ADVERTISEMENT

*****W Virginia vs Iowa (W) Game Thread*****

That was a tough game and probably the book on how to play the Hawks. WVU was up and all over the Hawks, daring the refs to call fouls. I give the women credit. They took a punch, shook it off and closed out the game. That was a good game for Iowa in this tournament because they’ll see more of it. Scary at times, but they earned their stripes.

Last edited:
Defensively the plan was pretty good. Offensively it left a lot to be desired. Didn't really know how to attack their defense. Just like the men, they need another athletic guard to create.
Well they scouted us too and had the players to execute defensively. We were in positions to make plays, which is the coach’s job but Lisa can’t shoot layups and open threes for them. WV got us rushed and it’s up to the girls to “accept the pressure”, slow down mentally and let their brains work. They struggled with that tonight.

The refs rigged it for Iowa whine fest has begun. Even Damian Lillard is on it.
when you're whole scheme is to get your hands in there to disrupt, you're gonna get sloppy when you get tired. when you get sloppy the fouls start getting called. Both teams got away with some, but WV was straight up hacking and running into players down the final stretch.

8kikyb.jpg
And @millah_22 buries the logo three with this one…

It's a style of play and it's how you play teams that are more athletic and/or skilled than you. Pull them down in the mud with you and hope you can scrounge up enough points to win. Wisconsin men have been doing it for decades.
And Bo has gotten further in the post-season than FM. Same w/ Knight, Keady, Izzo/Jud, Illinois, Minny of old, OSU. Superior guard play and defense at this level. Even ISU has it figured out.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Well they scouted us too and had the players to execute defensively. We were in positions to make plays, which is the coach’s job but Lisa can’t shoot layups and open threes for them. WV got us rushed and it’s up to the girls to “accept the pressure”, slow down mentally and let their brains work. They struggled with that tonight.

Yes, every close game or loss isn’t on the coach. CC had 3 assists. And let me tell you something it should’ve been 10 we missed 7, 8 maybe 10 wide, open three-pointers, and countless layups off her passes….

But I’m not gonna blame them because that’s the same team that absolutely kicked the shit out of West Virginia on defense and rebounding… This was a good game. I’m pleased!! Sometimes you have to find different ways to win and we did that.

They shot 34% from the field and had 35 rebounds to our 42.

Guys, we had seven assists, seven that’s it… Give them credit they took us out of our offensive formula. We really did not play well at all and we won by 10.

That’s a big damn deal !!!

My only critical comment of her coaching is that she is consistently unable to draw up a play to get an open look when they really need it. That issue showed up again tonight.

when you're whole scheme is to get your hands in there to disrupt, you're gonna get sloppy when you get tired. when you get sloppy the fouls start getting called. Both teams got away with some, but WV was straight up hacking and running into players down the final stretch.
Yes, they were more tired than us. It was a battle of attrition forced on the game by West Virginia and we were the more composed more conditioned team.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Although.... We've beat the last two teams to deploy this tactic. Would like to see a little more improvement than we saw today.

But we won the damn B1G championship and got to the sweet 16 against 2 teams playing that kind of BS basketball
True that! I like to be able to return the favor and dish a little of my own when teams play that way.

My only critical comment of her coaching is that she is consistently unable to draw up a play to get an open look when they really need it. That issue showed up again tonight.

I’m honestly not sure I can agree with that. I mean we won by 10, in a game where every point was contested and important.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Its prettty simple to me.. when the supporting cast hits threes, we are nearly impossible to beat. When they aren't, we have frustrating games like this. Usually they don't roll to the following game, so i expect them to come out blazing against Colorado

If I didn't watch the game and just looked at free throws, I'd be suspicious too.
Anyone who watched the game would know West Virginia was playing like a football game. Their entire team should have fouled out

Agreed based upon box score... Iowa ranks 53rd in PFPG vs WVU at 207th. That stat is for those complaining on Twitter... 🤣

I agree, but Iowa as a whole, lacks quickness to run their offense against quicker teams.
WVU did a really good job of contesting the first transition pass from the inbounds/rebound which really slowed down the fastbreak offense, which is our bread and butter. Agree that when we're forced to go to a slow down half court offense that we really miss molly

I agree, but Iowa as a whole, lacks quickness to run their offense against quicker teams.

Wow… 100% can’t agree with this. In fact, my son, and I remarked that quite frankly, they weren’t particularly quicker than us.

And for all intents and purposes, they should’ve been. They had a 56 guard, a 58 guard, a 59 guard and two others under 6 foot.

I can assure you we didn’t get out athleted in that game or we wouldn’t have won.

WVU did a really good job of contesting the first transition pass from the inbounds/rebound which really slowed down the fastbreak offense, which is our bread and butter. Agree that when we're forced to go to a slow down half court offense that we really miss molly

Noticed this early on. Run to deny Caitlin immediately after a miss/make. Keeping the ball out of her hand is always a good idea and it prevents the run out. Probably magnified by Molly being out...

Yes, every close game or loss isn’t on the coach. CC had 3 assists. And let me tell you something it should’ve been 10 we missed 7, 8 maybe 10 wide, open three-pointers, and countless layups off her passes….

But I’m not gonna blame them because that’s the same team that absolutely kicked the shit out of West Virginia on defense and rebounding… This was a good game. I’m pleased!! Sometimes you have to find different ways to win and we did that.

They shot 34% from the field and had 35 rebounds to our 42.

Guys, we had seven assists, seven that’s it… Give them credit they took us out of our offensive formula. We really did not play well at all and we won by 10.

That’s a big damn deal !!!
This is why I’m defending Lisa and staff.

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT