass to the middle of the mat and lots of knee drops and feints at shots....if PSU is as badass as they say they are then make them wrestle not circle the edge for 28 minutes and pick up scramble points that their opponents initiated. I find it humorous that Cael gets the best recruits that PSU $ can buy....and yet 60 % of his team failed to produce for the team on Saturday night.... I mean yeah he had 4 individual champs but the rest of team failed in its goal to win the NATIONAL TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP...

How did 60% of PSU's team fail to produce? For starters, 3 of their 4 champs were underdogs in the championship bout. Both kerk and Beard placed above seed. Berge had to medical forfeit but he beat a much higher seed Young in round 2 before he was injured. Howard knocked off a 10th seed in round 1. The only PSU wrestler that failed to impress was Joe Lee.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Something fishy is going on fellas. Need someone in Happy Valley to pour some truth serum down the gullets of some Lions in the know so we can finally figure out what's going on.

In all seriousness, the absolute lock they have had on top-level recruits when viewed in connection with this info is certainly troubling. Even if there aren't any violations, and that's a big if, this just isn't great for the sport, period.

When recruits perceive that one program has the best coaches and the best room in the country, the elite recruits tend to want to be part of that program (see Iowa in the Gable years). Couple that with the fact that the program is geographically in the middle of the hotbed of high school wrestling and the results are not surprising. Quit looking for the boogey man and change the perception if you want to change the results.

Reactions: Sullivan
When recruits perceive that one program has the best coaches and the best room in the country, the elite recruits tend to want to be part of that program (see Iowa in the Gable years). Couple that with the fact that the program is geographically in the middle of the hotbed of high school wrestling and the results are not surprising. Quit looking for the boogey man and change the perception if you want to change the results.

"All the recruits just want to come here", he lied unconvincingly.

Agree 100 % with the total lack of offense...we shall see how Iowa comes back and defends next year. I would be telling the Hawks to NOT shoot and wear yourselves down Like Eirman did with 13 Unanswered shots...or like Kem did with repeated shots....which PSU used to score off of because they were just scrambling...PSU had no tilts or Back points against us and basically danced and waited for 28 minutes for their opponents to attempt to score... Put the refs on task to actually call stalling and you will die of old age before that happens consistently. Ass to the middle of the mat and lots of knee drops and feints at shots....if PSU is as badass as they say they are then make them wrestle not circle the edge for 28 minutes and pick up scramble points that their opponents initiated. I find it humorous that Cael gets the best recruits that PSU $ can buy....and yet 60 % of his team failed to produce for the team on Saturday night.... I mean yeah he had 4 individual champs but the rest of team failed in its goal to win the NATIONAL TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP...
Well, like most sports, it's a copycat deal, so Carl's boys might be best suited to start gearing up right now for chasing opponents who don't want to wrestle them either. And in this particular tournament it went their way at the end of those matches, that's not going to happen to the same degree over time.

And that style of wrestling got them the First Loser Trophy, so they can keep it up as far as I'm concerned.

Dude..
You sign top 5 recruits every year....that has never happened before so explain that to me please....
Your dealing with the new name for Johnstown. Idiot gets banned every 2 weeks because he is a low life like every other penn state fan.

Thanks, for me geographic proximity means a lot. Imaging what it would cost to see 6-10 meets where most cases it under a tank of gas travel cost wise, versus 800 or so miles? My kids owed 30k and 45k respectively, girl and boy twins. He had his masters in engineering, she graduated from PSU in four years.
Now let's say I lived in Muscatine or Davenport? They're going to Iowa most likely, especially him if he had D1 talent. Even though we are PSU grads.

You have a nice theory here about location, but it doesn't really hold up when you actually start to look at the facts.

Howard - NJ
RBY - Arizona
Nick Lee - Indiana
Bartlett - Arizona
Berge - Minn
Joe Lee - Indiana
Starocci - Penn
Brooks - Maryland
Beard - Penn
Kerk - Minn

So just looking at this year, you're looking at 40% of your starting line up NOT being from the immediate area of Happy Valley.
You're looking at another couple of kids (the Lee's) who are closer to both Iowa or Ohio State (an about an equal distant to OkSt) than they are Penn State.
That leaves you with Howard, Brooks, and the two Pennsylvania kids that might meet the criteria of your theory. Can't really blame a kid from Maryland for bolting that state and that program.

And if you look at past kids, this again doesn't hold up.
Hall - MN
Manville - VA
Nevillis - Cali
Nickal - TX
Teske - IA
These are just kids from 2 years ago. As I went back farther, it was mostly PA and NE region kids that were making up the roster. Maybe this is where Cael went wrong...started thinking nationally instead of regionally.

and I will say this one last time for everyone's pleasure. If Cael is so great at developing talent and teams he would have done it at Iowa State first. The fact he could not, even at his alma which you assume he loves so he should be able to sell it, says the situation at PSU is drastically different.
Those differences are money #1 and recruiting location but reading the above reply it would seem that is not as large a factor as first thought.
There is something extra in the water at PSU vs ISU, you tell me what it is.......

and I will say this one last time for everyone's pleasure. If Cael is so great at developing talent and teams he would have done it at Iowa State first. The fact he could not, even at his alma which you assume he loves so he should be able to sell it, says the situation at PSU is drastically different.
Those differences are money #1 and recruiting location but reading the above reply it would seem that is not as large a factor as first thought.
There is something extra in the water at PSU vs ISU, you tell me what it is.......

He was only at Iowa State for 3 years. Even in that short time, his team finished 2nd, 5th, and 3rd and produced 15 AA and 2 individual champs during that time. Was Iowa State finished in the top 3 at Nationals since Cael left? Sure, he has advantages at PSU that he did not have at Iowa but don't act like he didn't do jack-squat while at ISU.

He said it himself the relationship between Cunningham and RBY is a great example of who is developing the talent. Cael brings em in and Casey coaches em up. That's how it seems from the outside looking in. Especially considering your ISU comparison. Cael doesn't seem like he has the personality to coach, but he does a great job of spewing BS to not be straight forward with the media. Something that I think people don't care for in the long run. At least Tom comes off as genuine a quality that I look for in people.

He was only at Iowa State for 3 years. Even in that short time, his team finished 2nd, 5th, and 3rd and produced 15 AA and 2 individual champs during that time. Was Iowa State finished in the top 3 at Nationals since Cael left? Sure, he has advantages at PSU that he did not have at Iowa but don't act like he didn't do jack-squat while at ISU.
He didn't do much for what he had and in ISU defense he took the good kids with him to PSU so it was a start from scratch approach at ISU. Cyler and D. Taylor definitely went with him. His teams at ISU were typically ranked in the top 3 so him finishing where he did was no where near the over achieving he has done at PSU but the comparisons really are not comparable.

Reactions: FrontHeadlock2
How did 60% of PSU's team fail to produce? For starters, 3 of their 4 champs were underdogs in the championship bout. Both kerk and Beard placed above seed. Berge had to medical forfeit but he beat a much higher seed Young in round 2 before he was injured. Howard knocked off a 10th seed in round 1. The only PSU wrestler that failed to impress was Joe Lee.
Only one failed to impress and you got 2nd?

Reactions: HawkeyePA
You have a nice theory here about location, but it doesn't really hold up when you actually start to look at the facts.

Howard - NJ
RBY - Arizona
Nick Lee - Indiana
Bartlett - Arizona
Berge - Minn
Joe Lee - Indiana
Starocci - Penn
Brooks - Maryland
Beard - Penn
Kerk - Minn

So just looking at this year, you're looking at 40% of your starting line up NOT being from the immediate area of Happy Valley.
You're looking at another couple of kids (the Lee's) who are closer to both Iowa or Ohio State (an about an equal distant to OkSt) than they are Penn State.
That leaves you with Howard, Brooks, and the two Pennsylvania kids that might meet the criteria of your theory. Can't really blame a kid from Maryland for bolting that state and that program.

And if you look at past kids, this again doesn't hold up.
Hall - MN
Manville - VA
Nevillis - Cali
Nickal - TX
Teske - IA
These are just kids from 2 years ago. As I went back farther, it was mostly PA and NE region kids that were making up the roster. Maybe this is where Cael went wrong...started thinking nationally instead of regionally.

Given that PA had 50 NCAA qualifiers and half of Iowa's lineup is from the state, it might be a hotbed.

Cael was an assistant coach at ISU before he became head coach. His leaving ISU killed the program there as he took the best recruits and the following year’s potential recruits. ISU did not recover from that loss.

Reactions: evashevsky58
Cael was an assistant coach at ISU before he became head coach. His leaving ISU killed the program there as he took the best recruits and the following year’s potential recruits. ISU did not recover from that loss.

It's even worse than that because Bael basically forced his own coach, Bobby Douglas, to step down, and then burned his own alma mater a few years later!

There is a fair case to be made that the absolute worst thing to ever happen to ISU wrestling was Bael Sanderson.

The sport is going the John Smith way of coaching and away from Iowa style. Iowa almost gets punished for being aggressive and scored against on counter shots. Maybe that worked when the lineup was all studs, but it’s not working anymore even with top guys. Brad Penrith did fine from space and no collar ties or snapdowns. The recruiting tactics changed to compete with Iowa’s competitors, it’s time to play their game on the mat. Sad to say, but I’d like to see a year where Iowa doesn’t attack and and hold center mat just to throw off everyone’s game plan and just mock them. Unless it’s just an easy bonus point match. Low single, ankle pickers that hang on the edge of the mat and circle should be Iowa’s new style. Pussy okie and now PSU style. Pussy style worked though. Outsmarted again and have to adjust.

Wrestling in 80’s 90’s boring more alley brawl no fan interest not much skill. Wrestling now more fan interest more skill just need officials willing to follow rule book. Much rather watch college wrestling like its been in 2000 than how hard can i head butt u and push u. Hell get ur ladies to cat fight be more entertaining than so called Iowa style.

Wrestling in 80’s 90’s boring more alley brawl no fan interest not much skill. Wrestling now more fan interest more skill just need officials willing to follow rule book. Much rather watch college wrestling like its been in 2000 than how hard can i head butt u and push u. Hell get ur ladies to cat fight be more entertaining than so called Iowa style.

I think you can have Iowa style when the opponent is overmatched and get bonus points, but I also think when it’s a even matchup the Iowa style can fatigue the Iowa wrestler and open them up for counters and 3rd period shots when they’re tired from working while the opponent is doing nothing but keeping it close for a last minute shot on a tired Iowa wrestler who has been actually wrestling for three periods.

Wouldn’t those be considered Bobby Douglas recruits much like Zalesky had Gable recruits his first 3 years as head coach?😳

Reactions: nearfall2
one day you two fan bases will realize that both coaching staffs are great people that do great jobs. inso doing you will respect the hard work and dedication to the craft of each other.

but don't do that anytime soon b/c this is far too entertaining.

Yeah, people like Randy Lewis and McIlravy were just pure boredom.

I'm far more entertained watching wrestling from those decades.

No, I can put together a substantive list. I just chose a notable from each decade.

It’s not cookie cutter wrestling. Like I posted that the Bull, Spencer, Cass and Desanto should be Iowa style against inferior opponents. I don’t think it should be pushed on every wrestler and I don’t know if it is. Strategy is not a even remotely a strongpoint in Iowa wrestling. If it is Brand’s is getting murdered. It’s the same shit year after year and we keep blaming the wrestler getting beat with late takedowns. Gable is not God and it’s a different era and it’s time to be tactically smart and not hammers.

Reactions: 24 so far
The sport is going the John Smith way of coaching and away from Iowa style. Iowa almost gets punished for being aggressive and scored against on counter shots. Maybe that worked when the lineup was all studs, but it’s not working anymore even with top guys. Brad Penrith did fine from space and no collar ties or snapdowns. The recruiting tactics changed to compete with Iowa’s competitors, it’s time to play their game on the mat. Sad to say, but I’d like to see a year where Iowa doesn’t attack and and hold center mat just to throw off everyone’s game plan and just mock them. Unless it’s just an easy bonus point match. Low single, ankle pickers that hang on the edge of the mat and circle should be Iowa’s new style. Pussy okie and now PSU style. Pussy style worked though. Outsmarted again and have to adjust.
If I recall, Dr Martin turned Penrith in the finals.

It’s not cookie cutter wrestling. Like I posted that the Bull, Spencer, Cass and Desanto should be Iowa style against inferior opponents. I don’t think it should be pushed on every wrestler and I don’t know if it is. Strategy is not a even remotely a strongpoint in Iowa wrestling. If it is Brand’s is getting murdered. It’s the same shit year after year and we keep blaming the wrestler getting beat with late takedowns. Gable is not God and it’s a different era and it’s time to be tactically smart and not hammers.
I generally agree, but think Gable is God's twin brother, and want us to be 'tactically smart hammers'

one day you two fan bases will realize that both coaching staffs are great people that do great jobs. inso doing you will respect the hard work and dedication to the craft of each other.

but don't do that anytime soon b/c this is far too entertaining.
Cheerleader wrath will never die.

Hall and Tomasello were said to be probably going for four titles after their freshman year. Yet neither one got another title.
They didn't win it all again, but they certainly both improved. Other wrestlers come along, different styles match up differently. The luck of the draw can make a big difference. Many times if nationals were wrestled over a week later, especially with different match-ups, they would have different results. The "best wrestler" doesn't always win - just the best wrestler in that moment and those flurries comes out the victor... and sometimes it is after split-second reviews of the tape, and sometimes even those "impartial" decisions an overwhelming number of people would say was unfair.

The rules need to change. Get the refs to call more stalling on wrestlers who just back up all the time waiting for one shot or counter. Don't wait till 30 seconds to go and then call a stall. More should be called in the 1st period to make both men wrestle. WHATEVER...

Lets see how this works out for your club wrestlers trying to move forward into international wrestling? I will answer it for you. IT WILL NOT!!! Watch all your club wrestlers fail come worlds and olympics.
How did your prediction turn out for you? Half the men’s Olympic freestyle team comes out of the NLWC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT