*****Iowa vs Wisconsin Game Thread*****

I get this part, but my question is What is the strategy for:

Dix?
Desonte?
Harding?
Pryce?
Dembele?
Braun?

no PGs to start , then brings in 3 PGs? Please explain?
I agree, it's insane.

There's a way for this team to be competitive and it does not involve Patrick or Ben Krikke playing more than 10 minutes combined.

This game was won by Wisky at the foul line. We had 10 more shots yet they had 19 more free throws? With our soft defense, how in the F does that happen. The refs were homers of course. But Pmac did have 2 fouls, doubling his season total!

homer simpson middle finger GIF

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
I hear ya. I actually stumbled into the game while channel surfing. Had no idea they were playing. My apathy is pretty strong these days.
I used to say it and not really mean it, but this year is different.

I stumbled on it on the guide around 3pm, so I decided to circle back and watch a few minutes. Quickly back to not caring.

He doesn't do anything well besides being a decent spot up shooter.

But these idiotic no guard lineups mean that there's never any open shots for him.
You ever watch him off ball? There's a reason he doesn't get open looks and it's not the lineup.

My reappearance will make you think I'm here to gloat, but I'm not. I ran across a stat that I'm curious to get your thoughts on.

The Bart Torvik site has a box score that shows 2-point shooting stats by "rim" and "mid". It shows that Iowa took 23 shots at the rim and 22 from mid (UW was 31 and 5 on those stats).

What is your thought about taking so high a percentage of midrange shots? I've just been conditioned to want to avoid them, but Iowa does have a good efficient offense overall. Do you think last night was an anomaly and it might have been something the UW defense goaded them into? Was it foul trouble for Krikke that caused this?

My reappearance will make you think I'm here to gloat, but I'm not. I ran across a stat that I'm curious to get your thoughts on.

The Bart Torvik site has a box score that shows 2-point shooting stats by "rim" and "mid". It shows that Iowa took 23 shots at the rim and 22 from mid (UW was 31 and 5 on those stats).

What is your thought about taking so high a percentage of midrange shots? I've just been conditioned to want to avoid them, but Iowa does have a good efficient offense overall. Do you think last night was an anomaly and it might have been something the UW defense goaded them into? Was it foul trouble for Krikke that caused this?
Iowa isn’t taking nearly enough 3 point shots this year+they are an average 3 point shooting team when they do That’s a recipe for disaster as a finesse team that doesn’t play D. Iowa’s efficiency numbers on O are still good but not elite like in previous years. That’s why they’re sitting at 8-6 instead of 11-3.

27 minutes
2-9 shooting (0-4 from 3)
5 points (that is a point every 5.4 minutes of play)
3 rebounds(that is a rebound every 9 minutes of play)
3 TOs

This is akin to Lickliter playing his kid.
Sad state of affairs in MBB at Iowa.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael

Although Krikke has a great mid range shot, I hate anything but 3 point shots & shots in the paint/layups. Unless the shot clock is under 7 seconds it should be nothing other than a 3 pointer of in the paint. Every mid range shot is lower reward. Fran needs to run more plays for Payton 3's like he used to for JBo.

Reactions: BadgerInSpartyland
Although Krikke has a great mid range shot, I hate anything but 3 point shots & shots in the paint/layups. Unless the shot clock is under 7 seconds it should be nothing other than a 3 pointer of in the paint. Every mid range shot is lower reward. Fran needs to run more plays for Payton 3's like he used to for JBo.
He does run sets for Sandfort. He struggles to create space to get his shot off. JBo was able to create space due to being quicker than Sandfort.

This is my attitude, too, though "hate" is too strong. Sometimes the mid is the best shot you can get and is higher % than the kamikaze drive, but you can't really ferret those out from the stats alone.

I guess I'm wondering whether the stats last night were an aberration. If so, it would certainly be something the coaching staff should point out and address.

I noticed that last night late in the second half. The recent theory in basketball in general is only layups, dunks, or 3 pointers. Taking a bunch of mid range shots usually does not afford a high percentage, but Iowa seems to have a lot of players that relishes taking them led by Krikke, Perkins, Patrick.
I understand if a team is shooting a low percentage of 3's, it can cause a team to look for other ways to score, but you're not going to win many games taking mid range shots at a high volume and Iowa has very few players that have the ability to get to the rim. That's on Fran and his staff.

This is my attitude, too, though "hate" is too strong. Sometimes the mid is the best shot you can get and is higher % than the kamikaze drive, but you can't really ferret those out from the stats alone.

I guess I'm wondering whether the stats last night were an aberration. If so, it would certainly be something the coaching staff should point out and address.

People lose sight of common sense and think analytics are 100% without fault. If he is a higher percent midrange shooter than 3pointer and they’re clogging the paint, then it makes sense to take the higher risk low reward shot still. The numbers don’t measure the the defense they’re facing.

Plenty in NBA still go to mid range. Yes it’s less since this has been a focus but it shouldn’t be eliminated.

People lose sight of common sense and think analytics are 100% without fault. If he is a higher percent midrange shooter than 3pointer and they’re clogging the paint, then it makes sense to take the higher risk low reward shot still. The numbers don’t measure the the defense they’re facing.

Plenty in NBA still go to mid range. Yes it’s less since this has been a focus but it shouldn’t be eliminated.
Shouldn't be eliminated, but should only be utilized with shot clock running down. Easy to get off a mid range shot as teams guard the 3 pt line & the paint.

Reactions: RocknRollface
He doesn't do anything well besides being a decent spot up shooter.

But these idiotic no guard lineups mean that there's never any open shots for him.
I disagree. I think the only thing he does well is not pass the ball once he gets it. Pretty sure he shoots every time he gets the ball past half court. Most of the time that involves throwing up some terrible shot.

I’d love to see a stat of the amount of dribbles he takes and how many passes he makes in a game. As a non backcourt player he should be passing way more than dribbling yet I’m sure it’s not even close.

Reactions: RocknRollface

I agree hate is a strong word maybe go with "that really bothers me"

The mid rang shots are a result of too many tall slow players on the court together. They can't go by their defenders so the defense never has to help and leave someone open. They all end up condensing in the lane and can't get any spacing for post feeds either.

Basically iowa has some decent shooters but overall the offense is a cluster **** because of poor spacing and no guards on the floor.

Fran has his guys he wants to play and is willing to ignore how ineffective they are on both ends because they're his guys and he wants them to feel good.

Reactions: LukaDuka
JBO and quickness, I think this is the first time on this forum anyone used these words together. :D But yeah...
Right, Sandfort has a much easier time getting shots off than jbo.

Fran runs plays for him all the time.

You can only run so many set plays for catch and shoot players, you need their shots to just happen in the course of running offense. Normally open looks would come from dribble penetration but Fran doesn't like that.

I disagree. I think the only thing he does well is not pass the ball once he gets it. Pretty sure he shoots every time he gets the ball past half court. Most of the time that involves throwing up some terrible shot.

I’d love to see a stat of the amount of dribbles he takes and how many passes he makes in a game. As a non backcourt player he should be passing way more than dribbling yet I’m sure it’s not even close.
Is he a non back court player? I really don't know what position Patrick supposedly plays.

I think he's a non back court and non front court player. He specializes in being in no man's land and cherry picking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT