ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned at NCAAs this weekend

I also respect your input and your passion. By wrestling in that room, I think you have earned your opinions much more than many "entitled" fans that simply want what they want. I do not disagree one bit with you wanting and even expecting Iowa to be the best. I just simply disagree that there is someone out there right now that has a better chance at doing it than the Brands x2....
This is how a respectful disagreement between two adults should be handled.

Quit putting PSU on a pedestal. Quit conceding.
I agree with the spirit of your post. I do think PSU is on a pedestal, and they're anchored pretty heavily upon it. It will take people obsessed with not conceding to knock them off of it. I believe TnT have the obsession, but the facts demonstrate that don't have the proper methods and procedures.

Reactions: wahlberg
Iowa has become what Oklahoma State has been to us since the 1980s. A bunch of people living on the memories of what we were 30 years ago. And we're quickly becoming the 2004-2006 Hawkeye teams that were in a rapid downhill slide because our coach wouldn't listen, and wanted to do it his way. I love Tom Brands, and I still don't think we're going to find a better coach from the group that's currently available, who is willing to come here. An assistant who could bring a fresh way of seeing things is not an option if Tom won't listen to them. I want to see us improve, but I don't know how that is going to happen. Bringing in a kid's club coach with no Div 1 experience is a gamble. Especially one that many people here loved to hate when he was in college, competing for a rival. The rival that is now crushing us and everyone else. I don't have answers, but I wish someone did. I hate seeing us look as pitiful to PSU fans as the old-time Okie State fans did to us for so long. At least we haven't fallen as far under Brands as they have under Smith (yet). Look how much they've given up. In the 1980s they fired a really good coach for getting 2nd multiple times. Now they have a guy that has finished out of the Top 10 multiple times and he's still hanging around. I hope that is never us.
To be fair, kids like Levi Haines and Tyler Kasak are forgoing their senior years and training with DT. And then placing high at nationals as true freshman, so it’s a bit more than just some kids coach. But agree the risk is what it is. On the other hand, Iowa grabbing DT has me very worried as a PSU fan.

Some level of realism is necessary as well. PSU just broke the scoring record and they have won 11 of the last 13 NCAA Tournaments. They have EARNED being put on a pedestal. That doesn't mean anyone is conceding. It is just simple REALITY that PSU is currently in a basically uncatchable position on a year-in year-out basis.

Just because some of us are still supporting Brands doesn't mean we do not expect more. We are just not nearly as eager to blow everything up based on 3 parts dislike and 1 part hope......

Make no mistake, DT may very well prove to be great. He may get Iowa closer to PSU than anyone currently could. But, the truth is the reverse is also VERY MUCH a possibility. There is NO guarantee he would be the recruiter everyone believes he will be. There is no guarantee he would be any better than Brands. He has ZERO proof he can do ANY of it. I just can't wrap my head around throwing that kind of money at an unproven, no matter how big his name is.......

Everyone can say we are Iowa we would never become what Indiana basketball or Nebraska football did, but that is EXACTLY what Indiana and Nebraska said before it happened. If I am going to fire someone as successful as Brands has been, I would want to KNOW the new hire has the experience and abilities necessary to almost certainly and considerably improve production. This is especially true when the new hire doesn't literally bleed the school colors like the current coaches do...
A few months ago I would've 100% agreed with you, but I can't anymore.

TNT are now 55, realistically they only have a handful of years left anyways. They're both in phenomenal shape (for their age), but they've also both been open about this getting harder on their bodies. They can only keep this up for so long. Eventually, time is going to catch up. Eventually, they'll want to retire. That eventuality is much sooner rather than later and that's a fact.

Whoever comes in after TNT will face failure. Whoever comes in after Cael will face failure. That's a roll of the dice for wheoever takes over after a successful (and iconic) coach. That is also a fact.

Likewise, the big name candidates that are around right now will be the same names in 4 or 5 years... except they may l not be available because someone else beat Iowa to the punch. That's also a big risk and Goetz has to be considering it.

So, if you have the most popular wrestler in the world showing even the slightest bit of interest, you have to entertain it even if it causes turbulence.
Do you bring in someone like DT or Dake a couple years sooner than planned and have them go through growing pains or risk never having them at all?

You speak of no guarantees and a lot of what ifs, but the only guarantee we have right now is that whatever TNT are doing isn't working. Something has to change and the program can't wait 4 or 5 more years to do it.

Most important tidbit here. Excellent, excellent news. Even if it doesn't result in a HC change, I really think Tom needs the oversight and pushback. Too many yes-men around him for too long. He needs to be challenged.
Everyone around him is an Iowa clone; we've needed new perspectives for years so what do we do? Bring in more Iowa guys. I'm not opposed to Iowa guys if their names are Spencer Lee or Michael Kemerer, etc. We need young, energetic, offense-minded kids on the coaching staff who can bring in like-minded recruits. I hate the way we wrestle right now. So proud of Drake for making the finals...so proud! And at the same time I wanted to puke watching him wrestle Fig in the finals. He's the much better wrestler yet wrestled Fig's style (wait for that one opportunity and hope for the best) and got beat. We need offense...lots of it!!

Reactions: Mendoza77 and eb05
Cael Sanderson Quote: “Unless you continually work, evolve, and innovate, you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has.”

I don’t think anyone is tougher or works harder than TnT. Do they continually evolve and innovate? I don’t think so.
Simply asking. Didn't someone ITT say they take a lot of vacation?

TNT are now 55, realistically they only have a handful of years left anyways. They're both in phenomenal shape (for their age), but they've also both been open about this getting harder on their bodies. They can only keep this up for so long. Eventually, time is going to catch up. Eventually, they'll want to retire. That eventuality is much sooner rather than later and that's a fact.

Whoever comes in after TNT will face failure. Whoever comes in after Cael will face failure. That's a roll of the dice for wheoever takes over after a successful (and iconic) coach. That is also a fact.

Likewise, the big name candidates that are around right now will be the same names in 4 or 5 years... except they may l not be available because someone else beat Iowa to the punch. That's also a big risk and Goetz has to be considering it.

So, if you have the most popular wrestler in the world showing even the slightest bit of interest, you have to entertain it even if it causes turbulence.
Do you bring in someone like DT or Dake a couple years sooner than planned and have them go through growing pains or risk never having them at all?

You speak of no guarantees and a lot of what ifs, but the only guarantee we have right now is that whatever TNT are doing isn't working. Something has to change and the program can't wait 4 or 5 more years to do it.
I mostly agree with everything you are saying. I just don't think there will be a huge dropoff if you bring a big name in. Maybe a little bump during the learning curve. Iowa is still having success. Not nearly as the level they would like, but something. I believe the guys on that team are there because the program still carries weight. I obviously don't know, but I would be willing to bet they went there for the black and gold singlet, and not for TNT. I think the coaches are passionate, but they coach a certain style. I have seen enough wrestling to know that blue chip recruits don't want to wrestle that way. Social media posts are about high powered offensive wrestling. I've never seen a kid post clips of his hard hand fighting, and solid positioning.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that most kids are fundamentally sound now. They aren't going to all of a sudden forget how to do that. It's always said that just about anyone could have the results Cael does with that talent. I would argue that a lot of coaches would have similar results to Brands with his lineup. Just perhaps some new blood would draw in some different talent.

I'll be impressed when I start seeing action. Last I saw Fran was still coaching BB and Kirk Ferentz, who I loved before nepotism and zero offense became OK is still coaching FB. I want actions, not words.
BTW, this is not to say I want Tom Brands fired...not at all. I'm just saying that our BB and FB programs really have become very average...should see action there really quick IMO.

Some level of realism is necessary as well. PSU just broke the scoring record and they have won 11 of the last 13 NCAA Tournaments. They have EARNED being put on a pedestal. That doesn't mean anyone is conceding. It is just simple REALITY that PSU is currently in a basically uncatchable position on a year-in year-out basis.

Just because some of us are still supporting Brands doesn't mean we do not expect more. We are just not nearly as eager to blow everything up based on 3 parts dislike and 1 part hope......

Make no mistake, DT may very well prove to be great. He may get Iowa closer to PSU than anyone currently could. But, the truth is the reverse is also VERY MUCH a possibility. There is NO guarantee he would be the recruiter everyone believes he will be. There is no guarantee he would be any better than Brands. He has ZERO proof he can do ANY of it. I just can't wrap my head around throwing that kind of money at an unproven, no matter how big his name is.......

Everyone can say we are Iowa we would never become what Indiana basketball or Nebraska football did, but that is EXACTLY what Indiana and Nebraska said before it happened. If I am going to fire someone as successful as Brands has been, I would want to KNOW the new hire has the experience and abilities necessary to almost certainly and considerably improve production. This is especially true when the new hire doesn't literally bleed the school colors like the current coaches do...
I agree about your PSU's current assessment. T&T, or Iowa wrestling program for that matter, will never concede. However, the reality is that our fan base is not happy even if we are consistently second or third in the nation (we were just a few points behind Michigan, Cornell and ISU this year- and if only Glazier wins match or two, not to mention close losses for Kennedy, Teske etc. puts us in the second place - even without suspended wrestlers).
Iowa is not unique in this sense, some other big wrestling programs are struggling to "catch up" with PSU as well. Look what happened to Minnesota, Nebraska and even Ohio State and Oklahoma State over the last few years. Yes, something needs to change; recruiting, pre-conference schedule, practice regimen, post season approach and possibly personnel change. But whatever happens, looking objectively at it, it will take us several years to just come close to them again - let alone knock them down from the pedestal.

My comment was more about how the main effect would be to suck a handful of top contenders from other teams, driving down the scores of the #3-8 teams.
Remember the old Clint Eastwood movie, Two Mules for Sister Sara, "To hell with them there fellas." Frankly I don't care about the other guys; I care about Iowa. And trust me, Cael doesn't either. He loved doubling up everyone at NCAAs and didn't give a rat's ass about what happened with the scores of the #3-8 teams."

There are not multiple billionaires donating to PSU wrestling. That’s crazy and the so called Billionaire does not donate to the football team or wrestling. It’s Terry Pegula and he built the ice hockey arenas. These rumors get bigger every year. Anything for an excuse.
Huh??

It's this sort of liquid wealth that allowed Lubert to help bankroll the $500,000 salary and $1 million bonus that lured wrestling legend Cael Sanderson from his alma mater Iowa State to become PSU's wrestling coach in 2009.

Last edited:
I agree about your PSU's current assessment. T&T, or Iowa wrestling program for that matter, will never concede. However, the reality is that our fan base is not happy even if we are consistently second or third in the nation (we were just a few points behind Michigan, Cornell and ISU this year- and if only Glazier wins match or two, not to mention close losses for Kennedy, Teske etc. puts us in the second place - even without suspended wrestlers).
Iowa is not unique in this sense, some other big wrestling programs are struggling to "catch up" with PSU as well. Look what happened to Minnesota, Nebraska and even Ohio State and Oklahoma State over the last few years. Yes, something needs to change; recruiting, pre-conference schedule, practice regimen, post season approach and possibly personnel change. But whatever happens, looking objectively at it, it will take us several years to just come close to them again - let alone knock them down from the pedestal.
I don't know about several years just to come close if certain personalities decide to move to Iowa City and take over the program. I'm not saying that's what I want to happen, but big names would surely bring in big talent. We might not win in a year or two, but the gap would definitely close...and I don't think we would miss a step with TnT faithfuls leaving the program, not with the access to talent that we can get from the portal. A shake up and a big name young coach could sure make it interesting. In the end we need talent or we won't come close.

It's this sort of liquid wealth that allowed Lubert to help bankroll the $500,000 salary and $1 million bonus that lured wrestling legend Cael Sanderson from his alma mater Iowa State to become PSU's wrestling coach in 2009.

That's the best $1.5m PSU ever spent!!

Huh??

Ira is not a billionaire. Nor is their multiple ones.

I wish I could write a post as full of wisdom as what you just did. You seem like someone who has seen a couple sunrises or three.

Remember the old Clint Eastwood movie, Two Mules for Sister Sara, "To hell with them there fellas." Frankly I don't care about the other guys; I care about Iowa. And trust me, Cael doesn't either. He loved doubling up everyone at NCAAs and didn't give a rat's ass about what happened with the scores of the #3-8 teams."
Just like Dan Gable. Two lions who HATE losing. Both are innovators in their eras. Both take no prisoners.

I think the next 5-10 years will be a great time in the sport with all of these olympics wrestlers coming onto the coaching scene. It's been a lot of years since we've had this kind of potential talent come into the coaching ranks.

Last edited:
That's the best $1.5m PSU ever spent!!
People tell me that DT isn't worth $1M per year because he is untested, yet Cael got essentially $1.5M and he was largely untested as well. Yes Cael had 3 years of coaching but DT has 3 years of club coaching/ownership. As Fist Full of Hawkeyes said, you can't wait around for good things to happen or you risk not having anyone good being around when you are ready. Paraphrasing there.

I mostly agree with everything you are saying. I just don't think there will be a huge dropoff if you bring a big name in. Maybe a little bump during the learning curve. Iowa is still having success. Not nearly as the level they would like, but something. I believe the guys on that team are there because the program still carries weight. I obviously don't know, but I would be willing to bet they went there for the black and gold singlet, and not for TNT. I think the coaches are passionate, but they coach a certain style. I have seen enough wrestling to know that blue chip recruits don't want to wrestle that way. Social media posts are about high powered offensive wrestling. I've never seen a kid post clips of his hard hand fighting, and solid positioning.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that most kids are fundamentally sound now. They aren't going to all of a sudden forget how to do that. It's always said that just about anyone could have the results Cael does with that talent. I would argue that a lot of coaches would have similar results to Brands with his lineup. Just perhaps some new blood would draw in some different talent.
Not sure if you meant to respond to me or not, but I didn't mention anything about a drop off.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you just said too.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Not sure if you meant to respond to me or not, but I didn't mention anything about a drop off.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you just said too.
Sorry. Didn't word that the best. I agreed with what you were saying. I just don't necessarily think whoever follows will face failure. I'm never the best at getting things out. I know there are concerns with a change, but I don't think there would be much of downturn. I think the program has been steady in spite of the coaching. Maybe not progressing , but steady. I think it has enough support to withstand a change. Im good with either overhauling the coaching staff, or the current coaching staff overhauling their methods.

I've never been to Carver. It's on my bucket list. I want to scream stalling with everyone else. I would just rather yell after a guy takes his 10th shot, and not from his 5th minute of pushing. Too cool of an atmosphere to not have crazy scoring.

I don't think DT is very high on Gilamn anyway. I have heard he doesn't make friends well (gilman)
This is now just being realized? I'm a casual Iowa wrestling fan, every time I saw a Gilman interview... he always gave me creepy/weird vibes. I get people are competitive but he struck me more as someone who needed to be diagnosed with something and probably not very pleasant to be around.

Cael Sanderson Quote: “Unless you continually work, evolve, and innovate, you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has.”

I don’t think anyone is tougher or works harder than TnT. Do they continually evolve and innovate? I don’t think so.
Idk. Depending on what you believe regarding the big ten 133 seeding fiasco this year, that could be considered innovative.

You still sticking to your claim he’s never donated money to the football or wrestling team?
I never said he didn’t donate. People on here said there were multiple billionaires that donated . Everyone knows about Ira. People said there were others besides Ira.

Sorry. Didn't word that the best. I agreed with what you were saying. I just don't necessarily think whoever follows will face failure. I'm never the best at getting things out. I know there are concerns with a change, but I don't think there would be much of downturn. I think the program has been steady in spite of the coaching. Maybe not progressing , but steady. I think it has enough support to withstand a change. Im good with either overhauling the coaching staff, or the current coaching staff overhauling their methods.

I've never been to Carver. It's on my bucket list. I want to scream stalling with everyone else. I would just rather yell after a guy takes his 10th shot, and not from his 5th minute of pushing. Too cool of an atmosphere to not have crazy scoring.
I should clarify by facing failure I mean that anybody that comes in after any coach may crush it or shit the mat regardless of it being who the AD wants or not. Likewise, we may strike out with Taylor and end up with someone that's not even on our radar that ends up being tremendous. Who knows.

Point is, the risk is always there, but we can no longer be so afraid of regression that it scares us away from trying to get better. It should definitely be a calculated risk, but it's still a risk nonetheless.

And lastly, you must find your way to CHA someday soon. It's an amazing experience and a fun city. Make a weekend of it and enjoy all the sites.

Very well said…be careful what you wish for.

Iowa has a more strict compliance department and this will come into play WHEN a search starts for Tom’s successor.
I’ve never understood why the University of Iowa won’t let the HWC promote at Carver.
Tom realizes the importance of the HWC, It would seem he isn’t allowed to promote HWC on campus.
PSU doesn’t get in the way of the NLWC promoting its self on campus, they encourage it.
This is a small part of the whole, however, its importance shouldn’t be minimized. This was an instrumental piece for PSU building the wrestling program they have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT