ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Tennessee Game Thread*****

Tennessee could take a knee on every play and punt and still be guaranteed to win this game.

Tennessee fans are probably thinking another score and they can get comfortable. Iowa fans down seven decided the deficit was too much to overcome.

Reactions: UIAhawk
It is mind boggling that they run empty set shotgun on 3rd and 4 with a pass game that can't do shit. No threat of the run game at all in a short yardage situation on 3r
Beth canning Brian halfway through the season has really saved my blood pressure.

I know it’s insane talk but….I’m really starting to think there’s validity to the argument KF/BF won’t give snaps to the backup as to not be proven wrong…spite?

I know it’s nuts….and I live KF…but can’t come up with another explanation because it’s getting to the point of absurdity.
I started to believe that back when I saw the graphic during a game that showed SP was having one of the worst seasons in history and Iowa was the only D1 team not to give a backup a single snap. I remember that same week Michigan gave game reps to 3 QBs. Even when we had comfortable wins against terrible teams... zero snaps for a backup.

It's hard to explain that. If good teams with successful QBs see the value in getting backups live reps, why else wouldn't a terrible O with an underperforming QB want to at least give a backup some reps? What does that team have to lose? Not wanting controversy to brew, not wanting to be questioned, seems to be a possible reason.

It's a weird phenomenon. All over at every level kids get pulled for bad play. Historically and statistically legendary bad play does not get you pulled from the QB position at Iowa.

I started to believe that back when I saw the graphic during a game that showed SP was having one of the worst seasons in history and Iowa was the only D1 team not to give a backup a single snap. I remember that same week Michigan gave game reps to 3 QBs. Even when we had comfortable wins against terrible teams... zero snaps for a backup.

It's hard to explain that. If good teams with successful QBs see the value in getting backups live reps, why else wouldn't a terrible O with an underperforming QB want to at least give a backup some reps? What does that team have to lose? Not wanting controversy to brew, not wanting to be questioned, seems to be a possible reason.

It's a weird phenomenon. All over at every level kids get pulled for bad play. Historically and statistically legendary bad play does not get you pulled from the QB position at Iowa.
I've had that question in mind for years.

Iowa needs the opponent to make mistakes in order to win games. Turnovers, Penalties, blown assignments, etc.

This Iowa team can't "beat" anyone with a decent talent level. They have to beat themselves, which as we can see, good teams rarely do.

Expect one more half of the Keystone Kops on offense and a very tired Defense.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT