ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned at NCAAs this weekend

Deep. And here's the thing - Tom doesn't really care about the RTC. At least, not in the way Carl does.

He's not really interested in bringing guys in that aren't hawks, unless, stop me if you've heard this before, they WANT to become "hawks." The Dardanes twins? wanted in.
for all the analysis of the program i've read here in the recent past, no one seems to really address this

its just kind of taken as a fact that HWC is not going to be the best RTC, and that it's less important to the overall iowa wrestling program than a state of the art facility or a big name, very expensive head coach

I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX
You must have a decent amount of experience recruiting, fund raising and coaching at the D1 level??

• Haha
Reactions: grapplefann
No idea if this rumor has teeth, and either way whether is pans out or fizzles out. Hoping that either way it leads to tangible improvements. Nothing I would love more than to see TnT go out on top, or at least on a positive note. They bleed black and gold, are in the top of Iowa wrestling legends, were fun as hell to watch, have been darn good coaches and good for wrestling, and are clearly good guys at their core. That said, they've probably earned this 'controversy', so time to get scrambling and figure out how to come out on top often enough or face the music I guess.

Not only that, those teams lost national champs. Michigan lost Parris and Cornell lost Yianni.
Apples to Oranges. Everyone loses wrestlers to graduation. Granted, the "gamblers" did it to themselves, but no one else lost three (or more) guys that would have been starters THIS YEAR. Not making excuses, just stating facts. We also might not have had one of our best wrestlers if that hadn't happened, but he couldn't make up the points of the three that were starters last year.

Reactions: teman
But Wahlburg thinks we should be able to fight for first place all the time. Its apples to oranges when it comes to money.
The tradition, facilities, resources AND money Iowa has going for them, there is no reason that the Hawks shouldn't be 1-2 every year. Money is not an issue for Iowa.

Nagao and Truax took less than what Iowa was offering to go to PSU.

No idea if this rumor has teeth, and either way whether is pans out or fizzles out. Hoping that either way it leads to tangible improvements. Nothing I would love more than to see TnT go out on top, or at least on a positive note. They bleed black and gold, are in the top of Iowa wrestling legends, were fun as hell to watch, have been darn good coaches and good for wrestling, and are clearly good guys at their core. That said, they've probably earned this 'controversy', so time to get scrambling and figure out how to come out on top often enough or face the music I guess.
It's not looking good there lol

The tradition, facilities, resources AND money Iowa has going for them, there is no reason that the Hawks shouldn't be 1-2 every year. Money is not an issue for Iowa.

THis is only half truth... Took less NIL money but will be getting way more in the NLWC.

Will either of them wrestle at NLWC? Nagao is an MMA/BJJ guy and I don't think Truax has extensive freestyle experience (and would be buried on the NLWC depth chart at his weight).
No idea, But thats not how it works... They will still get paid from the NLwc after they graduate. That is how they have gotten around the lack of scholarships for years. You are very well taken care of when you graduate even if NLWC isnt in your fututre....

This of course was explained to me by someone else so if its wrong...**** that guy

No idea, But thats not how it works... They will still get paid from the NLwc after they graduate. That is how they have gotten around the lack of scholarships for years. You are very well taken care of when you graduate even if NLWC isnt in your fututre....

This of course was explained to me by someone else so if its wrong...**** that guy
This has long been the conspiracy, but never substantiated. Could it be true? Sure.

But to me, it's just as likely that kids were willing to go to PSU for less because they believed it was the place that would help them win. Most of these kids' families spent thousands and thousands of dollars on their training and competition growing up. Why is it so crazy they'd be willing to keep spending for an extra 4-5 years? Hell, families spend thousands on college for their kids who aren't even athletes!

When Iowa was on top, we used to brag about kids coming here for less all the time. Now that it benefits someone else, fans want to pretend they can't understand it.

This has long been the conspiracy, but never substantiated. Could it be true? Sure.

But to me, it's just as likely that kids were willing to go to PSU for less because they believed it was the place that would help them win. Most of these kids' families spent thousands and thousands of dollars on their training and competition growing up. Why is it so crazy they'd be willing to keep spending for an extra 4-5 years? Hell, families spend thousands on college for their kids who aren't even athletes!

When Iowa was on top, we used to brag about kids coming here for less all the time. Now that it benefits someone else, fans want to pretend they can't understand it.
yeah but that doesnt make me feel very good....... Ill stick with PSU pays way more money in secret hardees bags!!

yeah but that doesnt make me feel very good....... Ill stick with PSU pays way more money in secret hardees bags!!
they probably get paid in Taco Bell bags and that's why Ed Ruth was at the Taco Bell at 2 in the morning....its either that reason or he wanted a dozen Los Loco tacos to go with the 12 pack of Mic Ultra and pint of Grey Goose he already hammered.

Not as much as you seem to have with making excuses (or, as in this case, supporting those who do).

Quit putting PSU on a pedestal. Quit conceding.
Trust me, I've never put psu on a pedestal and have never once conceded to them.
As far as excuses go, I haven't made any of those either.
I do like asking questions so I can learn from those who have all the knowledge.

Looks like nageo should have stayed put. He went backwards at ped u.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyePA
Deep. And here's the thing - Tom doesn't really care about the RTC. At least, not in the way Carl does.

He's not really interested in bringing guys in that aren't hawks, unless, stop me if you've heard this before, they WANT to become "hawks." The Dardanes twins? wanted in.
Delgado wasn’t a hawk. Tom refuses to adapt.

Trust me, I've never put psu on a pedestal and have never once conceded to them.
As far as excuses go, I haven't made any of those either.
I do like asking questions so I can learn from those who have all the knowledge.
Make up your mind. One minute you don't believe I even wrestled for TnT and another minute I've got all the knowledge. You change the goalposts instead of facing the music whenever you get called out. And you are STILL fishing for info to try to determine exactly who I am (which you'll deny again, of course).

David is Caels original prodigal son. He was his first big recruit, he was willing to go to Ames for Cael and happily followed him to psu. I'd actually credit DT with psu's current success as much as Cael. Cael was not an overly exciting wrestler, nor is he a particularly engaging personality. His style and personality are not what you see from psu now. What you see now is an extension of DT and that's what excited young wrestlers and largely drew them to psu. He started the dynasty as much as Cael did.
While I think he'd be the perfect choice to take over the program, I don't see Cael or psu letting it happen. He's got to be the next in line. There's no way they don't have a plan in place to keep him in happy valley. I'd love to be wrong but I'm just not seeing it.
yeah, just like Ia St had a plan to keep Gable. Competitors want to compete and want to be in charge. What big name school would be better since PS job is taken?

Last edited:
Ira was just the catalyst. Per Ira, there are a handful more.
There are not multiple billionaires donating to PSU wrestling. That’s crazy and the so called Billionaire does not donate to the football team or wrestling. It’s Terry Pegula and he built the ice hockey arenas. These rumors get bigger every year. Anything for an excuse.

THis is only half truth... Took less NIL money but will be getting way more in the NLWC.
Truax will not step foot in the NLWC. He has a business career ahead of him. Bright kid. Nagao will not wrestle in the NLWC also. Maybe MMA. Maybe just maybe the rest of the college wrestling world believes Carl/Kale can coach unlike Iowa fans who thinks he buys championships.

Reactions: Hawkgma
Truax will not step foot in the NLWC. He has a business career ahead of him. Bright kid. Nagao will not wrestle in the NLWC also. Maybe MMA. Maybe just maybe the rest of the college wrestling world believes Carl/Kale can coach unlike Iowa fans who thinks he buys championships.
No serious Iowa wrestling fan believes Carl is just buying these championships. In his early days (pre-NIL), he had a nice little system going with the NLWC funds but he doesn't need to throw around a bunch of money to get the top HS kids to HV.

Now the results speak for themselves.

I don't think he buys championships...well, not completely, but he does have an assistant that makes him look better than he is. That's who we should be throwing money at to save our program, but he doesn't have the name recognition of Bael or DT, so that might not work either. He might not be able to do as much here without Bael's name to draw recruits, because most people don't realize how important he is to that team until they get there.

Reactions: Hawkgma
Not as much as you seem to have with making excuses (or, as in this case, supporting those who do).

Quit putting PSU on a pedestal. Quit conceding.
Some level of realism is necessary as well. PSU just broke the scoring record and they have won 11 of the last 13 NCAA Tournaments. They have EARNED being put on a pedestal. That doesn't mean anyone is conceding. It is just simple REALITY that PSU is currently in a basically uncatchable position on a year-in year-out basis.

Just because some of us are still supporting Brands doesn't mean we do not expect more. We are just not nearly as eager to blow everything up based on 3 parts dislike and 1 part hope......

Make no mistake, DT may very well prove to be great. He may get Iowa closer to PSU than anyone currently could. But, the truth is the reverse is also VERY MUCH a possibility. There is NO guarantee he would be the recruiter everyone believes he will be. There is no guarantee he would be any better than Brands. He has ZERO proof he can do ANY of it. I just can't wrap my head around throwing that kind of money at an unproven, no matter how big his name is.......

Everyone can say we are Iowa we would never become what Indiana basketball or Nebraska football did, but that is EXACTLY what Indiana and Nebraska said before it happened. If I am going to fire someone as successful as Brands has been, I would want to KNOW the new hire has the experience and abilities necessary to almost certainly and considerably improve production. This is especially true when the new hire doesn't literally bleed the school colors like the current coaches do...

lmao... you should follow my posts closer.... I know he doesn't buy championships but to say that the money is comparableis also not true.. PSU has the most money, best recruiting area, and most importantly the best coaching!!

Make up your mind. One minute you don't believe I even wrestled for TnT and another minute I've got all the knowledge. You change the goalposts instead of facing the music whenever you get called out. And you are STILL fishing for info to try to determine exactly who I am (which you'll deny again, of course).
You have a lot of odd thoughts going through your head.
I never moved the goalpost.
I don't care who you are. One more time since it doesn't sink in real fast, I don't care who you are.

Some level of realism is necessary as well. PSU just broke the scoring record and they have won 11 of the last 13 NCAA Tournaments. They have EARNED being put on a pedestal. That doesn't mean anyone is conceding. It is just simple REALITY that PSU is currently in a basically uncatchable position on a year-in year-out basis.

Just because some of us are still supporting Brands doesn't mean we do not expect more. We are just not nearly as eager to blow everything up based on 3 parts dislike and 1 part hope......

Make no mistake, DT may very well prove to be great. He may get Iowa closer to PSU than anyone currently could. But, the truth is the reverse is also VERY MUCH a possibility. There is NO guarantee he would be the recruiter everyone believes he will be. There is no guarantee he would be any better than Brands. He has ZERO proof he can do ANY of it. I just can't wrap my head around throwing that kind of money at an unproven, no matter how big his name is.......

Everyone can say we are Iowa we would never become what Indiana basketball or Nebraska football did, but that is EXACTLY what Indiana and Nebraska said before it happened. If I am going to fire someone as successful as Brands has been, I would want to KNOW the new hire has the experience and abilities necessary to almost certainly and considerably improve production. This is especially true when the new hire doesn't literally bleed the school colors like the current coaches do...
As far as replacing TnT, I still respect your thoughts. We disagree but I hear you.

As far as PSU, of course I think they're outstanding and what they've done is outstanding. But, that doesn't mean we should put them on a pedestal. They're human. It's possible. They're not uncatchable until you concede. I'm not saying we can likely catch them next year (though, we still should aim for it). Unfortunately, we've fallen way behind (which is one of the big reasons why I think changes at the top are warranted).

You have a lot of odd thoughts going through your head.
I never moved the goalpost.
I don't care who you are. One more time since it doesn't sink in real fast, I don't care who you are.
I could see how the truth might seem odd to a liar.

Reactions: hlstone
Iowa has become what Oklahoma State has been to us since the 1980s. A bunch of people living on the memories of what we were 30 years ago. And we're quickly becoming the 2004-2006 Hawkeye teams that were in a rapid downhill slide because our coach wouldn't listen, and wanted to do it his way. I love Tom Brands, and I still don't think we're going to find a better coach from the group that's currently available, who is willing to come here. An assistant who could bring a fresh way of seeing things is not an option if Tom won't listen to them. I want to see us improve, but I don't know how that is going to happen. Bringing in a kid's club coach with no Div 1 experience is a gamble. Especially one that many people here loved to hate when he was in college, competing for a rival. The rival that is now crushing us and everyone else. I don't have answers, but I wish someone did. I hate seeing us look as pitiful to PSU fans as the old-time Okie State fans did to us for so long. At least we haven't fallen as far under Brands as they have under Smith (yet). Look how much they've given up. In the 1980s they fired a really good coach for getting 2nd multiple times. Now they have a guy that has finished out of the Top 10 multiple times and he's still hanging around. I hope that is never us.

Last edited:
As far as replacing TnT, I still respect your thoughts. We disagree but I hear you.

As far as PSU, of course I think they're outstanding and what they've done is outstanding. But, that doesn't mean we should put them on a pedestal. They're human. It's possible. They're not uncatchable until you concede. I'm not saying we can likely catch them next year (though, we still should aim for it). Unfortunately, we've fallen way behind (which is one of the big reasons why I think changes at the top are warranted).
I also respect your input and your passion. By wrestling in that room, I think you have earned your opinions much more than many "entitled" fans that simply want what they want. I do not disagree one bit with you wanting and even expecting Iowa to be the best. I just simply disagree that there is someone out there right now that has a better chance at doing it than the Brands x2....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT