ADVERTISEMENT

Session III

Brands…#19 @ 152 …not sure on p4p but obviously not very high.
Assad…#1 @ 182 and #13 p4p
Warner…#1 @ 195 and #7 p4p
Cass…#3 HW and # 34 p4p

I’d say Nelson has given us about what we expect, but Assad and Warner have been underwhelming considering their rankings. I know Warner is a 4x AA, but he doesn’t score bonus points like you expect a top 10 p4p guy should. Cass is about what we expected.

It’s both a recruiting problem (174) and a development problem (184 & 197).

This is BEYOND ignorant. Kemerer and Warner were Finalists at 174 and 197, respectively, AA’d top 5 the last 2 seasons and would have been 3 if not for Covid. Assad had a string of injuries mess him up badly.

I swear, it’s like a bunch of you literally know nothing about wrestling. It’s crazy, because this board ALSO has some of the most knowledgeable fans possible too.

It is just so frustrating because many of you don’t realize how spoiled you are. I mean you are complaining about guys that are wrestling for 5th place in BY FAR the most difficult conference in all of Folkstyle wrestling. Your WORST guy just took 7th and is top 15 in the Country. Not one other team in all of DI has all 10 across the board and that includes PSU.

Yes, PSU is better. But, this Iowa team is actually really good. You have 10 point scorers at NCAAs and 2 guys that look like Champs. 75 other teams in DI would trade for that level of talent in a frocking heart beat…
Well said. It’s easier to see for you as an outsider. We’d all do well to listen to this

I'm curious if anyone has broken down the team scoring down by session. Obviously the matches get harder and harder as the tourney moves along. But it seems some here fail to realize that and think because the team takes more Ls as it progresses, our guys are somehow wrestling worse. PS- Warner is wrestling on one leg and can't take a shot. Open your eyes.

Yeah great but that has nothing to do with what I said nor was there any “disrespect.”

Just getting on the podium at 165 is beyond impressive this year.
Anyone know when Carr v O’Toole 2.0 is happening?

This is BEYOND ignorant. Kemerer and Warner were Finalists at 174 and 197, respectively, AA’d top 5 the last 2 seasons and would have been 3 if not for Covid. Assad had a string of injuries mess him up badly.

I swear, it’s like a bunch of you literally know nothing about wrestling. It’s crazy, because this board ALSO has some of the most knowledgeable fans possible too.

It is just so frustrating because many of you don’t realize how spoiled you are. I mean you are complaining about guys that are wrestling for 5th place in BY FAR the most difficult conference in all of Folkstyle wrestling. Your WORST guy just took 7th and is top 15 in the Country. Not one other team in all of DI has all 10 across the board and that includes PSU.

Yes, PSU is better. But, this Iowa team is actually really good. You have 10 point scorers at NCAAs and 2 guys that look like Champs. 75 other teams in DI would trade for that level of talent in a frocking heart beat…
If you think any of the things you mentioned means we should be grateful, then you don't understand Iowa wrestling. The expectation is championships, anything less is disappointment. Ask the wrestlers themselves if they are happy with those results.

Reactions: MatBrat
So the coaches say the right things but the results do not back it up. Who have we developed? It just seems like too many of our wrestlers are scared to shoot unless they feel they have them dead to rights. I could be missing a lot but I rather see Teske give up some late points still wrestling rather than Warner, Asad or Brands trying to win by riding time or one quality takedown. It hasn’t been working anyway. It’s hard to watch.

Cass…#3 HW and # 34 p4p

I’d say Nelson has given us about what we expect, but Assad and Warner have been underwhelming considering their rankings. I know Warner is a 4x AA, but he doesn’t score bonus points like you expect a top 10 p4p guy should. Cass is about what we expected.

It’s Probly more likely a top 10p4p guy doesn’t all American than he’s a top bonus guy. Warner being a 4x AA is a good outcome.

I think the frustrating part with 174-197 over the past 6-7 years is the general lack of aggressiveness and ability to get to and finish shots. Yes, kem was at 74, but he was aggressive from the moment he stepped on campus and moved up to that weight. Pretty evident Assad has fought injuries that surely could have hampered his abilities, but his best wrestling was in 2020 when they pulled his redshirt. He can get to legs, but gets flattened out repeatedly and has a very tough time finishing. Warner has no go to shot to get a td if he needs it against tough opponents. The only thing he does is dive at his opponents right leg and the entire country knows it’s coming. Nelson is just whatever at this point, he hasn’t been aggressive his entire career for some reason.
Feels like we have a glaring need for coaching and/or sr level partners at that weight range that will encourage a philosophy change.

If you think any of the things you mentioned means we should be grateful, then you don't understand Iowa wrestling. The expectation is championships, anything less is disappointment.
Most of us except reality on realities terms. Dan gable had probably the best run in college sports ever. To not be disappointed that we are no longer in that Era is silly.

Cass…#3 HW and # 34 p4p

Remember that there are multiple guys #1 at their respective weights in college at once. Warner is pretty much in range.

the thing to remember with assad is he was ranked in the 80’s before he went on an insane heater at cadet trials. then he came back down to earth his senior year and ended up being ranked appropriately in the 30-40 range. he’s performed exactly like a recruit in that range should be expected to. very solid top 15 guy who struggles to break through to the stand. similar to murin. doesn’t help he’s struggled to stay healthy too.

nelson brands was not a good recruit. the fact he’s this good is a testament to his work ethic and development.

If you think any of the things you mentioned means we should be grateful, then you don't understand Iowa wrestling. The expectation is championships, anything less is disappointment. Ask the wrestlers themselves if they are happy with those results.
There are expectations and then there are realistic expectations. Even then, you CAN be happy being the clear 2nd best team and STILL want more, without being moronic saying 5th place B1G finishers suck, let alone an NCAA Finalist.

Also, NOTHING you said is different for almost everyone very DI wrestler on a top 15ish team. They ALL want championships. But, the smart ones realize how hard it is to win matches at NCAA, let alone AA or win it all.

By your standard not one single Iowa wrestler is truly happy with their career. Remember, NOT ONE has been a 4xer.

Simply put, you can always want the best. But, EVERYONE should learn to appreciate a team that is the ONLY one that has finished top 5 EVERY time the last 15 years. You can want more and expect more, but saying your 2nd place wrestling team “sucks” is beyond asinine…

There are expectations and then there are realistic expectations. Even then, you CAN be happy being the clear 2nd best team and STILL want more, without being moronic saying 5th place B1G finishers suck, let alone an NCAA Finalist.

Also, NOTHING you said is different for almost everyone very DI wrestler on a top 15ish team. They ALL want championships. But, the smart ones realize how hard it is to win matches at NCAA, let alone AA or win it all.

By your standard not one single Iowa wrestler is truly happy with their career. Remember, NOT ONE has been a 4xer.

Simply put, you can always want the best. But, EVERYONE should learn to appreciate a team that is the ONLY one that has finished top 5 EVERY time the last 15 years. You can want more and expect more, but saying your 2nd place wrestling team “sucks” is beyond asinine…
A lot of strange assertions in this from things I never said, you are very lost in translation. Good luck with that. Bottomline: Championships or bust.

A lot of strange assertions in this from things I never said, you are very lost in translation. Good luck with that. Bottomline: Championships or bust.
My original post was to people that said those EXACT things. Since you replied to that post in a contradictory fashion, you take on those parts as well. You literally said “any of the things you said”…

Assad was the #1 ranked 182 pounder and #13 p4p. So I guess PSU getting all the talent is only part of the equation.

Assad had slipped back by the end of the season possibly not even top 20 pfp. Regardless it was a poor job recruiting. He was mainly a freestyle guy and we swiped him from Army.

It’s Probly more likely a top 10p4p guy doesn’t all American than he’s a top bonus guy. Warner being a 4x AA is a good outcome.
Also the gap between the #1 guy in a class and the number 5 is often cavernous. The quality really drops off quickly from the top..

My original post was to people that said those EXACT things. Since you replied to that post in a contradictory fashion, you take on those parts as well. You literally said “any of the things you said”…
Sorry mate, I honestly didn't read most of your posts, they seemed like you were mostly gaslighting and pandering for attention from the "everyone gets a trophy crowd". I really couldn't get past the first paragraph. I'm sure the posts were really profound and so convincing that your opinion is the only one that matters, however, I'll continue to stand by my original comment: the expectation here at Iowa is championships.

Note: We'll see if you catch the similarity in this post and all of yours.

Iowa just beat psu head to head. Good win for murin

Sorry mate, I honestly didn't read most of your posts, they seemed like you were mostly gaslighting and pandering for attention from the "everyone gets a trophy crowd". I really couldn't get past the first paragraph. I'm sure the posts were really profound and so convincing that your opinion is the only one that matters, however, I'll continue to stand by my original comment: the expectation here at Iowa is championships.
Lmfao. Equating a 5th place big ten finisher, an NCAA Finalist or the 2nd best team in DI to “everyone gets a trophy crowd” is priceless. Ignorance must be bliss.

You continue to live in your world and I will live in the real one. As long as that happens we won’t run into each other….thanks for the laughs!

• Haha
Reactions: HawK + i
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT