ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned at NCAAs this weekend

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN
Just what we heard when Jimmy Z was on the chopping block.

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

What a weekend. While it wasn't the best for the Hawks - I still love talking to the best fans of the world's oldest and gratest! Let's run it down shall we!

Lineup:

125: Ayala
133 - Peterson/portal
141 - Portal
149 - Block
157 - Caliendo/Siebrecht
165 - PK
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter/Hill

Biggest surprise for me is Block at 149. But it looks like he'll be the man. Right now the plan is Caliendo to 157 (edited to add Siebrecht as well at 157) to get PK in the lineup. Brands medical was approved. AJ - somehow, yuck, - is still in the plans, but it sounds like he's just going to move on to MMA. Anthony is still around and is still a troublemaker. Why he's still around is absolutely absurd and when he does something worse, it's going to be on Tom.

There is no talk about changes to assistant. Like Wahlberg said - assistants are just extensions of Tom. Period. I think its short-sighted, arrogant, and at this point, just plain negligent, but hey, dems the breaks.

Sorry acuhawk - Tom's practices on a general basis are NOT 45-60 minutes. They are towards the end of the season, and certainly happen earlier than they used to, but that is not the typical practice time. But the practice time isn't really the biggest deal - it's still the intensity. Still long goes, still far more on the "dark places" track.

Now the biggie - yes. Kyven was right. The AD has plans to talk to DT. She is dead serious about WINNING chips again. She's not particularly happy with Tom at the moment. The gambling, the ferrari situation, and this performance - she's holding Tom accountable and will be looking to do what will have us beat carl. She is VERY AWARE of the legacy of Iowa wrestling and how we're falling further behind. Like I told you earlier, she shut down AJ coming in in January - she's not a fan and isn't a fan of Tom's decision to bring the circus in. She also told Tom to get a hold of Terry - it's why he's been "less" in the corners.

Now how this got out? Not sure, but it likely means there are Tom loyalists who wanted it leaked. Because the plan was to wait until after the Olympics to talk to DT. So now that its out, not sure if this will accelerate talks or stop them completely.
If BG is talking publicly about changes to wrestling staff, that would really lower my opinion of her. Doing it quietly behind the scenes, that’s fine but how much would that undermine TB and staff. They don’t deserve that kind of treatment.

To believe this, it would mean you would have to believe Beth is openly discussing personnel matters with the general public. Do people really believe this is the case? So our AD is openly discussing personnel matters, and already has conducted off-season reviews, prior to the end of the season? Sounds to me like typical national tournament rumor and inuendo.
Huh? Off season reviews? This didn’t start in March. Tom might know what’s going on. Tom may have discussed with others. Beth doesn’t operate in a vacuum.

Tnt probably arent ready to retire. Wonder where they would go, maybe to a big ten or back down south? Wonder who they would take with them?

If BG is talking publicly about changes to wrestling staff, that would really lower my opinion of her. Doing it quietly behind the scenes, that’s fine but how much would that undermine TB and staff. They don’t deserve that kind of treatment.
Huh? You get all that from that?

I never see Ferrari in any of the lineup predictions. Is the word he is not coming or redshirting?

She's not a fan and isn't a fan of Tom's decision to bring the circus in. She also told Tom to get a hold of Terry - it's why he's been "less" in the corners.
I can see this, the circus was on full display at the SS this winter. That includes our coaches (Terry?) verbally accosting an opposing coach, who happens to be a former Iowa national champion. That was a bad look (although I'm sure some loved it)

Not sure I buy the DT thing, but she was at least partially behind canning the son of the former head of the AD. So she could be very proactively working on the wrestling program.

Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub
I never see Ferrari in any of the lineup predictions. Is the word he is not coming or redshirting?
Well Nelson ain't coming back to sit on the bench and Ferrari is probably undersized for 184 next year.

A RS makes perfect sense, with a few Ferrari matches sprinkled in to preserve Nelson's old body.

Any other names being thrown around? It did look like Tom maybe is seeing the writing on the wall with his comments after the tournment.
Nope

To believe this, it would mean you would have to believe Beth is openly discussing personnel matters with the general public. Do people really believe this is the case? So our AD is openly discussing personnel matters, and already has conducted off-season reviews, prior to the end of the season? Sounds to me like typical national tournament rumor and inuendo.
She isn't discussing personnel matters with the "general public" - I honestly can't believe this got out. This is probably a huge lesson in which booster(s) she can trust.

I imagine there would be a year turnover. Brands coaching next year with the next coach learning where the bodies are buried while getting a start on recruiting. That would fit in with a Olympians timeline.

Nope. Whenever the talk occurs/he agrees, he takes over. Could be a situation where he names an assistant who operates as the interim until after the Olympics.

Sounds like a way to try to keep the big money willing to donate. Trying to shift the perception after NCAAs. DT has M2 and a business with his wife along with multiple other ventures in State College. He’s not going anywhere and it will probably blow up in Iowa’s face as they will alienate some of the Iowa fan base who loved The Brands. Sort of the same way the Ferrari and in a lesser way Downey fiascos blew up. There is no short cut. If this gets out it will divide the fan base. You can act happy in here but it’s not happening.

What a weekend. While it wasn't the best for the Hawks - I still love talking to the best fans of the world's oldest and gratest! Let's run it down shall we!

Lineup:

133 - Peterson/portal
141 - Portal
149 - Block
157 - Caliendo/Siebrecht
165 - PK
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter/Hill

Biggest surprise for me is Block at 149. But it looks like he'll be the man. Right now the plan is Caliendo to 157 (edited to add Siebrecht as well at 157) to get PK in the lineup. Brands medical was approved. AJ - somehow, yuck, - is still in the plans, but it sounds like he's just going to move on to MMA. Anthony is still around and is still a troublemaker. Why he's still around is absolutely absurd and when he does something worse, it's going to be on Tom.

There is no talk about changes to assistant. Like Wahlberg said - assistants are just extensions of Tom. Period. I think its short-sighted, arrogant, and at this point, just plain negligent, but hey, dems the breaks.

Sorry acuhawk - Tom's practices on a general basis are NOT 45-60 minutes. They are towards the end of the season, and certainly happen earlier than they used to, but that is not the typical practice time. But the practice time isn't really the biggest deal - it's still the intensity. Still long goes, still far more on the "dark places" track.

Now the biggie - yes. Kyven was right. The AD has plans to talk to DT. She is dead serious about WINNING chips again. She's not particularly happy with Tom at the moment. The gambling, the ferrari situation, and this performance - she's holding Tom accountable and will be looking to do what will have us beat carl. She is VERY AWARE of the legacy of Iowa wrestling and how we're falling further behind. Like I told you earlier, she shut down AJ coming in in January - she's not a fan and isn't a fan of Tom's decision to bring the circus in. She also told Tom to get a hold of Terry - it's why he's been "less" in the corners.

Now how this got out? Not sure, but it likely means there are Tom loyalists who wanted it leaked. Because the plan was to wait until after the Olympics to talk to DT. So now that its out, not sure if this will accelerate talks or stop them completely.
You are truly one of the ones I just shut my mouth and thank the good Lord for. In that I thank you for your input, never a need to inject further, you always say what I'm thinking.

My guess is coming and redshirting (Angelo only, especially if the coaching change is made). He needs a year to grow into 184 and between Caliendo, PK, and Gabe, there's no room at the inn at 165 or 174, so a RS year really makes sense for him.

Reactions: MVPFAN and vhsalum

Lineup:

133 - Peterson/portal
141 - Portal
149 - Block
157 - Caliendo/Siebrecht
165 - PK
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter/Hill

What do you mean by “get a hold of Terry”?

You do realize if this works out like you’d hope it would we’re looking at two teams scoring 135 and taking up 11-13 finals slots.
All most of us here want (outside of PSU type domination) is to NOT have the damn thing sewn up by Friday afternoon. I would LOVE for it to be a white knuckle affair between the Nits and Hawks on a yearly basis!

All most of us here want (outside of PSU type domination) is to NOT have the damn thing sewn up by Friday afternoon. I would LOVE for it to be a white knuckle affair between the Nits and Hawks on a yearly basis!
My comment was more about how the main effect would be to suck a handful of top contenders from other teams, driving down the scores of the #3-8 teams.

Reactions: hlstone
Openly discussing with the biggest $$$ boosters is certainly believable to me.
And something leaked.

No coaching turnover would be smooth.

Don’t see DT and Brands working toget

This. Former athletes and even athletes on the team are "questioning" the training. There are boosters and parents of alumni questioning the same.
100% true on this. The Brands's act has worn thin. I know of a few high caliber guys on the team that will spend some time training during the off season outside of Iowa City.

I've been working in higher education since Ronald Reagan was president and there's a saying: "There are no secrets on a campus". That may or may not be true here. Time will, of course, tell.

I've been working in higher education since Ronald Reagan was president and there's a saying: "There are no secrets on a campus". That may or may not be true here. Time will, of course, tell.
This. The leak could come from a lot of places. When you need a new head coach at a program like this, you don’t just advertise the position on the website and see who applies.

Typically, the A.D. will ask a bunch of trusted sources who are the top choices and/or hire a consultant to provide a short list. Neither of those options happen without a fair number of people knowing about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT