ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting vs psu

Well, Gilman and Snyder got money and are **checks notes** on the Olympic team. It was obviously the right decision, for them.
So what you're saying is money can buy athletes and PS does both in the NLWC and their college team. Just stick around and go to the NLWC and we'll take care of all your college loans. Is this what we call a "SUGAR DADDY"?

So what you're saying is money can buy athletes and PS does both in the NLWC and their college team. Just stick around and go to the NLWC and we'll take care of all your college loans. Is this what we call a "SUGAR DADDY"?
That’s generally how it works for professional athletes, which would include Gilman and Snyder. And I wasn’t referring to collegians.

I'd like to see Brands match Cael. We keep a Lee, they get a Gilman. They keep a Lee, we get a Zain. Terry would be good for him.

No matter the sport, in the Olympics I've always cheered for the athlete/team that appeals to me the most, regardless of what country they're from. I always wanted Karelin to win, and hope that Sadulaev wins this year. Always pull for Brazil in volleyball, latin countries in baseball, Argentina in soccer, Canada in hockey, etc.
You rooted for Karelin over Rulon? Traitor.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Did PSU just add wrestling in 2010 or something? There were plenty of "down" years at PSU before 2020 and 2021.

You're also bragging about winning 8 of the last 10 to Iowa fans who have seen our team win 24 of the last 45 lol.
But how many has your current coaching staff won? you can't live on Gable's accomplishments for ever!

Reactions: PSUer1989
No that guy"s name was Gable for11 years straight.
Gable got his share, won't argue that, but not near the level of the Baelmeister.

I'm not gonna educate another PSU Troll on the subject however. Nice chatting with you the one time I will ever do it though (at least with this screename). Buh-Bye.

Reactions: wasdt21
But how many has your current coaching staff won? you can't live on Gable's accomplishments for ever!
Oh, but we can and will, because excellence with dominance is always remembered and never forgotten.

PSU had the most dominant decade of recruiting in the history of college wrestling. They had all the money in the world at their disposal, and they couldn’t win 9 in a row.
Carl has work to do.

Well, Gilman and Snyder got money and are **checks notes** on the Olympic team. It was obviously the right decision, for them.
If lee or suriano competed Gilman probably wouldn’t be on the Olympic team!!

Gable got his share, won't argue that, but not near the level of the Baelmeister.

I'm not gonna educate another PSU Troll on the subject however. Nice chatting with you the one time I will ever do it though (at least with this screename). Buh-Bye.
Haha! I like how I see a bunch of responses to something that was never in my feed, and then this carp must've slipped through. Welp, I guess that's easy to remedy eh?

Reactions: 24 so far
PSU literally had a top 10 overall (most top 5 overall) recruit at every weight last year except Joe Lee at 165.
Nothing to see here. I have it on good authority they're all either ROTC or have rich uncles. The latter has been largely untapped by other programs. Gotta give credit to Carl, he's a forward thinker.

P4P rank out of HS:

Iowa:
125 Lee #2
133 DeSanto #17
141 Eirman #39
149 Murin #44
157 Young #25
165 Marinelli #3
174 Kemerer #8
184 Brands #93
197 Warner #7
285 Cassioppi #13

PSU:
125 Howard #4
133 RBY #12
141 Lee #9
149 Bartlet #4
157 Berge #6
165 J Lee #20
174 Starocci #9
184 Brooks #2
197 Beard #11
285 Kerkvl #1

This past season, Iowa fielded a team with more top recruits than any they've had in the last 10 years.
PSU's recruit level was pretty standard for them, and significantly higher than Iowa's (7 PSU guys were top ten, and all starters were in top 20).

The fact that Iowa still won is a testament to the coaching and grit of their team. Give Brands the recruits anywhere near what PSU gets, and Iowa will win.

P4P rank out of HS:

Iowa:
125 Lee #2
133 DeSanto #17
141 Eirman #39
149 Murin #44
157 Young #25
165 Marinelli #3
174 Kemerer #8
184 Brands #93
197 Warner #7
285 Cassioppi #13

PSU:
125 Howard #4
133 RBY #12
141 Lee #9
149 Bartlet #4
157 Berge #6
165 J Lee #20
174 Starocci #9
184 Brooks #2
197 Beard #11
285 Kerkvl #1

This past season, Iowa fielded a team with more top recruits than any they've had in the last 10 years.
PSU's recruit level was pretty standard for them, and significantly higher than Iowa's (7 PSU guys were top ten, and all starters were in top 20).

The fact that Iowa still won is a testament to the coaching and grit of their team. Give Brands the recruits anywhere near what PSU gets, and Iowa will win.
Been saying this for a long time. I would love for someone to post the overall recruiting numbers for the past 10 years. I use to be able to find it, but for some reason(maybe it is paid sites now who have it?) I can not find it.

Guessing F*** state and Bael have out recruited the next 3-4 programs combined!!!

Been saying this for a long time. I would love for someone to post the overall recruiting numbers for the past 10 years. I use to be able to find it, but for some reason(maybe it is paid sites now who have it?) I can not find it.

Guessing F*** state and Bael have out recruited the next 3-4 programs combined!!!

All the Karl/PSU fans who claim he's by far and away the best coach in America like to forget that he could never beat Iowa when he was at ISU. It's funny how Karl became the great coach once he started landed top 10 P4P recruits on the regular.

All the Karl/PSU fans who claim he's by far and away the best coach in America like to forget that he could never beat Iowa when he was at ISU. It's funny how Karl became the great coach once he started landed top 10 P4P recruits on the regular.
PSU fans are often revisionists who tend to support a narrative that only puts a positive spin on their program. Even Pyles on Flo does this..his most reason PSU love fest got called out last week by Askren when he tried to make Caels lack of Olympic representation less visible by painting this years trials as some super coaching.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
  • Haha
Reactions: hlstone
6 years (generally speaking) gets most kids through a career.

it doesn't matter what time frame you pick, there's going to be 'yeah, but' issues.

I do have those numbers though. one sec.

It's behind a paywall ($10)

but this really breaks it down

Iowa and Penn State were actually 4th and 5th in recruiting (based on average recruiting class rankings) over the last 6 years. Although PSU had many more Top 10's. (Iowa had many more from 21-50).
I'm sure those rankings have some need base and quantity metrics to them, so I personally wouldn't give much credence to it, no offense intended. If Iowa brought in 2 Top 10 p4p every year and was ranked as the 5th best class every year I'd be estatic.

If you can run out 8 of 10 weight classes with Top 10 p4p every 4 year cycle and repeat that, you're going to win, a lot. Says Captain Obvious! (with the caveat if they're all 125 lbers you might have some issues.......)

I'm sure those rankings have some need base and quantity metrics to them, so I personally wouldn't give much credence to it, no offense intended. If Iowa brought in 2 Top 10 p4p every year and was ranked as the 5th best class every year I'd be estatic.

If you can run out 8 of 10 weight classes with Top 10 p4p every 4 year cycle and repeat that, you're going to win, a lot. Says Captain Obvious! (with the caveat if they're all 125 lbers you might have some issues.......)

so, for instance Penn State's 2019 Class was literally 1 guy - Starocci.

I didn't give them a Top 25 ranking for that. So for any class that wasn't Top 25 i just plugged in a 30 valuation.

obviously they got tremendous value out of that 1 guy.

that same year Iowa had Assad and Glazier and i gave them #25.

psu, to date, has gotten more ncaa pts out of that 'class'

So you're telling us that the Nebraska coaching is subpar?
Dumb way to look at it. Part of coaching is recruiting.
Nebraska was 3rd in recruiting and 9th in NCAA finish.

in the last 12 years they Top 12 ten times (once 13th and once 21st).

that's not subpar. that's better than 68 of the 77 DI teams.

frankly, there's not a really good reason why Nebraska is remotely in this conversation. they don't have the recruiting grounds PA/NJ/OH has or the legacy that IA or OK have.

objectively speaking, they over achieve, and have been doing so consistently for decades.

Theres definitely a different recruiting philosophy based on post above.
Iowa went with or was able to get guys lower ranked out of top 10. They were able to coach up and have won NCAAs with this philosophy..while Cael has according to this years team no one outside top 20.
Individual by year recruiting classes can be skewed because based on graduation a team could have 6 seniors and bring in 6 top 40 guys and another team could have 1 scholarship and bring in the #1 guy in nation and the 6 will be a better recruiting class based on quantity rather than quality.

It's behind a paywall ($10)

but this really breaks it down

Iowa and Penn State were actually 4th and 5th in recruiting (based on average recruiting class rankings) over the last 6 years. Although PSU had many more Top 10's. (Iowa had many more from 21-50).

Good stuff here. Not too surprising of a result from the analysis (better recruits = better placement, who knew?) but still very interesting to see all the actual data laid out like that.

frankly, there's not a really good reason why Nebraska is remotely in this conversation. they don't have the recruiting grounds PA/NJ/OH has or the legacy that IA or OK have.

objectively speaking, they over achieve, and have been doing so consistently for decades.
I'm just pulling your chain. Thanks for all the work you do. Love your stuff on Rokfin.

Reactions: smalls103

I will give them credit, they put out a pretty competitive product most years. They underachieved this year IMO (Thanks Schultz! Ha!), but they are pretty respectable more often than not, and it's always better to face someone who can test you, at least IMO.

That's part of the reason why I have and would still like to see Iowa State improve, it's just more fun beating them when they're good highly contested duals, and better for Midwest Wrestling as a whole (aside from the awesome entertainment value).

P4P rank out of HS:

Iowa:
125 Lee #2
133 DeSanto #17
141 Eirman #39
149 Murin #44
157 Young #25
165 Marinelli #3
174 Kemerer #8
184 Brands #93
197 Warner #7
285 Cassioppi #13

PSU:
125 Howard #4
133 RBY #12
141 Lee #9
149 Bartlet #4
157 Berge #6
165 J Lee #20
174 Starocci #9
184 Brooks #2
197 Beard #11
285 Kerkvl #1

Wow. That’s insane. I agree recruiting is part of coaching and good on Carl for getting so many top guys but our average guy was ranked 25.1 in the P4P rankings and PSUs average rank was 7.8. That’s a pretty huge disparity to overcome. Makes what TNT have done to develop their wrestlers even more impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT