ADVERTISEMENT

*****W Virginia vs Iowa (W) Game Thread*****

Which is what Gabbie was doing very well at times, love that effort
Just wish we could get something out of O’Grady since she is the biggest body we have that sees time. Martin rebounds wayyyy better than O’Grady and it shouldn’t be that way.

Colorado has an inside presence. Hope more than just Clark can make shots in this next round (And Hannah…make the layups!).

I don’t think we beat LSU but I want Iowa to play them in the elite 8.

Just wish we could get something out of O’Grady since she is the biggest body we have that sees time. Martin rebounds wayyyy better than O’Grady and it shouldn’t be that way.

Colorado has an inside presence. Hope more than just Clark can make shots in this next round (And Hannah…make the layups!).

LSU isn't unbeatable.

But we can't play like we did last night, that's for sure.

The only reason Iowa won this game is because they out scored WV 25-3 at the free throw line. WV made more 2's and more 3's. Iowa struggled on the offensive end because they couldn't get open and they stood on offense. Typically teams stand around because they cannot get open.
Go watch the game again. Iowa missed at least ten OPEN 3pt shots. Maybe the girls were too sore from getting munched to hit shots they typically make?

You play zone when the other team has a "shooter" that consistently misses wide left while shooting from the knee caps. I'm not sure what you consider a junk defense, but if it works is it really junk?
I would call a triangle and 2 a junk defense.

Wish OGrady & Hannah could play at the same time. OGrady at the 5, Hannah play the 4.

She’s my low key favorite player on this team. Sorry #22
I will say it again, that Syd and Kate can and need to drive it to the rim more often. Teams have two players outside near Caitlin many times and if Hannah or the center is out by the free throw line at a high post area then Syd and Kate should have room to drive and get layups and fouls.

WVU's quickness seemed to bother Kate yesterday or it was her own pressure in her last home game. But she make a lot of big plays that werent scoring.

Iowa better clean it up or take a loss to Colorado. Too many bad passes, fumbleitus, and poor shooting. WV had no business being in the game to the end.
Yes, Hannah had a tough time handling and passing the ball and overall they were not ready for WVU's come from behind them swiping and jumping into passing lanes

As it turns out, West Virginia fans have no idea how basketball works or even a basic understanding of the approach West Virginia uses in their play style. Evidently, they don't understand that when your entire defensive philosophy is to foul the shit out of the other team that this will mean you end up getting called for a lot more fouls. They also don't understand that when your offensive strategy is to hang around the 3 point line and chuck up shots all day while never driving the lane, you aren't going to get very many fouls called on the other team either. Based on their online comments, there is no amount of logic that will teach them these things either.

Iowa better clean it up or take a loss to Colorado. Too many bad passes, fumbleitus, and poor shooting. WV had no business being in the game to the end.

Hmmm….well West Virginia played a shit ton of close games with a bunch of teams in this tournament as it turns out.

In fact Baylor, still in the round of 16, beat them twice. 65-58 & 66-65, so….

Not sure there was any real crime beating them by 10, do you think ?

Reactions: littlez
Hate to say it, but refs weren't going to let Iowa go down tonight.

Nice to be the good team that gets the *late calls.
That's ludicrous. We got a lot of late calls because they were intentionally fouling us in the last minute and a half. That's where the huge disparity came, the last minute and a half. And in the women's game vs the men's, which I like, it's 2 shots at the 5th foul, so we shot what, 12-14 free throws in the last 90 seconds? Fouls every game shouldn't be 50-50. One team, W VA played 94 feet of aggressive man to man defense and we played zone. You're going to foul more. And those were legitimate fouls.

Hate to say it, but refs weren't going to let Iowa go down tonight.

Nice to be the good team that gets the *late calls.

This is just dumb. I mean dumb.

How about when the WV player hit the ball across the line on the inbounds sideline play. Technical foul, no call.

Or when the 5 seconds out of bounds on WV got inexplicably gifted right back to WV?

Or the play where the WV player went down to the ground clutching Stuelke’s arm causing her to faceplant into the court. Not a basketball move, intentional foul not called.

Last edited:

How about when the WV player hit the ball across the line on the inbounds sideline play. Technical foul, no call.

Or when the 5 seconds out of bounds on WV got inexplicably gifted right back to WV?

Or the play where the WV player went down to the ground clutching Stuelke’s arm causing her to faceplant into the court. Not a basketball move, intentional foul not called.
Or the play right before the non-called intentional foul where Moore tackled Stulke after the basket was made. Pretty sure I saw a hooked arm on that play as well.

One final note on the Stuelke haters...I thought outside of missing a few bunnies she was tough as hell tonight. She was in with the trees on the glass and had some big rebounds and battled under the hoop all night. Not an easy assignment with all the mugging going on down there tonight.
Hannah missed some bunnies and had several moments where WVU’s play got her way too flustered on the offensive end, but she had some really nice plays on that side, too, and shot her free throws pretty well (aside from the 0-fer near the end which she later atoned for). She also had not one, not two, but THREE of the cleanest blocks I’ve ever seen. And was tossed around like a rag doll all night which apparently is all good in the women’s game now.

Gabbie ended up with zero points, but made SO many plays on the defensive end: the blocked three, the charge drawn against the WVU break, the steal under the basket going out of bounds that would have given us possession if she’d have had someone who had been aware to save it to, etc….

Kate had a rough night on offense, too, but was getting the sh!t knocked out of her and still was rock solid on the boards.

Sydney had two of the biggest plays of the night with the put back of Gabbie’s missed three (that was about 3/4ths down before it popped back out), and of course the drive with the and-1 at the end that we probably don’t win without.

Believe it or not, that was a TEAM win last night.

(Now ladies, PRETTY PLEASE make your threes on Saturday…)

there going to lose this game
Classic foul the sh!t out of a team and dare the refs to call them. As stated, the whole damn WV team could have fouled out.
Not the greatest performance tonight offensively, but they locked down on D and forced WVU into alot of perimeter play. Not their strong suit.
This time of the year it doesn't matter how you get it done. Survive and advance.
Iowa plays with a target on their back and teams are just itching to take down the GOAT. Need to be prepared for this going forward. It won't get any easier.
One final note on the Stuelke haters...I thought outside of missing a few bunnies she was tough as hell tonight. She was in with the trees on the glass and had some big rebounds and battled under the hoop all night. Not an easy assignment with all the mugging going on down there tonight.
"One final note on the Stuelke haters.." Nobody is a HS hater, but she did struggle to pass, catch, and dribble tonight and some of the criticism was warranted. Just because someone says something negative does not make them a "hater". So, tired of that BS by the sanctimonious posters.

Just rewatching a bit of the game and there are countless more, especially early in the game when the tone was being set. First quarter immediately before Clark hits her first 3 of the game, the defender fouls her with a body slam and hits her arm. Luckily Clark stepped back and sank the three, but still an uncalled obvious foul. A possession later, in transition two different transitioning WVU defenders hit Clark and pinball her knocking the ball out of bounds. Same possession as Clark gets her charge call on the theatric flop, immediately before the charge call the defender has her arm extended and tangled with Clark’s not extended right arm at the elbow as she dribbles with her left. Obvious foul. A few second later, Gabby knocks the ball loose for a steal but the WVU guard grabs Gabby’s arm to prevent her from gaining possession. No call. Gabby pushed a little too so this one I get a bit more. A few seconds later, Gabby knocks the ball loose for another steal, Affolter dives and is gaining possession when the WVU guard runs into her. Foul called on Affolter instead of WVU. That was all in about two minutes of the game.

Classic foul the sh!t out of a team and dare the refs to call them. As stated, the whole damn WV team could have fouled out.
Not the greatest performance tonight offensively, but they locked down on D and forced WVU into alot of perimeter play. Not their strong suit.
This time of the year it doesn't matter how you get it done. Survive and advance.
Iowa plays with a target on their back and teams are just itching to take down the GOAT. Need to be prepared for this going forward. It won't get any easier.

She was awesome

Reactions: intrepodor
there going to lose this game

And I’m assuming they’re tired of the bitching now what?!

That girl gave it her all. She played inside on defense and rebounding with her hair on fire. So no I don’t believe some fat ass message board poster has any God-given right to trash people out in the arena doing something while they’re sitting on their fat ass typing on a message board and eating Cheetos….

Try this on for size because there’s a number of you that like to call people, self-righteous, sanctimonious, holier than now…

When You are continually trashing other people it shows that you believe you are a superior human being, and have the right to judge what and how they’re doing…

So the next time you feel the word “sanctimonious” fill your mouth, know you’re talking about yourself…

Like Dennis Rodman, shouldn’t have out rebounded anyone?

While I agree that Hannah played hard and was a warrior on the boards, the "in the trees" statement doesn't fly. This was one of the smallest teams we've played all year. My only issue with Hannah is if they are going to keep using her as the outlet on inbounds plays she needs to be prepared. Several times she was like a deer in the headlights when she got the ball. She's played over 60 games now, so she needs to lock that down.

Just rewatching a bit of the game and there are countless more, especially early in the game when the tone was being set. First quarter immediately before Clark hits her first 3 of the game, the defender fouls her with a body slam and hits her arm. Luckily Clark stepped back and sank the three, but still an uncalled obvious foul. A possession later, in transition two different transitioning WVU defenders hit Clark and pinball her knocking the ball out of bounds. Same possession as Clark gets her charge call on the theatric flop, immediately before the charge call the defender has her arm extended and tangled with Clark’s not extended right arm at the elbow as she dribbles with her left. Obvious foul. A few second later, Gabby knocks the ball loose for a steal but the WVU guard grabs Gabby’s arm to prevent her from gaining possession. No call. Gabby pushed a little too so this one I get a bit more. A few seconds later, Gabby knocks the ball loose for another steal, Affolter dives and is gaining possession when the WVU guard runs into her. Foul called on Affolter instead of WVU. That was all in about two minutes of the game.

I remember this stretch and remember thinking “What the hell are these refs seeing?” Blown call blown call blown call. All in favor of WV.

Understand it is difficult and crews are not very good but damn…when it’s one sided for stretches, you wonder.

I remember this stretch and remember thinking “What the hell are these refs seeing?” Blown call blown call blown call. All in favor of WV.

Understand it is difficult and crews are not very good but damn…when it’s one sided for stretches, you wonder.
Thats like the wrestling match that broke out between Hannah and Moore for WV. The first time they just let it go. The second when Hannah got her face smashed into the floor, they had to call something. The physicality has gotten WAY out of hand. When they ask a coach, "how to plan to defend Clark, or slow her down" its always "we'll have to be physical with her". Which we all know means body checks, forearms to the body, grabbing, the occasional elbow. Yet people complain about the foul calls. Crazy. There ALL fouls! Thats NOT basketball. At least its not supposed to be, but ass hats like Izzo have made this high contact a blueprint, especially against teams you can't score with. Just muddy the game up into an alley fight......

Thats like the wrestling match that broke out between Hannah and Moore for WV. The first time they just let it go. The second when Hannah got her face smashed into the floor, they had to call something. The physicality has gotten WAY out of hand. When they ask a coach, "how to plan to defend Clark, or slow her down" its always "we'll have to be physical with her". Which we all know means body checks, forearms to the body, grabbing, the occasional elbow. Yet people complain about the foul calls. Crazy. There ALL fouls! Thats NOT basketball. At least its not supposed to be, but ass hats like Izzo have made this high contact a blueprint, especially against teams you can't score with. Just muddy the game up into an alley fight......

Exactly… being physical is damn near a colloquialism to fouling. Also, I read a take on that play that suggested Hannah hooked her and I asked, don’t you think she’d pulled her arm out to protect herself when she face planted if she was doing the “holding”?

The one defensive “move” they don’t call that I wish they would is when a defender is beat…when they put their near hand down / inwards into the near hip of the offensive player with the ball to impede their progress / slow them down / gain position.

that is a God Damned Foul. Call it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT