ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned at NCAAs this weekend

Sounds like a way to try to keep the big money willing to donate. Trying to shift the perception after NCAAs. DT has M2 and a business with his wife along with multiple other ventures in State College. He’s not going anywhere and it will probably blow up in Iowa’s face as they will alienate some of the Iowa fan base who loved The Brands. Sort of the same way the Ferrari and in a lesser way Downey fiascos blew up. There is no short cut. If this gets out it will divide the fan base. You can act happy in here but it’s not happening.
Your concern is touching.

100% true on this. The Brands's act has worn thin. I know of a few high caliber guys on the team that will spend some time training during the off season outside of Iowa City.
Re: this - I don't see how that even happens. I have a couple funny stories of guys going back home for xmas and asking to train at the local RTC. Brands is absolutely unequivocal in not training with other programs.

One thing that is a stark difference with Brands and Carl - Brands actually take a lot of time off. Which is needed because of the high intensity of practices.

Carl values steady commitment that is year round and consistent. And generally, "mandatory" practices are M, Tu, Th, Fr - and he highly encourages guys to teach clinics on the weekend. It's a pretty nefarious way of keeping them on the mat 5-7 days a week. lol.

If this all goes down, DT would be very wise to bring Spencer on as a coach whenever he's done competing, and even earlier for recruiting if possible. He is the face of Iowa success in recent years, and would be a huge asset in selling the program for recruits (not that an Olympic gold medalist, possibly multiple Olympic gold medalist by that time, couldn't sell the program to recruits, but Spencer is clearly a huge asset in that regard as well).
IF…and I mean IF this were to happen, I would bet money that it would happen something like this:

DT goes straight to the HC. Since he has no experience, his top assistant would be somebody very seasoned with experience running a program. Somebody in the last couple years of their career, or maybe even somebody coming out of retirement.

This experienced top assistant would stick around for just a few years to help DT learn the ropes, and then he would retire to make room for Spencer Lee.

Any coaching changes will result in a probable rough transition.

Roster changes, recruiting philosophy, connections to high school coaches/wrestling clubs, and the like.

But there's usually an infusion of energy from fans, as well.

Nothing lasts forever and while the vast, vast majority of fans appreciate what TnT have meant to Iowa over the years...sometimes change is necessary.

Last edited:
IF…and I mean IF this were to happen, I would bet money that it would happen something like this:

DT goes straight to the HC. Since he has no experience, his top assistant would be somebody very seasoned with experience running a program. Somebody in the last couple years of their career, or maybe even somebody coming out of retirement.

This experienced top assistant would stick around for just a few years to help DT learn the ropes, and then he would retire to make room for Spencer Lee.
This talk about him needing an experienced coach to hold his hand is so overblown.

I am not worried about David Taylor handing the admin duties. The bar isn't exactly high here. He submits all 10 entries to Big Tens on time and he's gold.

His top assistant would likely be his brother in law Jimmy Kennedy.

Some combination of Dake, Gilman, Zain/Nolf would come. And he'd likely get some guys from the RTC.

Any coaching changes will result in a probable rough transition.

Roster changes, recruiting philosophy, connections to high school coaches/wrestling clubs, and the like.

But there's usually an infusion of energy from fans, as well.

Nothing lasts forever and while the vast, vast majority of fans appreciate what TnThave meant to Iowa over the years...sometimes change is necessary.
I think this only a problem up until the moment it happens. There will be some who grumble and then 5 minutes later go "holy sh*t we got David Taylor." Excitement would be through the roof pretty quickly.

This program is bigger than Tom Brands.

The return of Dan Gable

If, and it's a BIG if, DT would be the next head coach you completely sever the ties with the Brands. Let DT go through some on the job training and figure things out on his own. He's more than capable of doing this. The upside is WAY too good not to take your chances with him at the helm. One thing that would be a guarantee is the massive upgrade in talent that he'd bring with him and recruit to Iowa City.

yeah there are some good points that have been made so it might not make sense.

in my mind i feel like it would work if tom is on board about and a team player because it’s good for the program but maybe that’s a pipe dream.

Some combination of Dake, Gilman, Zain/Nolf would come. And he'd likely get some guys from the RTC.
Great what’s the scenario needed to just get them all. DT and all his high level, big named friends to come. The facilities are here, only thing is SL has got to be kept at all costs too. Hwc needs some new faces. I’ll sell a kidney if it’ll help get the ball rolling.

allt4.jpg

Sounds like a way to try to keep the big money willing to donate. Trying to shift the perception after NCAAs. DT has M2 and a business with his wife along with multiple other ventures in State College. He’s not going anywhere and it will probably blow up in Iowa’s face as they will alienate some of the Iowa fan base who loved The Brands. Sort of the same way the Ferrari and in a lesser way Downey fiascos blew up. There is no short cut. If this gets out it will divide the fan base. You can act happy in here but it’s not happening.
There's other fish in the sea besides DT and his Nitwit crew. We should be casting a bigger/better net.

If you are going to mention it than say who it is or don’t mention at all
Come on man. you know good and dang well he couldn't give those names out.

And while I understand the frustration, theres no way this happens - Tom is paying for their scholly/NIL. And these guys need to get better at wrestling. No way do they do that somewhere else.

Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub
To believe this, it would mean you would have to believe Beth is openly discussing personnel matters with the general public. Do people really believe this is the case? So our AD is openly discussing personnel matters, and already has conducted off-season reviews, prior to the end of the season? Sounds to me like typical national tournament rumor and inuendo.
Maybe she’ll drop into the Cesspool and do a Facebook Live

Not sure there is a bigger or better net. (And I’m not really a fan of DT.) But I’m guessing we would be battling for top spot on the podium if hired rather than scrapping for second place.
Don't be certain about that. Lots of great wrestlers try to coach, but few succeed at the highest levels, and if they do, it doesn't last very long. Expecting another Carl or Gable is like expecting to win the lottery. Maybe a better chance, but . . .

Carl values steady commitment that is year round and consistent. And generally, "mandatory" practices are M, Tu, Th, Fr - and he highly encourages guys to teach clinics on the weekend. It's a pretty nefarious way of keeping them on the mat 5-7 days a week. lol.
Honestly, that's marketing/recruiting genius. Getting studs into local clinics helps keep the PSU name front and center. What middleweight kid in PA isn't dreaming about being the next Mesenbrink and then rolling around with him some Saturday?

Your concern is touching.
In another thread months ago when this board was all excited about the Ferraris I made a similar comment and many people like you made comments that PSU was afraid. It’s hilarious that your board thinks circuses are good for your program. This is a PR leak nothing more and again all of you are falling for it. David and His wife just bought a new house/farm. His wife’s parents just bought a house in State College . They have multiple businesses in State college. He trains with the best partners in State College. He has M2 in State College. He can finish his career and then if he chooses to coach he can learn under Cael. Iowa just had another disaster at NCAAs on top of the gambling on top of the Ferraris. This is called Intentionally leaking PR to stop the hemorrhaging. I got some beach front property in Iowa to sell you also. But you got it all figured out.

Reactions: hlstone
This talk about him needing an experienced coach to hold his hand is so overblown.

I am not worried about David Taylor handing the admin duties. The bar isn't exactly high here. He submits all 10 entries to Big Tens on time and he's gold.
Don't know if he ever finished it but DT was going for a Masters in Education Administration. Sounds like something a college Dean would have.

In another thread months ago when this board was all excited about the Ferraris I made a similar comment and many people like you made comments that PSU was afraid. It’s hilarious that your board thinks circuses are good for your program. This is a PR leak nothing more and again all of you are falling for it. David and His wife just bought a new house/farm. His wife’s parents just bought a house in State College . They have multiple businesses in State college. He trains with the best partners in State College. He has M2 in State College. He can finish his career and then if he chooses to coach he can learn under Cael. Iowa just had another disaster at NCAAs on top of the gambling on top of the Ferraris. This is called Intentionally leaking PR to stop the hemorrhaging. I got some beach front property in Iowa to sell you also. But you got it all figured out.

It would take a lot to pry David from state college. But Iowa is willing to give it. It will be a case of does DT value his loyalty to Carl more or does he want to venture out on this great challenge?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT