ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Purdue Game Thread*****

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
6pm ESPN2
Purdue -8.5

Hawks are in a tough spot with Purdue coming off a loss, although for a 22-2 record they don't really scare me as much as they should.
Purdue doesn't often blow out teams and I expect a close game tonight. That being said I'm seeing a 75-71 Purdue victory, should be a great game though.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Need to turn them over and not turn it over ourselves. Take the ball to the big guy and try to get him into foul trouble. Rebounds will be at a premium but we need to hold our own. Tough row to hoe but a win would sure look good.

PREVIEW:

WHO: #1 Purdue Boilermakers (22-2, 11-2 Big Ten)
WHEN: 6:01 PM CT
WHERE: Mackey Arena (West Lafayette, IN)
TV: ESPN2 (Rece Davis and Seth Greenberg)
RADIO: Hawkeye Radio Network (Gary Dolphin and Bobby Hansen) | XM 380 or SXM 970
MOBILE: www.espn.com/watch
ONLINE: www.espn.com/app
FOLLOW: @IowaAwesome | @IowaHoops | @IowaonBTN
LINE: Purdue -8
KENPOM: Purdue -9 (81% chance of winning)

PROJECTED STARTING FIVE​

Iowa
G Tony Perkins (11.6 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.3 spg, 0.4 bpg, 41.4 FG%, 31.1 3FG%)
G Ahron Ulis (6.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.1 bpg, 41.0 FG%, 32.7 3FG%)
F Connor McCaffery (7.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.3 spg, 0.0 bpg, 42.6 FG%, 36.6 3FG%)
F Kris Murray (20.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 1.8 apg, 0.8 spg, 1.2 bpg, 50.2 FG%, 35.0 3FG%)
F Filip Rebraca (13.9 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 2.1 apg, 0.6 spg, 1.3 bpg, 56.7 FG%, 40.0 3FG%)

Illinois
G Braden Smith (9.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.2 bpg, 43.8 FG%, 39.4 3FG%)
G Fletcher Loyer (12.4 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 2.5 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.1 bpg, 38.7 FG%, 35.3 3FG%)
F Ethan Morton (4.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.7 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.6 bpg, 31.9 FG%, 27.0 3FG%)
F Mason Gillis (6.5 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.1 bpg, 45.9 FG%, 39.7 3FG%)
C Zach Edey (22.4 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.3 spg, 2.2 bpg, 62.7% FG, 0.0%)

PREVIEW​

At the same time the Iowa women's basketball is taking on a highly-ranked Indiana team in a rematch of last year's Big Ten Tournament final, the Iowa men will be playing in their own Big Ten Tournament final rematch -- against a highly-ranked Purdue team. "Highly-ranked" undersells Purdue too, to say the least -- they're #1 in the polls. There's no one ranked higher than the Boilermakers right now, and only one other team (Houston) is also receiving multiple first-place votes in the latest AP poll.

Iowa's history in games against #1-ranked teams is a mix of good and (mostly) bad results. The good? Iowa won its last game against a #1 team, knocking off Michigan State 83-70 on December 29, 2015. The bad? Iowa is 3-21 overall against #1-ranked teams -- and 0-9 in road games against top-ranked teams.

Purdue has been the Big Ten's most effective and most balanced team this season by a landslide. The Boilermakers rank 2nd nationally in offensive efficiency and 22nd nationally in defensive efficiency. They're outstanding on both ends of the court. In terms of points per game, Purdue is scoring 74.0 per game, 5th best in the Big Ten, while allowing just 61.1 per game, 2nd best in the Big Ten. That +13 scoring margin is the Big Ten's best.

The story of Purdue's dominance this season begins at an individual level, with Zach Edey, the colossal (7'4", 290 lbs) center who has taken his game to all-new heights this season.

Edey in 2021-22: 14.4 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.2 bpg, 64.8 FG%
Edey in 2022-23: 22.4 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 1.4 apg, 2.2 bpg, 62.7 FG%

He ranks 4th nationally in scoring, 2nd nationally in rebounding (just 0.1 behind the national leader in rebounds per game), and 21st nationally in blocks per game. He's maintained an excellent field goal percentage (62.7%, 14th best nationally) despite a significant increase in volume (he's attempting over five more shots per game than he did a season ago, and his 322 field goal attempts this year are significantly more than anyone else on the field percentage leaderboard). He's also getting to the free throw line more often (6.6 times per game this season versus 4.7 trips per game a year ago) and converting those chances at a higher rate (73.2% versus 64.9%).

Edey gets more opportunities this season without having to share any time with fellow big Trevion Williams (who left Purdue for the NBA Draft after last season), but he's also simply gotten better at every aspect of his game this season. He has, frankly, leveled up in a way that's a bit reminiscent of what Luka Garza did at Iowa in his final two seasons in Iowa City. He's turned himself into the runaway favorite for National Player of the Year honors.

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/preview-iowa-at-1-purdue

giphy.gif

Oh that's classy. DO you not think you guys haven't had ugly players that the Maryland team used to call out? Good grief there is a ton of BBALL ENVY these days.

Thems the facts. Iowa is historically known for their good looking players. Maybe Purdue should try it sometime

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop1971
things to watch are (among others):
  • Perkins. Will he be able to repeat his success eg getting into lane, fouls drawn, points above avg?
  • Ogundele. Will he play? Will he be effective when playing?
  • Sandfort. Will he show up on road?
  • Murray. God forbide he’s required to defend Eddy and picks up his 2nd foul doing so.
  • Fran. What 3 quarter zip fashion statement will be made?

We don't even cxo

I am a Purdue fan and get on the various boards to discuss things and I can assure you we ( Purdue fans) do not consider you guys a rival at all. Our rival is Indiana.
Indiana might be your rival, but Iowa is definitely your most hated rival. It was ordained as such by the powers that be years ago. Where have you been?

We don't consider you guys our biggest rival. It's more of an Iowa joke as Purdue has been a forced rivalry by the big. All the Hawkeye fans i know don't have an issue with Purdue at all. Fans are nice, teams are good but not dirty, boring, or sleazy. All in all most hawkeye fans respect Purdue. No real animosity. We just like to label it as our most hated rival.

Thems the facts. Iowa is historically known for their good looking players. Maybe Purdue should try it sometime
Jared Utoff, ?Adam Woodbury? Since you are pressing the issue. There is plenty more where that came from.
Indiana might be your rival, but Iowa is definitely your most hated rival. It was ordained as such by the powers that be years ago. Where have you been?
Well I'm 51 years old and been watching big ten basketball since I was 15, so this stood out to me when it was said. I guess the next poster clarified it a bit.

Jared Utoff, ?Adam Woodbury? Since you are pressing the issue. There is plenty more where that came from.

Well I'm 51 years old and been watching big ten basketball since I was 15, so this stood out to me when it was said. I guess the next poster clarified it a bit.
We don't really have animosity for Purdue. We try our best but it's difficult. Wiscy is a scum sucking disgusting basketball team. Purdue isn't. But you guys have been chosen by the big to be our most hated rival so we try. Not very well sometimes but at least there's a little effort. Painter is a dumb butt! See, my best effort. Good luck with the tourny. I'll be rooting for you guys unless we somehow play each other

Reactions: Hendy hawk
We don't even cxo

I am a Purdue fan and get on the various boards to discuss things and I can assure you we ( Purdue fans) do not consider you guys a rival at all. Our rival is Indiana.
It is tongue and cheek and I believe started sarcastically on the football board by a Purdue fan.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Calling it now - either Perkins or Murray (maybe even Patrick) will posterize Edey with a highlight dunk.

Or die trying.

Reactions: Franisdaman
We don't consider you guys our biggest rival. It's more of an Iowa joke as Purdue has been a forced rivalry by the big. All the Hawkeye fans i know don't have an issue with Purdue at all. Fans are nice, teams are good but not dirty, boring, or sleazy. All in all most hawkeye fans respect Purdue. No real animosity. We just like to label it as our most hated rival.
Old joke.

Back in the day, Iowa and Purdue were in different divisions. The B1G set up crossover games that would be on the schedule each year. I don't remember what they all were, but it was when OSU and MIch were in different divisions as well, and the B1G wanted them to play every year.

So, Iowa v Purdue was made a crossover "rivalry" game.

The Iowa fans here tried their best to brew up a rivalry. We all tried to "out hate" fellow Iowans and even Purdue fans. It was mostly a vain attempt, as both schools have several more hated rivals.

But, it was decreed by the B1G - Purdue is our most hated rival!

Hate.0.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop1971
Old joke.

Back in the day, Iowa and Purdue were in different divisions. The B1G set up crossover games that would be on the schedule each year. I don't remember what they all were, but it was when OSU and MIch were in different divisions as well, and the B1G wanted them to play every year.

The Iowa fans here tried their best to brew up a rivalry. We all tried to "out hate" fellow Iowans and even Purdue fans. It was mostly a vain attempt, as both schools have several more hated rivals.

Hate.0.jpg

Legends vs Leaders. Who in the hell came up with that.

Old joke.

Hate.0.jpg
I feel the hate now!

• Haha
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
6pm ESPN2
Purdue -8.5

Hawks are in a tough spot with Purdue coming off a loss, although for a 22-2 record they don't really scare me as much as they should.
Purdue doesn't often blow out teams and I expect a close game tonight. That being said I'm seeing a 75-71 Purdue victory, should be a great game though.
Fight hard, don't roll over, and I'm satisfied.

Its been mentioned before, but I'd rather the Hawks focus their D efforts on the perimeter and let Edey have his.

I am not expecting it, but a Hawkeye win would be Great. Mostly for that "signature win on their NCAAT resume", but also keeping pace for the 2-seed in the BTT would be pretty damn sweet too.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT