ADVERTISEMENT

****Georgia Tech vs Iowa Game Thread*****

Fran does go “ brain dead” at times and leaves guys on the pine who should be getting minutes. Tonight just another example in respect to Bowen.

Yet FRan is never brain dead enough to forget to play his two boys big minutes. CMAC had pretty good game at 31 min, PMAC wasn't very good in his 26 min. There was room for less PMAC and more Bowen. Bowen looks like special talent--his development would move the needle on the team by end of the year.

I think Fran sensed the game was going to be a half court offense game in second half and Conner keeps the offense flowing in the half court he also made terrific passes into the post
Bulldogs is bitching just to bitch. Connor was more than solid last night, on both ends of the court. The main sub in for Connor would have been Sandfort. Yeah, the guy who presently can’t shoot straight and, more importantly, was getting torched on D.

Reactions: Buffalo43 and Ree4
I think that Iowa cheerleader wants me…
Has no one made a GIF of this yet? That was hilarious.

-------

In regards to Connor... He's playing the best ball of his career. Most reliable 3pt shooter right now, and the only one Iowa can trust from 3 besides Kris, though I think Sandfort will find his consistency. Connor is also the best passer and is defending and rebounding well. Pat's play has been far more inconsistent.

Ugly win against a team Iowa seemed to matchup well against. This team at its best may be very similar to when last year's team peaked with the same known weaknesses. But last year the bench was deeper with Kris offering Keegan-lite minutes. For this team to be the best they can be you're going to need a healthy Perkins, Sandfort to find his consistency, and quality bench minutes from Bowen and Ogundele.

Anytime someone describes a 16-pt win as "ugly", it's still a thing of beauty. The game against TCU was ugly. This game was beautiful.
Yes I meant ugly in terms of Iowa having what seemed like a high number of self-inflicted mistakes. I feel great about a win like last night because it's nice to have a lot to clean up while still winning by double digits. Even if GT may be a lower tier P6 school.

Yeah, going back and looking at the box score, it seems the TCU disaster is what has people down on pmac, but he was looking really good before that imo

Yeah, going back and looking at the box score, it seems the TCU disaster is what has people down on pmac, but he was looking really good before that imo

I'm going to chalk Patrick's down TCU game to being on the road and being worn out after his intense performance against Clemson the night before,... He'll come around.

Reactions: slipHawk
Bulldogs is bitching just to bitch. Connor was more than solid last night, on both ends of the court. The main sub in for Connor would have been Sandfort. Yeah, the guy who presently can’t shoot straight and, more importantly, was getting torched on D.
yah.... truefan is here.
it's not sanfort or connor, fran can adjust.
the defense was solidified when they went to zone, nothing to do with 1 player being in.
How can you possibly think that bowen shouldn't have been getting minutes?

Has no one made a GIF of this yet? That was hil

-------

In regards to Connor... He's playing the best ball of his career. Most reliable 3pt shooter right now, and the only one Iowa can trust from 3 besides Kris, though I think Sandfort will find his consistency. Connor is also the best passer and is defending and rebounding well. Pat's play has been far more inconsistent.

Ugly win against a team Iowa seemed to matchup well against. This team at its best may be very similar to when last year's team peaked with the same known weaknesses. But last year the bench was deeper with Kris offering Keegan-lite minutes. For this team to be the best they can be you're going to need a healthy Perkins, Sandfort to find his consistency, and quality bench minutes from Bowen and Ogundele.
I’m happy for CMac and am glad he had a great game last night, as IOWA needed every bit of it in an underwhelming effort against an inferior team.

Maybe in your 6th yr of play and with no BaseBall, CMac will find his shot, however, I’m probably going to say that it’s only an O-5 stretch will get him right to his historical 32% 3Pt FG%, and playing up 10 at home vs GT is not like playing on road at Duke. so let’s see where we are at after 20 3pt FGA….

I do agree that this team weakness looks like last years, with the exception that Ulis, Perkins and Devontee are far superior at perimeter defense.

I’m happy for CMac and am glad he had a great game last night, as IOWA needed every bit of it in an underwhelming effort against an inferior team.

Maybe in your 6th yr of play and with no BaseBall, CMac will find his shot, however, I’m probably going to say that it’s only an O-5 stretch will get him right to his historical 32% 3Pt FG%, and playing up 10 at home vs GT is not like playing on road at Duke. so let’s see where we are at after 20 3pt FGA….

I do agree that this team weakness looks like last years, with the exception that Ulis, Perkins and Devontee are far superior at perimeter defense.
Connor is 27-55 from 3 since Jan 31 of 2022. I think we have a large enough sample size to say that he’s turned his shooting around considerably.

Connor is 27-55 from 3 since Jan 31 of 2022. I think we have a large enough sample size to say that he’s turned his shooting around considerably.
I certainly hope he has….

betcha he ends up closer to his lifetime 32% than the selective end points you’ve chosen, yes?

41% would be close to the mid point between the two. So, yeah, he’s likely going to end up closer to his career average.

Regardless, he’s a better player today than he was last year, which included off season surgery in case you’ve forgotten.

Reactions: Bishop1971 and KcTo
I certainly hope he has….

betcha he ends up closer to his lifetime 32% than the selective end points you’ve chosen, yes?
32 percent is ok though considering where he was at this time last year, opponents were purposely not defending him.

I don't expect this great shooting to continue but no one is going to purposely leave him unguarded now.

32 percent is ok though considering where he was at this time last year, opponents were purposely not defending him.

I don't expect this great shooting to continue but no one is going to purposely leave him unguarded now.
I don’t think most people realize that 33% is the NCAA average for 3 point shooting. I’m not claiming that Connor is a superstar, dead eye shooter. But, as you mentioned, it sure doesn’t hurt having another player on the floor that the opponent has to defend. I’m

Reactions: iahawks10
I don’t think most people realize that 33% is the NCAA average for 3 point shooting. I’m not claiming that Connor is a superstar, dead eye shooter. But, as you mentioned, it sure doesn’t hurt having another player on the floor that the opponent has to defend. I’m
I don't think people realize that last year he was on the verge of being unplayable after Underwood choose to park Koffi in the lane and ignor Connor.

Thats almost unheard of.

Shortly after that Connor accepted that he has to shoot when open and the results have been pretty good and now very good this season.

30%-40% whatever, when you've managed to come back from that its actually pretty amazing.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Georgia Tech looked awful - especially in the 1st half. I was very surprised at how far they have gone downhill. I remember the days of Mark Price and Chris Bosch, etc... Unfortunately TCU exposed the Hawks weakness is playing physical and feeding the ball inside the paint. This win was not all that impressive unfortunately. I'm looking forward to Sandfort to work his way out of the shooting funk as they will need him for B1G play. Ulis needs more playing time going forward - glad to see he is starting to get more confidence and show he can make a difference.

As I

As I stated, I’m happy for Connor, and I hope his shooting continues, and stating that we should be wary of small sampl sizes as proof when much larger sample sizes show another thing.

41% would be close to the mid point between the two. So, yeah, he’s likely going to end up closer to his career average.

Regardless, he’s a better player today than he was last year, which included off season surgery in case you’ve forgotten.
I actually had forgotten about the injury so thanks for the reminder.

I hope hes healthy this yr as a 6th yr senior does bring experience to the game and with improved shooting would be a valuable component, maybe more valuable in whole than his brothers over all value package

Reactions: Bishop1971
I actually had forgotten about the injury so thanks for the reminder.

I hope hes healthy this yr as a 6th yr senior does bring experience to the game and with improved shooting would be a valuable component, maybe more valuable in whole than his brothers over all value package
How should I put this….Patrick is the more talented player, Connor is currently better at basketball. Patrick floats waaaaay too much for my liking m.

Reactions: KcTo
How should I put this….Patrick is the more talented player, Connor is currently better at basketball. Patrick floats waaaaay too much for my liking m.
agree that PMac has greater skills in terms of finishing on the break, scoring around the rim, jumping higher, but none of his other skills have materialized into much value (although we all look forward to when they do)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT