ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned at NCAAs this weekend

As an Outsider looking in, you could easily hand over the program to DT and have a super experienced guy as an assistant and overpay him. Admin is important but David is already running a business. I'm not saying it's the exact same, but it's not like he's completely void of experience. He's also been in the game for three decades and even coached by the best. The best new coaches...and old...simply steal ideas feom others and change the things to better for them, their approach and the culture. I was never in the role above mine but would have been better than 75% on Day One because I worked for GREAT leaders in that role and above. Same applies here.

It's a Sales job and an Admin job. You can teach a monkey admin. You need his ability to sell. You can't compete against PSU unless you get the talent. Ferentz ain't beating Saban because he can't match his talent, regardless of how great a coach he is. Same here. TnT is stale and its only going to get worse. Your only sell for nearly a decade has been Spencer and you're now entering a generation of kids who have never seen Iowa do anything other than what Spencer Lee does. Just reality.

In another thread months ago when this board was all excited about the Ferraris I made a similar comment and many people like you made comments that PSU was afraid. It’s hilarious that your board thinks circuses are good for your program. This is a PR leak nothing more and again all of you are falling for it. David and His wife just bought a new house/farm. His wife’s parents just bought a house in State College . They have multiple businesses in State college. He trains with the best partners in State College. He has M2 in State College. He can finish his career and then if he chooses to coach he can learn under Cael. Iowa just had another disaster at NCAAs on top of the gambling on top of the Ferraris. This is called Intentionally leaking PR to stop the hemorrhaging. I got some beach front property in Iowa to sell you also. But you got it all figured out.

I actually lean in the same direction as you, in that this isn't realistic and maybe not even true, but most of the things you said aren't that big of a deal. Houses can be sold. Businesses? I think Cael still has at least 1 business in Ames. A club team? That can be moved or another location opened. Competing? He's 34. Those days are almost over.

Again, it all seems far fetched but not sure I completely agree with your reasoning.

I actually lean in the same direction as you, in that this isn't realistic and maybe not even true, but most of the things you said aren't that big of a deal. Houses can be sold. Businesses? I think Cael still has at least 1 business in Ames. A club team? That can be moved or another location opened. Competing? He's 34. Those days are almost over.

Again, it all seems far fetched but not sure I completely agree with your reasoning.
Cael business in Ames didn't end real well for his business partner.. Not Carls fault though

I would say before Kennedy or Gilman, I would rather see Cory Clark. Kid had a great attitude. Did things the right way on and off the mat and had great results to boot. I believe he runs a club of his own now also. Spencer Lee would be the obvious choice, but that doesn’t sound possible.

So let me get this straight, and see if I have it correct.

1 . Beth is telling people she wants David Taylor. She's told so many, its spread it's way around message boards and nationals.

2. Hiring David Taylor will change everything, because he will apply Penn State's approaching to conditioning, practicing, and preparation.

Q). So is David Taylor bringing along the Penn State boosters with him for the HWC? Curious to see how this solves the significant money gap. A). It doesn't.

Please stop the madness. This is all mental masterbation.

What do you mean by “get a hold of Terry”?
Well he's abrasive and verbally abusive and frequently acts like a lunatic.

Getting caught on a hot mic at SS calling Schwab a pussy was a bad look. But it was par for the course for the SS.

We put together what was supposed to be a showcase event and we may as well have held the event under a red and white striped tent.

Cael business in Ames didn't end real well for his business partner.. Not Carls fault though
I have no idea what happened but I do know business is business. It's a big, shitty world out there and if you ever enter into a partnership with someone, you best have everything in writing. If not, that's your problem. Never underestimate what someone will do to the benefit themselves and their family regardless of the impact it has on anyone else. Is it right? Probably not. Is it what happens the vast majority of the time? Yep.

1 . Beth is telling people she wants David Taylor. She's told so many, its spread it's way around message boards and nationals.

2. Hiring David Taylor will change everything, because he will apply Penn State's approaching to conditioning, practicing, and preparation.

Q). So is David Taylor bringing along the Penn State boosters with him for the HWC? Curious to see how this solves the significant money gap. A). It doesn't.

The #1 job of any organization is recruiting/talent acquisition. That's what Iowa needs.

We have more money.

Or a huge lesson in you should maybe believe that Kyven has connections.
That's correct. In the end all truth comes out no matter how much you want to protect it. Nobody can go and do a discussion and expect that the outcome will be that they never had that conversation right? No matter the replacement for football, basketball, or wrestling. That truth of either replacement or discussion will take place. It's going to come out. The thing about Iowa is that if you look at the three large brands of programs, wrestling is so compact and explosive compared to the other two conversation is louder. So if you're going to make a change or you're discussing something with somebody that will come to the forefront a lot sooner than say something about football or conjecture reigns supreme. Interesting pride takes a front seat to everything else. That's a problem, pride is the downfall of everything it makes you myopic. When you become myopic, you tend to hurt all that you try to protect, the law of diminishing returns. I don't want to see that with the Iowa program at all. I have to put my pride aside.

I don't want to see that with any other program. I don't want to see that at the Cornell. I don't want to see it with Lehigh. I don't want to see if Penn State. Prefer to see wrestling that every universal institution across the US but unfortunately it keeps being cut down. I am proud that the University of Iowa makes women's wrestling paramount, we need all the institutions in the US to accept this. We need to grow a sport, what I consider the greatest sport in the world, we need to ensure it's existence and growth while everyone else tries to replace it with ping pong or whatever it is. I need to grow this sport and I'm going to do everything I can locally here in California to make sure it does. I need my brothers and sisters to do the same, we can't let our sports shrink. We need to shut our pride aside for whatever program that we support. We need to grow this, wrestling in truth changes a person. It's probably the greatest sport in the sense that it creates a sense of determination and will unlike any other. It instills great things upon a person, and nobody has anybody to blame other than themselves.

Reactions: el dub
If, and it's a BIG if, DT would be the next head coach you completely sever the ties with the Brands. Let DT go through some on the job training and figure things out on his own. He's more than capable of doing this. The upside is WAY too good not to take your chances with him at the helm. One thing that would be a guarantee is the massive upgrade in talent that he'd bring with him and recruit to Iowa City.
This. You may have some old head blowback but so be it. You need a new face and voice of the program and, quite frankly, you want it to come from the Coach Cael tree. I don't even think Spencer gets you the bump DT would. I mean, hee already there and look what that's gotten you.

I got almost none of this from this thread. And I think I read every post. Even the dumb ones. But you do you.

I had to go back and dig it up, but I recall listening to David Taylor several years ago on the podcast Askren and Tommy Rowlands used to have. They specifically asked him if he would want to coach at Iowa, and he said it was something he would be interested in, one of the dream job positions out there. No idea about any of the rumors here, and the podcast is hypothetical speculation from 7 years ago now, but interesting nonetheless.

The impetus for the question to DT was Askren going into his issue with Iowa's style (basically lack of focus on scrambling), and DT offers his thoughts on the matter. Interesting to listen to regardless.

The relevant part starts around 45:40.

If the point is to replace Brands, why on earth would you keep them as interim?

This is a different sport than football or basketball where folks will be lining up to write checks. Also, I have no doubt that a DT, Burroughs, etc can come in with their people and teach wrestling, recruit, training etc. However, there is a lot more to head coaching...logistics, politics, funding (both university and NIL), which babies to kiss. In this scenario, a DT has had no experience in any of it within a college system. This is not a revolving door like football...Tom has dedicated most of his adult life to this program, is professional, and would like to see the Hawks succeed. This is not a new thing. Happened with Gable, and <ahem> Bobby Douglas, and its looking like what is going on at OSU right now.

I don't think Taylor will be the head coach at Iowa this year or next. But if I were stepping in, I would definitely value any consultation, coaching or otherwise, from the guy that has been the second best program in the country during his tenure if he was willing to give it.

BG is NOT targeting Taylor. Zero discussions have been had with the primary donors to the program regarding this. This wasn't a leak, it's a rumor to cause a ruckus within the fan base and hopefully impact recruiting. If you think BG would leak anything of this order during nationals, you need to stop taking stupid pills every morning.

And Nelson hasn't been cleared for next year yet. Another falsehood in the original post.

Can they lock up SL as recruiting coordinator now, those knees aren’t gonna last forever and he’s a face everyone knows and young wrestlers seem to have gravitated to. Whatever work mstar is doing it seems SL could do part time and still train.

BG is NOT targeting Taylor. Zero discussions have been had with the primary donors to the program regarding this. This wasn't a leak, it's a rumor to cause a ruckus within the fan base and hopefully impact recruiting. If you think BG would leak anything of this order during nationals, you need to stop taking stupid pills every morning.

And Nelson hasn't been cleared for next year yet. Another falsehood in the original post.
Wrong. They're talking.

So the AD is out talking to replacement for the head coach who isn’t willfully leaving. Gotta be awkward in Iowa city.

Reactions: Trapper85
Is there any gambling sights that have odds on any of this? Chances are slim to none. I like all them names except the ex Hawk. He can stay out east
Gambling is a 4 letter word around these parts.

And agree about that guy. I'd much rather have Ramos back... but he's not in the DT club.

It would take a lot to pry David from state college. But Iowa is willing to give it. It will be a case of does DT value his loyalty to Carl more or does he want to venture out on this great challenge?
David is Caels original prodigal son. He was his first big recruit, he was willing to go to Ames for Cael and happily followed him to psu. I'd actually credit DT with psu's current success as much as Cael. Cael was not an overly exciting wrestler, nor is he a particularly engaging personality. His style and personality are not what you see from psu now. What you see now is an extension of DT and that's what excited young wrestlers and largely drew them to psu. He started the dynasty as much as Cael did.
While I think he'd be the perfect choice to take over the program, I don't see Cael or psu letting it happen. He's got to be the next in line. There's no way they don't have a plan in place to keep him in happy valley. I'd love to be wrong but I'm just not seeing it.

Now the biggie - yes. Kyven was right. The AD has plans to talk to DT. She is dead serious about WINNING chips again. She's not particularly happy with Tom at the moment. The gambling, the ferrari situation, and this performance - she's holding Tom accountable and will be looking to do what will have us beat carl. She is VERY AWARE of the legacy of Iowa wrestling and how we're falling further behind. Like I told you earlier, she shut down AJ coming in in January - she's not a fan and isn't a fan of Tom's decision to bring the circus in. She also told Tom to get a hold of Terry - it's why he's been "less" in the corners.

👀👀👀

I want to believe this so bad. It's just so different from sleepy Gary Barta as AD. Go Beth!

David is Caels original prodigal son. He was his first big recruit, he was willing to go to Ames for Cael and happily followed him to psu. I'd actually credit DT with psu's current success as much as Cael. Cael was not an overly exciting wrestler, nor is he a particularly engaging personality. His style and personality are not what you see from psu now. What you see now is an extension of DT and that's what excited young wrestlers and largely drew them to psu. He started the dynasty as much as Cael did.
While I think he'd be the perfect choice to take over the program, I don't see Cael or psu letting it happen. He's got to be the next in line. There's no way they don't have a plan in place to keep him in happy valley. I'd love to be wrong but I'm just not seeing it.
I could see him coming to Iowa to coach. I don’t see him staying there forever. When Cael steps down, I would expect him to go for that. And if we have (for example) Spencer Lee as an assistant, ready to take over when that day comes, we might be in a pretty good spot.

His top assistant would likely be his brother in law Jimmy Kennedy.

Some combination of Dake, Gilman, Zain/Nolf would come. And he'd likely get some guys from the RTC.

Jimmy Kennedy; young, smart, aggressive style, personable. A young man on the move.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT