ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned at NCAAs this weekend

Carl is at liberty to say this now because the success speaks for itself, and rightly so. The new facility is definitely going to help not hurt, it had to come first.
There was chatter that we lost some recruits, especially to Ohio State, because of facilities.
Covid was a big deterrent to the timeline of the overall strategy which was in place.
I can already hear people saying it’s an excuse. Before sounding off consider whether Covid helped or hurt Iowa Wrestling.
The HWC is building funds and having the facilities paid for will help the cause. I also believe HWC has a better long term plan in place than they did pre-Covid. HWC did secure a long term endorsement last year which will eventually help with year to year expenses. The reality is we aren’t going to flip a switch and catch PSU. Next year won’t be a big blowout loss and some changes will occur, although they may not be visible.
What is the long term plan of HWC??? Small changes are going to made that might not be visible is the dumbest ****ing statement i have ever heard... That's the same as saying "we are doing things right and we won't change"

Seriously ride on TnT's lap all you want but we all know no changes are going to be made until the change is made at the top....

But by all means lets get excited about not getting blown out at Ncaa's...

Didn't Covid hurt all Wrestling programs and not just Iowa Wrestling?
One could rather rightfully argue it hurt Iowa much more than others. Mind you, they were runaway favorites to win NCAA's that year. Many detractors use that to act like Iowa's performance that season didn't exist. On top of that, he listed pretty significant infor regarding progression of the facilities and funding.

Do you honestly not think Iowa would be in a much better place if they had won 2 titles in a row and had the facility finished a year or 2 ago?

What is the long term plan of HWC??? Small changes are going to made that might not be visible is the dumbest ****ing statement i have ever heard... That's the same as saying "we are doing things right and we won't change"

Seriously ride on TnT's lap all you want but we all know no changes are going to be made until the change is made at the top....

And you are a full fledged complainer. See, any one can just make derrogatory statements based on feelings...

Edited to add: It's funny that you edited out the part I was responding to as I finished responding...

And you are a full fledged complainer. See, any one can just make derrogatory statements based on feelings...

Edited to add: It's funny that you edited out the part I was responding to as I finished responding...
Yeah, it didnt really add anything...

Once could rather rightfully argue it hurt Iowa much more than others. Mind you, the were runaway favorites to win NCAA's that year. Many detractors use that to act like Iowa's performance that season didn't exist. On top of that, he listed pretty significant infor regarding progression of the facilities and funding.

Do you honestly not think Iowa would be in a much better place if they had won 2 titles in a row and had the facility finished a year or 2 ago?
True, it very likely cost us a team title.

I honestly don't know if Iowa Wrestling would be in a much better place right now. Again, imaginary chickens are difficult to count accurately. If we won back-to-back titles, would that make it more likely or less likely that TnT make the necessary changes to their training/coaching philosophies to more consistently be competitive with PSU? If they think a super fancy training facility is going to make all the difference and that facility gets finished, would they be more likely or less likely to make the needed changes to their training/coaching? I don't know the answers, but I know it's easy to make more and more excuses once you allow yourself to start down that path.

what happened to hwc after 2016?

going in, ramos and metcalf had been world team reps at their weight for multiple years. obviously the dan dennis win was awesome (and soured the relationship with ramos and hwc), but after that, hwc just wasn't a real factor in american freestyle wrestling for about 6 years

that's a WAY bigger problem than the conditions of the training facilities at CHA, imo

I honestly don't know if Iowa Wrestling would be in a much better place right now. Again, imaginary chickens are difficult to count accurately. If we won back-to-back titles, would that make it more likely or less likely that TnT make the necessary changes to their training/coaching philosophies to more consistently be competitive with PSU? If they think a super fancy training facility is going to make all the difference and that facility gets finished, would they be more likely or less likely to make the needed changes to their training/coaching? I don't know the answers, but I know it's easy to make more and more excuses once you allow yourself to start down that path.
Hypothetically I think it does put them in a better place recruiting wise. They get rid of a handful of studs early who had declining performances with the extra year. Plus Spencer likely winning 4 titles. Doesn’t change anything now but that’s how I think it would have gone.

what happened to hwc after 2016?

going in, ramos and metcalf had been world team reps at their weight for multiple years. obviously the dan dennis win was awesome (and soured the relationship with ramos and hwc), but after that, hwc just wasn't a real factor in american freestyle wrestling for about 6 years

that's a WAY bigger problem than the conditions of the training facilities at CHA, imo
I don't know Dan at all, but does he bring any excitement to HWC?? Does anyone in high school know him? Is he a big enough draw to bring in a Nolf or Jden???

There was a post about a secret billionaire besides Ira that donated all this money behind the scenes. I said there is not one and the only billionaire involved with PSU sports is Terry Pegula and he donated the hockey arena. He doesn’t give money to wrestling. I don’t think he even donates to football .

Ah. Thought you were calling Ira the “so called billionaire” since you also claim he is not a billionaire

Last edited:
I don't know Dan at all, but does he bring any excitement to HWC?? Does anyone in high school know him? Is he a big enough draw to bring in a Nolf or Jden???
i think way too much emphasis is put on who is running hwc than who is training at hwc

guys aren't going to nlwc becasue they're excited to work with mark mcknight and jake varner...they're going there because of the incredible stable of athletes that they can train with

but to me, what happened from 2017 to 2022 or so for the hwc is a question i think needs answered just as much as "what assistant coach should be hire"

Why do some believe that a dollar raised by a RTC automatically takes a dollar away from the school? I give $100 to the school and a $100 to NLWC. If I didn't give $100 to the NLWC, I wouldn't necessarily give $200 to the school.

The truth is that I support my school, and recognize that by supporting the RTC, I'm also supporting my school.

Why do some believe that a dollar raised by a RTC automatically takes a dollar away from the school? I give $100 to the school and a $100 to NLWC. If I didn't give $100 to the NLWC, I wouldn't necessarily give $200 to the school.

The truth is that I support my school, and recognize that by supporting the RTC, I'm also supporting my school.
because the people in charge at IOWA all share one brain...

because the people in charge at IOWA all share one brain...
Most college administrators share the same brain. Iowa isn't alone. I suspect OSU has a similar issue, and maybe even more so. Their RTC is nearly non-existent. The fans there complain bitterly about being lapped by the field but falls on deaf ears.

Reactions: vhsalum and Hawkgma
"What do you mean our top assistant can't act like a toddler matside???"
I'm acquainted with a ref who works the NCAA's. He says that he doesn't mind the Brands, other than them being obnoxious, but the majority of refs despise them.

Reactions: hlstone

It’s also way easier to ignore very strong likelihoods and reasons and juxtapose them with “imaginary chickens” and “excuses” to further your narrative.

Simply put, due to Covid, Brands lost a ton of momentum that could have massively helped in recruiting and development. Ignoring that or making light of it takes away from your argument. Better to stick solely to what is happening in the here and now vs. belittling those that give legit “reasoning” vs. “excuses”…

It’s also way easier to ignore very strong likelihoods and reasons and juxtapose them with “imaginary chickens” and “excuses” to further your narrative.

Simply put, due to Covid, Brands lost a ton of momentum that could have massively helped in recruiting and development. Ignoring that or making light of it takes away from your argument. Better to stick solely to what is happening in the here and now vs. belittling those that give legit “reasoning” vs. “excuses”…
Very strong likelihoods? Didn't we win three titles in a row from 2008-2010? Did that momentum continue to massively help our recruiting and development? I didn't ignore anything. I gave a reasoned response.

Covid is over. Sure it hurt Iowa badly, but we can't use it as a crutch after NCAAs year after year. Sometimes you have to make your own breaks.

Very strong likelihoods? Didn't we win three titles in a row from 2008-2010? Did that momentum continue to massively help our recruiting and development?
I am pretty sure Iowa had a rather massive recruiting class right after. They just hadn’t adapted yet to putting more value on purely top 10 guys vs depth. However, that obviously changed with Kemerer and the “Lee Binder”. I absolutely believe that 2 years of championships along with a brand new facility would have been huge selling points. Instead they ended up with 1 year followed by Lee taking 6th. Lee wrestling in 2020 almost certainly takes that negative away as well and their image becomes immensely more positive…

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I am pretty sure Iowa had a rather massive recruiting class right after. They just hadn’t adapted yet to putting more value on purely top 10 guys vs depth. However, that obviously changed with Kemerer and the “Lee Binder”. I absolutely believe that 2 years of championships along with a brand new facility would have been huge selling points. Instead they ended up with 1 year followed by Lee taking 6th. Lee wrestling in 2020 almost certainly takes that negative away as well and their image becomes immensely more positive…
Plus, Lee may have walked away with a gold medal in the olympics.

and i know its OT most of the people on this board dont care anyway, but Fran had a mighty fine basketball team that year too.

Never forget what covid (or those 'in charge') took from us! (small for de-emphasis)

Didn't Covid hurt all Wrestling programs and not just Iowa Wrestling?
Covid clearly hurt Iowa more than any other program. This is a little tangential from this discussion because most of it is unrelated to the OP about the Brands' approach to training/coaching, but first, most obviously, Iowa was ranked #1 and seemed poised to win nationals that year, so they would likely have back-to-back national titles instead of just one.

Second, Covid undeniably affected Spencer personally worse than anyone else in wrestling. In 2020, Spencer was the undefeated #1 seed for NCAAs going for his third consecutive title when the tournament was cancelled. In 2021, he wrestled through two torn ACLs to win his third title (and lead the team to a team title) and gave the famous "excuses are for wusses" speech. He put off surgery and came back for 2022 to try to defend the team title with the rest of the guys he'd been wrestling with for his college career, but couldn't go and eventually shut it down in January and had the surgeries. He rushed back on the mat for the start of the 2023 season just 9 months post double-ACL surgery to wrestle the 2023 season, and re-injured the knee and ended his senior season counting lights in the biggest upset in college wrestling for decades (possibly since Owings-Gable) while his mom blamed her glasses for what she just saw.

If there is no pandemic, Spencer wins title 3 in 2020 while leading Iowa to break PSU's dominance in the team race, and then, in 2021, he leads the team to a defense of the team title while winning his 4th, not 3rd, ends his Iowa career as a 4-timer with the "excuses are for wusses" speech, and leaves his shoes on the mat and walks away with people debating whether he is the greatest ever. He then gets the surgeries he needs in Spring of 2021, takes a full year to fully recover/rehab, and can begin training for the 2024 Olympics as the odds-on favorite for at least the US trials if not the Olympic gold.

Most of this affects Spencer and his legacy specifically, but Iowa as a team would have back-to-back team titles and a 4-time champ who is arguably the greatest college wrestler ever (certainly greatest lightweight ever) at HWC, both of which would help recruiting to a certain extent. It would not address the core issue of TnT's antiquated approach to training/coaching, however.

You can believe that all you want. But you're basically stating that I'm being disingenuous for seeing things differently than you. I think there are plenty of reasons to see it my way, but I don't claim you must see it my way.

Covid is over. Sure it hurt Iowa badly, but we can't use it as a crutch after NCAAs year after year. Sometimes you have to make your own breaks.
I wasn’t using it as a crutch. I didn’t even bring it up. But, once someone diminished it as if it were trivial at best, I had to point out that is was much more than that…

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
You can believe that all you want. But you're basically stating that I'm being disingenuous for seeing things differently than you. I think there are plenty of reasons to see it my way, but I don't claim you must see it my way.
I am sorry, but I do believe your opinion of Brands taints your viewpoint on certain things. That doesn’t mean I don’t understand your stance on the overall point of Iowa NOW. I may disagree with you on the causation and the exact fix, but that doesn’t mean I don’t respect your stance on where you want them to be and willingness to do anything to get there…

I am sorry, but I do believe your opinion of Brands taints your viewpoint on certain things. That doesn’t mean I don’t understand your stance on the overall point of Iowa NOW. I may disagree with you on the causation and the exact fix, but that doesn’t mean I don’t respect your stance on where you want them to be and willingness to do anything to get there…
And I believe your opinions 'taint' your viewpoints as well. Same with everyone.

Very strong likelihoods? Didn't we win three titles in a row from 2008-2010? Did that momentum continue to massively help our recruiting and development? I didn't ignore anything. I gave a reasoned response.
Since you stated previously that you had wrestled around that time, what would you attribute as causes for why the momentum died out post-2010?

Last edited:
Also, I was you x3 with Minkel for several years. I had multiple email accounts blocked and letters marked return to sender. The Athletic Department had zero interest in ANY form of discussion. It took him being let go, Roger taking over and bringing Chris back to eventually find out that, even though Minkel had basically cashed out his last 6-8 years or so, the Athletic Department was literally unapproachable and STILL ARE towards any avenue to considerably improve the program.

As such, I now realize that Roger and Chris are basically doing the best that program could possibly do, short of hiring a MONSTER NAME that could some how drum up massive outside funding and I am not sure where he would even begin to find the type of donors necessary and somehow get them interested enough to help....

WIth that said, I get the angst and do not expect everyone to like the coach they wrestled for years later. I just have a different, more open viewpoint having seen a drop off that Iowa almost certainly could never come close to...

Last edited:
And I believe your opinions 'taint' your viewpoints as well. Same with everyone.
I have no problem with that and I am sure it is accurate in certain areas. I just absolutley believe you are intelligent enough to know how disingenuous it seems to act like Covid was the same for every team. You can still say all the things you say about why Iowa needs changes now while acknowledging that Covid was a major blow to Iowa more so than any DI team that year...

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I have no problem with that and I am sure it is accurate in certain areas. I just absolutley believe you are intelligent enough to know how disingenuous it seems to act like Covid was the same for every team. You can still say all the things you say about why Iowa needs changes now while acknowledging that Covid was a major blow to Iowa more so than any DI team that year...
I don't know about other schools, but PSU was doing its once every five years recharging of the batteries in 2020 so I was fine with Nationals being canceled. It saved me the angst of watch a 5th-7th place performance. So 2020 was a win of sorts for PSU.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone and MSU158
I don't know about other schools, but PSU was doing its once every five years recharging of the batteries in 2020 so I was fine with Nationals being canceled. It saved me the angst of watch a 5th-7th place performance. So 2020 was a win of sorts for PSU.
Not to mention all of your best guys are getting to compete in five NCAA tournaments. You don’t break the record without Brooks this year (I know he only got four), but you get the idea.

Also, I was you x3 with Minkel for several years. I had multiple email accounts blocked and letters marked return to sender. The Athletic Department had zero interest in ANY form of discussion. It took him being let go, Roger taking over and bringing Chris back to eventually find out that, even though Minkel had basically cashed out his last 6-8 years or so, the Athletic Department was literally unapproachable and STILL ARE towards any avenue to considerably improve the program.

As such, I now realize that Roger and Chris are basically doing the best that program could possibly do, short of hiring a MONSTER NAME that could some how drum up massive outside funding and I am not sure where he would even begin to find the type of donors necessary and somehow get them interested enough to help....

WIth that said, I get the angst and do not expect everyone to like the coach they wrestled for years later. I just have a different, more open viewpoint having seen a drop off that Iowa almost certainly could never come close to...
you don't think MSU could be better with a new staff?

Simple. What is the population of Pennsylvania? What is the economy compared to Iowa? There isn't the same amount of money.

I get that COVID hurt the Hawks the "most" - but we should absolutely NOT act like back to back titles was a given.

Tom has done an absolutely consistent job of burning guys out at seniors. Even with all of the so-called change in training that acuhawk has touted - both Real and Franek are lesser versions of themselves from a year ago. I just REALLY hate the narrative that we would have won back to back as if its a given. Tom has proven otherwise.

Simple. What is the population of Pennsylvania? What is the economy compared to Iowa? There isn't the same amount of money.
Not sure what the state population has to do with any of this conversation. It has to do with the total wealth of alumni. OSU is not as big as PSU but when T Boone Pickens was alive, they had more alumni wealth than we had. If I recall, the lynchpin for the NLWC was a $5M donation back near the beginning. $5M is a lot more than I can give, but Iowa must have a handful of wrestling fans with deep pockets to fund HWC to where it needs to be to compete against PSU.

Reactions: Mendoza77
I get that COVID hurt the Hawks the "most" - but we should absolutely NOT act like back to back titles was a given.

Tom has done an absolutely consistent job of burning guys out at seniors. Even with all of the so-called change in training that acuhawk has touted - both Real and Franek are lesser versions of themselves from a year ago. I just REALLY hate the narrative that we would have won back to back as if its a given. Tom has proven otherwise.
I don’t like the Covid excuses, but that tournament was as close to a given as possible. Iowa beat PSU by 50 points at B1Gs

I didn't say it was the same for every team (or act like it). I disagreed about whether or not we should count all the (imaginary) chickens you were counting in our favor if it hadn't happened. And no, I (still) don't think that's disingenuous at all. I even gave several reasons why.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT