ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa (W) vs Maryland Game Thread*****

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
7:00pm BTN
Big game tonight as #6 Iowa travels to #7 Maryland. Both teams are 22-5 with the hawks one game better in league standings. Iowa beat the Terps at home 96-82 earlier this month.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I'm going!!! My son goes to UMD so we are meeting up with him. Never gone to a WBB game. Would not be going if it wasn't for the opportunity to see CC. I am expecting an exciting game.

Cheer loud for the Hawks. This would be a massive W and a shot to take the regular season conference title outright!

Also, an outside shot at a 1 seed... although that is really slim.

Cheer loud for the Hawks. This would be a massive W and a shot to take the regular season conference title outright!

Also, an outside shot at a 1 seed... although that is really slim.
The best they can do is tie for the conference. This is going to be by far their toughest game of the year. Maryland will play at a totally different level at home. Iowa better be able to match their level or this game could get ugly quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkhoops3
The best they can do is tie for the conference. This is going to be by far their toughest game of the year. Maryland will play at a totally different level at home. Iowa better be able to match their level or this game could get ugly quick.
Indiana has also clinched the #1 seed.

7:00pm BTN
Big game tonight as #6 Iowa travels to #7 Maryland. Both teams are 22-5 with the hawks one game better in league standings. Iowa beat the Terps at home 96-82 earlier this month.
It will all depend on how the game is called. In Iowa's win in Iowa City, six Maryland players ended up with four fouls. Only Monika had four for Iowa. If the referees allow Maryland's overtly physical defense, we don't have a chance. If a similar crew as here is assigned, I like Iowa's chances.

I am preparing myself for a loss just because Maryland is very good and at home. Not to mention Iowa has never beat MD on their court.

Reactions: oldhawk56
win both games and the BTT, not likely but would probably give us a shot at 1 seed, Especially if UCONN, LSU don’t win out their tournaments.

win both games and the BTT, not likely but would probably give us a shot at 1 seed, Especially if UCONN, LSU don’t win out their tournaments.
If we beat MD and IU (tall order) and UConn or Stanford lose to a random non-ranked team again (not so tall of an order) we will be a lock for a 1 seed.

Tonight comes down to 2 things for me: officiating and Czinano. If officials let all the little reaches and hand checks and physicality go, it will be a long game. Czinano has a definite advantage inside - has to stay out of tickytack foul trouble and adjust to the double team. I was critical of Frese for her gameplan last meeting, but she will be better this time around.

Would be great also to get away from some of the teams listed as 7 seeds right now - Creighton, Louisville, NC State (though NC State not playing well right now).

Tonight comes down to 2 things for me: officiating and Czinano. If officials let all the little reaches and hand checks and physicality go, it will be a long game. Czinano has a definite advantage inside - has to stay out of tickytack foul trouble and adjust to the double team. I was critical of Frese for her gameplan last meeting, but she will be better this time around.
Just want to add, that everyone is going to need to show up these last 2 games. Really from now on all the games are must win games and nobody dares take a night off or they are going to lose.

Reactions: DewHawk
Czinano has a definite advantage, but I expect Maryland to counter this by doubling and/or aggressively cheating off players to deny the entry/lob pass. If that happens, the onus is on Marshall/Warnock/Martin to make the defense pay. What we can't afford is a bunch of live ball turnovers trying to force passes that aren't there because Maryland will definitely make us pay with their quick transition offense.

Czinano has a definite advantage, but I expect Maryland to counter this by doubling and/or aggressively cheating off players to deny the entry/lob pass. If that happens, the onus is on Marshall/Warnock/Martin to make the defense pay. What we can't afford is a bunch of live ball turnovers trying to force passes that aren't there because Maryland will definitely make us pay with their quick transition offense.
I am predicting a breakout 3 point game from Gabbie 🙏

• Love
Reactions: undersized_post
Frese is the one big coach i have a true dislike towards. She gets players in the portal because her recruits figure out she is as selfish as a coach can get. I doubt she cares hardly at all about her players orher than what they can do for her. Nobody try and change my mind about her because it's already made up completely. I'll take the word of multiple former players about what kind of person she is over anything someone has to say in her defense. Go Hawkeyes! This one means even more to me than a regular game.

You doubt that she hardly cares for her players?

So you are of the opinion that she cares greatly for her players.

Noted.

I say "greatly" is a bit of a stretch. I think he's saying she cares more than "hardly."

Guessing you’ll be disappointed. Czinano will be getting hacked continuously and she won’t be allowed to do it on the defensive side. Same shit, different day.

As far as the NCAA tourney goes I think it comes down to one thing....stay out of the South Carolina bracket!

Again Iowa not attempting to get any offensive boards by sending everyone back on D after the shot. Hate that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT