- 133: Teske (8) vs Heilmann (7) Rutgers
- 157: Siebrecht (5) vs Glichen (10) Indiana
- 184: Assad (5) won by Medical Forfeit over Malczewski (6) Michigan State

Iowa has 4 wrestlers going for 3rd - 6th places:

- 149: Murin (4) vs Thomas (3) Northwestern
- 174: Brands (7) vs O'Reilly (4) Minnesota
- 197: Warner (5) vs Smith (6) Maryland
- Hwt: Cassioppi (3) vs Davison (4) Northwestern

All 10 Hawks have qualified for Nationals!

Tough draw for Murin and Cassioppi. Would have rather had these match ups in the 3rd place match but what are you going to do? Should be close, hard fought matches.

Brands can definitely beat O’Reilly. Just gotta SHOOT NELSON COME ON!!!

Hopefully Warner keeps it up. He has been looking like post season Warner so far in this tournament. He has been frustrating to watch at times in his career (okay that’s an understatement), but he is a good kid and I want to see him go out strong!

I like Teske and Cobe to win 7th!

I like Warner's chance best, and Murin has been wrestling well....but has a tough match. Rest of the guys better step it up or could be frustrating consis today.

Nebraska with 5 in the finals. They have a better tourney team than I realized
They're wrestling well this weekend but they seemed to have a lot of favorable paths to the finals. Outside of Hardy beating Bartlett, who isn't exactly a world-beater, they got semi wins over Michael DeAugustino, Chase Saldate, Ethan Smith, and Zac Braunagel. Meh.

Blockhus improving his NCAA seeds.

2023 Big Ten Championships​

Points Per Individual
Spencer Lee (Iowa)18
Aaron Brooks (Penn State)17.5
Dean Hamiti (Wisconsin)17
Michael Blockhus (Minnesota)17
Patrick Kennedy (Iowa)17
Real Woods (Iowa)17
Aaron Nagao (Minnesota)16
Brock Hardy (Nebraska)16
Carter Starocci (Penn State)16
Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State)16
Mason Parris (Michigan)16
Peyton Robb (Nebraska)16
Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State)16
Sammy Sasso (Ohio State)16
Kaleb Romero (Ohio State)15
Levi Haines (Penn State)15
Liam Cronin (Nebraska)15
Max Dean (Penn State)15
Mikey Labriola (Nebraska)15
Silas Allred (Nebraska)15
Lenny Pinto (Nebraska)14
Matt Ramos (Purdue)12.5
Shayne Van Ness (Penn State)12
Matt Finesilver (Michigan)11
Patrick McKee (Minnesota)11
Tony Cassioppi (Iowa)11

Murin can usually outlast Thomas, who gasses against high pace guys. Teske is probably least likely to win. Brands’ match is a toss-up, but I think he pulls it out. Cobe’s is a toss-up, but I think he comes up short. Warner should never be in danger, but we know he’s not going to blow out a decent guy. Davison has looked a little off, so I have Cass, despite the spladle debacle last year.

Murin can usually outlast Thomas, who gasses against high pace guys. Teske is probably least likely to win. Brands’ match is a toss-up, but I think he pulls it out. Cobe’s is a toss-up, but I think he comes up short. Warner should never be in danger, but we know he’s not going to blow out a decent guy. Davison has looked a little off, so I have Cass, despite the spladle debacle last year.
As with most of our guys who are on the back side Murin needs to attempt to shoot! It's like a broken record with some of these guys and it sucks to watch.

Teske has a 7/8 matchup. Given that he can't beat anyone better than him and beats guys he's better than this is the ultimate toss up for Teske.

Murin has won h2h multiple times but in Jan he played wrestling for the whole match and let Yahya get off the decisive shot. You wanna win Max? Shoot

Cobe is who he is. He's limited offensively and probably more limited by the shoulder issue. While his funk did not work against better guys in the bracket I hope he can pop off something against IU wrestler. An extra team point would be nice.

Brands probably loses both matches to finish 6th. He has zero offense and getting to 4 freaking points feels like an almost insurmountable task. That ain't good.

Abe got us an extra team point today and his placement point. Outstanding performance!

Warner gonna have a couple of 3-1, 3-2 matches but I have no idea who will win them.

Tony just needs to get to his shots and ride tough. I absolutely HATE the prospect of him going up against the fat, knee-twisting, manbun wearing prick from WI. Shoot, ride, get the F out of there healthy.

Reactions: AFHawk86
Crappy thing is Iowa actually has the heavy hitters this year to keep up with PSU in Lee and Woods. Kennedy has more than done his part as the 3rd heavy hitter. Its that Iowa is missing out on a lot of points behind those 3 guys that is killing the team race. 133, 157, and 184 are huge problems this year in tournament format. Though Brands is wrestling above seed he isn't bringing in a lot of pts. Murin and Warner might place 3rd or 4th but they also don't bring in a lot of points. Cass is really the only non finals guy that can rack up team points.

Crappy thing is Iowa actually has the heavy hitters this year to keep up with PSU in Lee and Woods. Kennedy has more than done his part as the 3rd heavy hitter. Its that Iowa is missing out on a lot of points behind those 3 guys that is killing the team race. 133, 157, and 184 are huge problems this year in tournament format. Though Brands is wrestling above seed he isn't bringing in a lot of pts. Murin and Warner might place 3rd or 4th but they also don't bring in a lot of points. Cass is really the only non finals guy that can rack up team points.
PSU has 5-6 finalists. We don't have the heavy hitters to keep up. We'd have to swarm them with numbers, i.e. 9-10 AAs, and that barn left the horse.

Thomas’s gas tank issues have been less noticeable. Murin needs the first TD. Teske is tougher on top. He’ll win by 2. COBE needs the first TD and he’ll win. Warner wins in Warner fashion and takes 3rd. Cass takes 3rd with bonus points in the consolation final

Thomas’s gas tank issues have been less noticeable. Murin needs the first TD. Teske is tougher on top. He’ll win by 2. COBE needs the first TD and he’ll win. Warner wins in Warner fashion and takes 3rd. Cass takes 3rd with bonus points in the consolation final

If Max wrestles like he did vs Van Ness he’ll be fine. He’ll if he wrestles like he did vs Sasso, he’ll break Thomas. Sasso is just better and tough as nails. Blockhus wrestled Yahya similar to how Max wrestles, and he broke him.

Thomas knows he can take down Murin. He changed his strategy successfully last match.

Before, gets a takedown early and tries to stave off an attacking Murin all match and has allowed Murin to overcome him in the 3rd.

This year, he didn’t try to get an early takedown and with the match 1-1 got his takedown late and won. Murin can’t let him do that again, he needs to take committed risks even if he gives up a takedown because he can get it back. If he allows 6 minutes of hand fighting he will lose to the late takedown again. Same thing Paniro did. We need to game plan this one, huge for seeding as Murin doesn’t want the 8 or 9 seed.

No we don’t. They have 4 NCAA champs in their lineup plus GK.

PK isn't at that level. 165 is insanely deep with 3 NCAA champs PLUS multiple other returning AAs. He won’t even be a top 5 seed.

Let’s stop lying to ourselves. PSU is just much better.

As with most of our guys who are on the back side Murin needs to attempt to shoot! It's like a broken record with some of these guys and it sucks to watch.

Teske has a 7/8 matchup. Given that he can't beat anyone better than him and beats guys he's better than this is the ultimate toss up for Teske.

Murin has won h2h multiple times but in Jan he played wrestling for the whole match and let Yahya get off the decisive shot. You wanna win Max? Shoot

Cobe is who he is. He's limited offensively and probably more limited by the shoulder issue. While his funk did not work against better guys in the bracket I hope he can pop off something against IU wrestler. An extra team point would be nice.

Brands probably loses both matches to finish 6th. He has zero offense and getting to 4 freaking points feels like an almost insurmountable task. That ain't good.

Abe got us an extra team point today and his placement point. Outstanding performance!

Warner gonna have a couple of 3-1, 3-2 matches but I have no idea who will win them.

Tony just needs to get to his shots and ride tough. I absolutely HATE the prospect of him going up against the fat, knee-twisting, manbun wearing prick from WI. Shoot, ride, get the F out of there healthy.

“He just needs to shoot!” Is the most rube wrestling take ever.

“He just needs to shoot!” Is the most rube wrestling take ever.
You're so right, L12 Jr.

Our guys that refuse to shoot have had outstanding tournaments. In fact, they are wrestling in the morning session on Sunday.

Blockhus improving his NCAA seeds.

2023 Big Ten Championships​

Points Per Individual
Spencer Lee (Iowa)18
Aaron Brooks (Penn State)17.5
Dean Hamiti (Wisconsin)17
Michael Blockhus (Minnesota)17
Patrick Kennedy (Iowa)17
Real Woods (Iowa)17
Aaron Nagao (Minnesota)16
Brock Hardy (Nebraska)16
Carter Starocci (Penn State)16
Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State)16
Mason Parris (Michigan)16
Peyton Robb (Nebraska)16
Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State)16
Sammy Sasso (Ohio State)16
Kaleb Romero (Ohio State)15
Levi Haines (Penn State)15
Liam Cronin (Nebraska)15
Max Dean (Penn State)15
Mikey Labriola (Nebraska)15
Silas Allred (Nebraska)15
Lenny Pinto (Nebraska)14
Matt Ramos (Purdue)12.5
Shayne Van Ness (Penn State)12
Matt Finesilver (Michigan)11
Patrick McKee (Minnesota)11
Tony Cassioppi (Iowa)11
Bonus points Iowa=17. Penn St=9

This used to be our biggest issue.

No we don’t. They have 4 NCAA champs in their lineup plus GK.

PK isn't at that level. 165 is insanely deep with 3 NCAA champs PLUS multiple other returning AAs. He won’t even be a top 5 seed.

Let’s stop lying to ourselves. PSU is just much better.
You’re giving PK no respect. So many of you said he couldn’t beat Amine. He’ll be top 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT