ADVERTISEMENT

****Iowa (6-0) @ UVA (5-2) Game Thread****

We are not a very young team. You seem very sensitive about the idea that our team was giving the game away in the second half with poor play and poor decisions. A 21 point lead isn't something that just goes away
In terms of time and minutes at D1 Iowa yes, this is a young team. Compare to last year's team, for example.

Fun to watch but a heart attack!

We are not a very young team. You seem very sensitive about the idea that our team was giving the game away in the second half with poor play and poor decisions. A 21 point lead isn't something that just goes away
It's almost the type of thing that often happens on the road in a hostile environment against a team with the best defense in the country. 🤷

Iowa cooled down from the field in the second half and Virginia heated up.

Ultimately, they won the game. That was a hell of a win and will be a big confidence booster.

Iowa also got the 21 point lead and scored the most points in the first half against a Tony Bennett-coached VA team. Yeah, that is something. AND Iowa held VA to 30 points in the first half. AND Iowa came back to beat VA on their home floor even through Iowa was down under 20 seconds.
THAT is reality.
WTF IS your problem? Iowa is a VERY young team that NOONE expected to be at this point so early in the season. Enjoy the ride IF you are a fan, otherwise screw yourself.
This is an old team.

The tv talking point of Iowa not having experience is nonsense.

Maybe they are thinking age-wise? Because Power 6 experience-wise, this is a young team.
Would love to hear some analysis on this. Aside from Bohannon, Joe T and Connor, there isn't a ton of game experience out there

Rebraca has now started 81 D-1 games….
Jobo 139
JoeT 27
Almost 250 careers starts is more than most

"It's really for my team, to be honest. It's not really for me...
I'm glad I made the shot...
I'm happy I got the win for my guys"

Would love to hear some analysis on this. Aside from Bohannon, Joe T and Connor, there isn't a ton of game experience out there

Rebraca has now started 81 D-1 games….
Jobo 139
JoeT 27
Almost 250 careers starts is more than most
Rebraca spent 3 years at North Dakota. Not the same. Most of his games were against small school D1 teams.
JoBo has experience that really counts and it showed last night.
Joe T has experience that counts but it's not on the level of CMac or JoBo. He is finally looking like an upperclassman out there!
You left out CMac - he does provide a ton of experience similar to what JoBo does. He's not a scorer but he understands the offense and defense and often gets the team going the right direction for both.

Other than those 3, this team is very young. Rebraca is learning what playing a major D1 schedule against P6 interior players is like. He is going to need to adapt as the season goes along. Keegan and PMac have had minutes in past years but they weren't really starters minutes. This is very new for them. The bench players except for CMac are all very inexperienced. As someone noted, Iowa ranks in the bottom half of D1 for returning experience. I don't know what measure you use for this but to me it means that they are NOT an experienced team.

Rebraca spent 3 years at North Dakota. Not the same. Most of his games were against small school D1 teams.
JoBo has experience that really counts and it showed last night.
Joe T has experience that counts but it's not on the level of CMac or JoBo. He is finally looking like an upperclassman out there!
You left out CMac - he does provide a ton of experience similar to what JoBo does. He's not a scorer but he understands the offense and defense and often gets the team going the right direction for both.

Other than those 3, this team is very young. Rebraca is learning what playing a major D1 schedule against P6 interior players is like. He is going to need to adapt as the season goes along. Keegan and PMac have had minutes in past years but they weren't really starters minutes. This is very new for them. The bench players except for CMac are all very inexperienced. As someone noted, Iowa ranks in the bottom half of D1 for returning experience. I don't know what measure you use for this but to me it means that they are NOT an experienced team.
Agree that Rebraca 3 yrs at NDak is not like 3 yrs at even jNWN, however, he’s an older, mature, kid that has lots of games, and I think we are seeing all of that, as he plays within the system, not forcing shots, but when it goes into the post, he patiently goes to work on a set of pretty successful moves, as we saw last night 4-4 vs bigger front men. Other than the missed FTs, I’d see we are seeing an experienced kid trying to punch over his weight as an undersized post player.

I also think JoeT is showing he’s playing as an experienced PG demonstrating very good judgement, versus previous years, and demonstrated that again last night. When was the last time iowa ran an end of game, end of half play that worked? Well JoeT was able to improvise and showed good judgement in taking a controlled high % shot that went in.

Recall, JoBo took the most ill advised shot of the night, an off balanced forced shot that was no where near. So if you contrast the experience of the 2, please be able to defend those 2 shots,

ConMac provides experienced guy to feed the post but really isn’t he about the 3rd or 4th PG on this team? And certainly not a shooting guard (JoBo, Sanfort] or forward (KeM, KrM, PMac), I’m not sure what value he has on this team?

Saying Keegan is inexperienced is almost a straw man as he’s the leading scorer in the country and POY candidate.

PMac is now in his 3rd full season with the team, he’s been around about 100 B1G games, that’s alot.

In my view this team is loaded with experience

Agree that Rebraca 3 yrs at NDak is not like 3 yrs at even jNWN, however, he’s an older, mature, kid that has lots of games, and I think we are seeing all of that, as he plays within the system, not forcing shots, but when it goes into the post, he patiently goes to work on a set of pretty successful moves, as we saw last night 4-4 vs bigger front men. Other than the missed FTs, I’d see we are seeing an experienced kid trying to punch over his weight as an undersized post player.

I also think JoeT is showing he’s playing as an experienced PG demonstrating very good judgement, versus previous years, and demonstrated that again last night. When was the last time iowa ran an end of game, end of half play that worked? Well JoeT was able to improvise and showed good judgement in taking a controlled high % shot that went in.

Recall, JoBo took the most ill advised shot of the night, an off balanced forced shot that was no where near. So if you contrast the experience of the 2, please be able to defend those 2 shots,

ConMac provides experienced guy to feed the post but really isn’t he about the 3rd or 4th PG on this team? And certainly not a shooting guard (JoBo, Sanfort] or forward (KeM, KrM, PMac), I’m not sure what value he has on this team?

Saying Keegan is inexperienced is almost a straw man as he’s the leading scorer in the country and POY candidate.

PMac is now in his 3rd full season with the team, he’s been around about 100 B1G games, that’s alot.

PMac was in a suit and unable to play for most of the previous TWO years. This season just started so wtf are you counting it???

Keegan is not being considered for POTY because of his experience, it's his potential. He is not experienced by any measure.

I won't begin to talk to you about CMac. You are clueless there if you can't see his worth to the team.

And your view is yours. Good luck with that because it's not based in reality. Experience is relative. And Iowa is relatively inexperienced.

PMac was in a suit and unable to play for most of the previous TWO years. This season just started so wtf are you counting it???

Keegan is not being considered for POTY because of his experience, it's his potential. He is not experienced by any measure.
Keegan has (just) one year under his belt.
And essentially a redshirt year, since he can still play for 3 more.

This team has quite a few (effective) underclassmen, who played in far more limited roles in their previous seasons. But even those limited playing opps seem to be paying off bigly, as there don't appear to be too many "weak links" on this team. They all have at least one clear strength and are playing within their abilities, recognizing the opportunities the defense is giving them and distributing the ball to the guy in position to score.

I think most people expected a .500 year out of them, because most of the experience was mainly in just a couple guys. 4 TOs against a defense like Virginia is one of the most impressive stats from last night IMO.

Ranked 238/358

Penn St is the most experienced team in the B1G 8/358

Nebraska is the least experienced 324/358

I mean I get the argument that we have older players, chronologically speaking, but actual court/playing experience is what matters. Not the fact the Jordan qualifies for AARP benefits

Ranked 238/358

Penn St is the most experienced team in the B1G 8/358

Nebraska is the least experienced 324/358

I mean I get the argument that we have older players, chronologically speaking, but actual court/playing experience is what matters. Not the fact the Jordan qualifies for AARP benefits
Thanks, that's what I thought. So Iowa is in the BOTTOM 35% of D1 teams for experience. That's objectively a relatively inexperienced team.

Reactions: Joes Place
Iowa starts three 21 year olds and two 24 year olds.

They have a 23 year old and a 21 year old as first guys off the bench.

They're an old team.

They have less game experience than their age would indicate but physical maturity is a big part of why "experienced" players have an advantage.

The Iowa is young narrative is not a thing.

Reactions: KcTo

They're an old team.

They have less game experience than their age would indicate but physical maturity is a big part of why "experienced" players have an advantage.

Age isn't the issue here. They are inexperienced.

They're an old team.

Young no....limited experience that is important, yes. Here are some comments from Fran prior to the Virginia game.

Q: In front of a hostile crowd?

It will be a challenge. It's always that way. Less of a factor with veteran team. Have about eight guys who haven't played in front of a hostile crowd. even the guys who played a lot last year haven't played in front of anyone. I think we are all excited about this opportunity. This is what we sign up for and we will see how we perform.

Reactions: Joes Place

I won't begin to talk to you about CMac. You are clueless there if you can't see his worth to the team.

And your view is yours. Good luck with that because it's not based in reality. Experience is relative. And Iowa is relatively inexperienced.
PMac was in a suit and unable to play for most of the previous TWO years.

A. You must be confused, PMac played in 31 games last season and played 450 minutes….
B. Keegan played in 31 games last year and was all Freshman team
( I would also put forth that Keegan is POTY candidate because of his results, not his potential or experience.

C. Please explain to me the value of Connor on this team.

From Fran......experience is lacking.

It will be a challenge. It's always that way. Less of a factor with veteran team. Have about eight guys who haven't played in front of a hostile crowd. even the guys who played a lot last year haven't played in front of anyone. I think we are all excited about this opportunity. This is what we sign up for and we will see how we perform.

From Fran......experience is lacking.

A. Jobo, JoeT, Rebraca, and Connor have all played in front of hostile college crowds, 3 of them start, 3 of them were in at the end. 60% of your players that were top 5 in minutes played in front of hostile crowds.

B. Keegan and PMac, while not playing in hostile crowds in college, did play 31 games logging almost 1000 minutes, so they’ve a significant level of minutes playing at the highest level.

C. Who are the other eight? Ulis 6minutes, perk 4m, Sanfort 5m, Kris 16min, Ogundele, mulvey, ash, Laketa all zero minutes…. I’ll agree that these guys that played sparingly are the inexperienced majority…

A. Jobo, JoeT, Rebraca, and Connor have all played in front of hostile college crowds, 3 of them start, 3 of them were in at the end. 60% of your players that were top 5 in minutes played in front of hostile crowds.

B. Keegan and PMac, while not playing in hostile crowds in college, did play 31 games logging almost 1000 minutes, so they’ve a significant level of minutes playing at the highest level.

C. Who are the other eight? Ulis 6minutes, perk 4m, Sanfort 5m, Kris 16min, Ogundele, mulvey, ash, Laketa all zero minutes…. I’ll agree that these guys that played sparingly are the inexperienced majority…
Yes...so those other 8.....about 66% of the team have not played in front of hostile crowds...Thus a significant percentage of the TEAM is inexperienced. In addition, with the exception of Connor, the rest of them are playing in new roles...doesn't seem that hard to understand.

That was the premise of the initial unrelenting posts by RockandRoll....that this isn't a young TEAM. Okay, it's not a young TEAM. But the TEAM is in fact inexperienced. RR appears to want to attack that aspect of this team....like he's trying to discredit a witness in a trial....that leads us away from the fact that this team is actually inexperienced.

• Haha
Reactions: RocknRollface
Age isn't the issue here. They are inexperienced.
Other then playing basketball their whole lives?

If you want to tell me a bunch of adult men are inexperienced we'll have to agree to disagree.

Its not something that matters.

Yes...so those other 8.....about 66% of the team have not played in front of hostile crowds...Thus a significant percentage of the TEAM is inexperienced. In addition, with the exception of Connor, the rest of them are playing in new roles...doesn't seem that hard to understand.

That was the premise of the initial unrelenting posts by RockandRoll....that this isn't a young TEAM. Okay, it's not a young TEAM. But the TEAM is in fact inexperienced. RR appears to want to attack that aspect of this team....like he's trying to discredit a witness in a trial....that leads us away from the fact that this team is actually inexperienced.
Lol attacking an aspect of a team? Thats absurd.

If anything im giving them credit.

Im mocking a silly narrative.

Inexperience means more when body, skill, and mind are underdeveloped see: age. It’s probably why we saw less of Perkins/Sandfort/Ulis last night (though whether they could/should have handled heavier minutes is up for debate). When you’re 22-24 years old, your game and mentals are typically more developed to where you are equipped to go out and execute regardless of the stage. However, that’s purely from my own observation/experience

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT