ADVERTISEMENT

****Iowa (7-0) @ PU (7-0) Game Thread****

All of Iowa's mistakes would probably not have affected the result if Purdue had not shot so many free throws on bad calls and Iowa would have shot all the fouls Purdue committed.
We grabbed, held and pushed the first half because we were a step or 2 slow. Second half not so much. I’m a high school official and had tonight off and thankfully I was able to watch the game tonight. I and my colleagues have 30 plus more games to go this year and we could sure use your help. Are you up to that and getting home at 11 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday night in below zero temperatures???

• Haha
Reactions: HungryHawk
Just went toe-to-toe with the #1 team in the land.
At Mackey, without the nation's leading scorer.

Same game, in IC, with Keagan and no Ivey and Iowa wins in a blowout. Doesn't work that way at all, obviously, but fun to think of what this team could do this year if they keep playing this tough.

Agree. Still needs to lose some weight and gain stamina. He’s got a good feel for the game.

I like his size especially in games like tonight. Cut some bad fat and add the muscle. Cardio will be his biggest weakness for awhile. Josh has had some bad luck thus far with trying to get to his (Fran’s) goal, so I think he’ll be fine just not as soon as they’d have liked. Extended minutes might actually speed up the process.

I have no problem with how he used them. If any team needed settling down it was PU. They almost gave away the game.
Of course you don't.

Second or third to last possession , down 4, it was obvious they were not going to get a good shot, and they didn't.

Fran was litteraly on the court stomping and screaming at them because it was obviously going down the drain.

Should have called a TO there in my opinion.

Reactions: KcTo
I sincerely wish the B1G would completely scrap their entire roster of refs and find new ones. Their “institutional knowledge”, in my opinion, is what makes them so bad.

They ref the “physical” programs differently than the teams like Iowa.

Every year I am dismayed at how they never get any better.

Fùck Williams is a good player, but dude never leaves the lane.
Absolutely.

Had Iowa been wearing MSU jerseys they probably get called for less than half the fouls.

Big ten reffs are incompetent.

Reactions: iahawks10
Then why hold him out in 1st half sport?
I'm not a fan of pulling someone after 2 fouls either. The only reason Joe only played 16 minutes tonight was Fran. It's not like he doesn't have a quality backup in Ulis. He can take chances with fouls on Joe. If he fouls out he fouls out. As it stood he ended up with only 3 fouls. Strategy fail.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Anyone listening to the Purdue post game presser? I think ive heard the word um a couple hundred times already.
Of course you don't.

Second or third to last possession , down 4, it was obvious they were not going to get a good shot, and they didn't.

Fran was litteraly on the court stomping and screaming at them because it was obviously going down the drain.

Should have called a TO there in my opinion.
Agree, those,TOs aren’t going to do Fran any good in the plane headed back,too iowa city

We grabbed, held and pushed the first half because we were a step or 2 slow. Second half not so much. I’m a high school official and had tonight off and thankfully I was able to watch the game tonight. I and my colleagues have 30 plus more games to go this year and we could sure use your help. Are you up to that and getting home at 11 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday night in below zero temperatures???

Cry me a river. I was HS debate coach. Driven hundreds of thousands miles, usually late on Saturday or Sunday night; frequently in the shittiest weather the Midwest has to offer. I even had to deal with brilliantly atavistic adolescents while unable to take my eye off the road. So actually, I appreciate the people willing to do the job.

I would opine you have opinions of all the officials you see or with whom you work. It's like every other job, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Do the rules now allow a defender to jump into a shooter, chest to chest, if the ball is in the air? Wouldn't that collide with the "cylinder" rule to which Iowa was introduced tonight? If it is still a foul to jump into another player then Purdue had four or five uncalled fouls on Iowa shooters in the first half.

Is it still illegal to jump into your opponent's back when rebounding? Breaking the plane of verticality by physically jumping into or into and over the defender boxing out? If so, Purdue probably evaded another 8 to 10 fouls tonight.

The calls were not the same on the other end of the court. That creates a significant hurdle to overcome; a hurdle that would not exist without dishonesty or incompetence. Since that rat bastard Scriotto has been around for years the B!G must be happy with his work product. I'm thinking almost every coach would privately wish him an NBA career. Scriottos bad calls or no calls hit too often at crucial game changing moments to be explained incompetence. Larry almost always favors the higher profile team or the team the BIG needs to win. He has a pattern and patterns matter in accurately assessing people.

Here's the biggest difference between HS and college officiating. There aren't billions of dollars changing hands in HS ball. The ISBAA does not face having its revenue depend largely on promoting its blue blood franchises for the maximum TV benefit.

I don't even think most officials are duplicitous or dishonest. Can't even name most of the officials, who are probably the best cuz nothing in their games, or by them in games, is very memorable. Having a majority of guys doing their best at a hard thing, does not exclude the existence of a handful of hitmen who read the name on the jersey and knows the expected winner up chain in the B!G offices, and a smaller number of gamblers. Like every other human institution, much corruption and the greater the economic consequences to an institution the greater corruption you get.​

I sincerely wish the B1G would completely scrap their entire roster of refs and find new ones. Their “institutional knowledge”, in my opinion, is what makes them so bad.

They ref the “physical” programs differently than the teams like Iowa.

Every year I am dismayed at how they never get any better.

Fùck Williams is a good player, but dude never leaves the lane.
They call the games like this, refuse to adapt to national norms, and then wonder why Big 10 team crap the bed in the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament every year.

Reactions: iahawks10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT