ADVERTISEMENT

****Iowa (6-0) @ UVA (5-2) Game Thread****

Huh. Virginia plays a low scoring style with a stout defense. They've been somewhat challenged offensively so far being ranked 97th in offensive efficiency. If Iowa really is improved defensively they should be able to hold them under 70 as they've only exceeded that total once against Radford. I don't know that Virginia can hold the Hawks under that figure. I like the Hawks outright and the over in this one. It will definitely be a tougher test than any they've faced to date.

70-66 Hawks

I can't wait for this game....we will finally see how these guy's play against solid opposition. That said, Virginia is a very high level defensive team and not so good on offense. I can't understand how we were a favorite at one time? That said, I also wonder what has happened to move this line?

Huh. Virginia plays a low scoring style with a stout defense. They've been somewhat challenged offensively so far being ranked 97th in offensive efficiency. If Iowa really is improved defensively they should be able to hold them under 70 as they've only exceeded that total once against Radford. I don't know that Virginia can hold the Hawks under that figure. I like the Hawks outright and the over in this one. It will definitely be a tougher test than any they've faced to date.

70-66 Hawks
If iowa scores 70 they will win.

As down as Virginia may be, they are an upperclassmen-laden squad. They only roll 7 deep, so if we can attack the hoop and get some guys in foul trouble that could be huge. I’ve got 75-70 Iowa

Opened: Iowa -1.5
Current: UVA -2.5
Total Pts: 130

6pm
ESPN2

UVA has loses to Navy & Houston
Playing AT VA is going to be tough. Anyone who had this as a win for the Hawks before the season started is crazy. I expect Iowa to struggle but hopefully pull this one out. If the 3s aren't falling for Iowa, it could be a really bad game.

Reactions: perryhawk
VA will try to slow this game down and grind it out,.. Our young guys will need to run when they can but stay focused and patient when they have to be...

Playing AT VA is going to be tough. Anyone who had this as a win for the Hawks before the season started is crazy. I expect Iowa to struggle but hopefully pull this one out. If the 3s aren't falling for Iowa, it could be a really bad game.
Yeah I’m not expecting a lot tonight. UVA is battle tested, plays a style that gives us fits, and we have a relatively young team going on the road for the first time and really the first time some of these guys have ever played in a hostile environment. UVA has been playing at a high level since the Houston loss. If we lose I hope everyone doesn’t freak out but I know better for this board.

The B1G is favored in 11 of the 14 matchups according to kenpom. Unlikely to turn out that way.

I’ll take Iowa by 9. If I were a UVA fan looking at their bench, I’d be worried. The only two guys playing off the bench consistently are upperclassmen who haven’t done anything the past few seasons. That’s pretty damning for the young guys on their roster.

Toussaint and Clark are both defense first point guards with offensive limitations. That matchup will probably decide the game.

Yeah I’m not expecting a lot tonight. UVA is battle tested, plays a style that gives us fits, and we have a relatively young team going on the road for the first time and really the first time some of these guys have ever played in a hostile environment. UVA has been playing at a high level since the Houston loss. If we lose I hope everyone doesn’t freak out but I know better for this board.

Agreed. That Navy loss was bad but they’ve certainly played a tougher schedule than us.

Reactions: BiPolarHawkeyeFan
Keegan needs to stay out of any foul trouble as I do believe we need to play M2M for almost the entire game. No cheap 3s...make them earn everything. Box out and GO!
My biggest concern is first time in a long while shooting in someone else's crib. Do we cool off from 3??
Go Hawks!

Reactions: DougFHawkeye
As mentioned above....UVA has improved dramatically after their Houston loss. That defense is VERY tough and as someone else mentioned, Wisconsin is the best comparison.

So, as an Iowa fan I am prepared to be frustrated......and my predictions (which are almost always wrong) are the following that need to be done for Iowa to win.

1) We have to have low turnovers.
2) We have to rebound enough that the numbers aren't big in their favor.
3) We need at least one person (maybe two) to shoot well from the perimeter.
4) Our defense has to be relatively good.

Playing on the road against a team that has found their footing in the defensive identity will be very very tough. I agree with what was stated above...hopefully we can hang around and find a way to win in the end.

Last but not least, whatever the outcome, I hope we show significant progress on the defensive end and in rebounding.

I watched one Virginia game...here's what I got out of it. They are long...really good athletes...and they play hard at both ends. A few of these forwards weren't skilled shooters, but can put it on the floor and get to the rim. Point guard has serious quicks...and is a true point guard...looks to get everyone involved...very similar to Toussaint, but I think he quicker.

Fran is going to have to run some serious motion to get guys looks from three...in the game I watched they were running guys off the line and the length bothered people.

They play a pack line defense, trying to force you into jump shots. We are going to see how good our half court offense is tonight.

So, if we are not hitting the mid range and 3 point jumpers, we could be in for a real battle.
I think you make a great point. Good Iowa moves the ball, makes the defense work and finds good shots. Not so good Iowa forces things with 1:1 drives into traffic resulting in turnovers/charges. Have to win the TO battle to have a shot at winning given there will likely be fewer possessions based on how VA plays.

As down as Virginia may be, they are an upperclassmen-laden squad. They only roll 7 deep, so if we can attack the hoop and get some guys in foul trouble that could be huge. I’ve got 75-70 Iowa

Yep. On Nov 15 we were discussing our schedule (including Virginia) in another thread. That is when I wrote this:

I think we will match up well with Virginia. They will try to slow the game down & Iowa will want to get up and down the court and score.

Last time I checked: Virginia does not have a lot of size and they don't play a ton of people.

Starters:

6'11 Soph Forward Kadin Shedrick
6'6 Senior Forward Jayden Gardner
6'2 Soph Guard Reece Beekman
6'4 Junior Guard Armaan Franklin
5'10 Senior Guard Kihei Clark

Their 2 Bench Players:

7'1 Junior Center Francisco Caffaro
6'8 Senior Guard Kody Stattmann

Link to that thread: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...-rating-is-355-out-of-358-teams.374411/page-2

67 is the most Virginia has given up this year

85 is the fewest points Iowa has scored this year

Whichever team can dictate the pace will be one of the keys to the game.

Reactions: perryhawk
I think there will be multiple possessions where Virginia locks down Iowa's offense for the majority of the shot clock. Keegan is going to have to create late in the shot clock on a lot of those possessions, I'd imagine. It'll be interesting to see how they try to defend him based on their roster.

I think there will be multiple possessions where Virginia locks down Iowa's offense for the majority of the shot clock. Keegan is going to have to create late in the shot clock on a lot of those possessions, I'd imagine. It'll be interesting to see how they try to defend him based on their roster.
I don’t know if Keegan is good enough, yet, but if they can’t stop him he could dismantle their defense as they try to help on him and get themselves in foul trouble…..at least I hope it works that way!

In their last game vs Lehigh (1-5), it was a 4 point game at half (25-21).

Virginia pulled away in the 2nd half and won 61-43.

They committed only 8 fouls!!!

They started the same 5.

Starters:

6'11 Soph Forward Kadin Shedrick
6'6 Senior Forward Jayden Gardner
6'2 Soph Guard Reece Beekman
6'4 Junior Guard Armaan Franklin
5'10 Senior Guard Kihei Clark

Their 4 Bench Players with 10 or more minutes:

7'1 Junior Center Francisco Caffaro (20 Minutes)
6'8 Senior Guard Kody Stattmann (10 minutes)
6'10 Freshman Guard Igor Milicis (13 minutes)
6'2 Soph Guard Malachi Poindexter (11 minutes)

Hawkeyes 73
Cavaliers 64

Keegan gets 16 and our bench outscores theirs 40-4. Go Hawks!
I'll be surprised if Keegan is held under 20. Maybe I'm delusional. Well see shortly. He will be the go-to tonight and all season. He'll play 35+ minutes in any competitive game.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
Anxious to see the Hawks against good competition. Win or lose.

Better if they win. ;)

I think you make a great point. Good Iowa moves the ball, makes the defense work and finds good shots. Not so good Iowa forces things with 1:1 drives into traffic resulting in turnovers/charges. Have to win the TO battle to have a shot at winning given there will likely be fewer possessions based on how VA plays.

Speaking of possessions, check this out:

51 shots Lehigh got up vs Virginia on Nov 26

66 shots Iowa got up vs Portland State on Nov 26

Just realized this their 1st road game lol
Any night the shots don't fall could get ugly :).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT